1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having Just Girls As Friends

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lukeluvznicki13, Aug 4, 2013.

1. lukeluvznicki13

Hi guys :slight_smile:
    Recently I have been thinking of this more and more but I seem to have lots more girls that are friends than boys as friends.
    I feel like I can interact with girls more somehow but would it be weird if I invited a girl over to my house or what :s.

Advice? :help:

2. FrostyWhiskers

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was sort of the same way. Well in my early teen years I couldn't talk to girls at all without making a fool of myself. But eventually I started to prefer the friendship of females and right now at this stage in my life all of my closest friends are female.

I think it's partly due to the whole societal expectation that "dudes don't like to talk about their feelings." It's completely untrue, but there seems to be this unwritten rule that men aren't supposed to discuss their feelings with one another.

So while some guys are perfectly content to repress everything others seek the companionship of women since the societal "norm" allows them to talk openly about emotional situations.

At your age it's probably also relatively normal for your parents to assume any girl you hang out with is a potential girlfriend. You might end up getting "the talk" but I see no reason to be apprehensive about bringing any friend home.

3. lukeluvznicki13

LOL I have already been given the "talk" but I'm glad I'm not the only one that has mostly female friendships x]

4. FrostyWhiskers

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you're worried that it will cause your parents to call you out of the closet before you're ready, don't be.

If anything they'll just think you're trying too hard with the girls. Lol.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Most of my friends were female growing up too. Didn't have many friends and while I had a harder time relating to women in general, I happened to pal around with a lot of writers and artists, who just happened to be female. Most of my online friends tend to be guys, however.

6. ron IL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    all my friends are girls beside one of my best friends which is a guy I always hang out with them and they come to my house all the time of curse in the begining it was embarrassing with the way my parent acted but they got use to the idea of me have girls as friends and not as a potential girlfriends (they still think I'm straight :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) just give it time it will work out trust me ^~^

7. Hrantou

Its funny. My mom used to give me long talks about how I needed some guy friends because all I would do is hang out with girls. She told me everyday to go hang out with some guys in school. That's rubbish :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I've always had mostly female friends. I just interact with them better. Guys never seemed to talk to me. I was always "weird" or "awkward" or if they knew I was gay they didn't want me to like them. :dry: although I do have 1 guy friend. That counts for something, right mom? :roflmao:

My advice: Just hang out with whoever you like. If they're good friends and treat you good and are there for you, then who cares if its a man, woman or the talking dog down the street.

8. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That's very common, lots of teenage guys who come out as not being straight feel like girls will accept them more and let them be themselves (in reality, I'd argue teenage girls are just as homophobic, but in a more subtle way, but that's sidetracking). It is definitely true that, due to societal constraints, it's a lot easier to talk about emotions with girls than it is with guys. I remember when I first came out at school, there was a period where I was basically hanging out with girls exclusively. Soon though this became unrewarding and I realized at least half of them were excessively superficial and hollow. Now I'd say I probably have about half male half female in terms of good friends and it's better that way.

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always had mostly male friends, and couldn't imagine a life without them. Well, okay, I can, but it wouldn't be too fulfilling. Never one of the guys, there's still something positive to be said hanging with "the boys"... though I *need* at least a couple of female confidants, especially when it comes to understanding "the other side". :dry:

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's mostly the last thing you mention - girls, or women, depending on age, are more willing to talk about anything. That's why I had a thread about social buffers that a lot of guys need to be comfortable - like sports on the big screen and a beer in hand. So, if you're not into talking about or participating in sports, you may find that a larger percentage of your friends will be girls, though you may still have guy friends you share hobbies with, like if you enjoy mechanical things.

Come to think of it, for the presumably straight guys in high school, I'd say 90% to 95% of their friends were guys, and they either had a girlfriend or played the field.

Like you said, there is homophobia from girls and it shows up differently. I'm willing to talk about some of these situations, since I've reduced the number of these friendships. They might befriend you and treat you like one of the girls, they too can make snide remarks, and if they get married or become involved with a guy, they will drop their male friends in many cases. In a couple of cases, I've known some girls to move along in age and not find anyone, for a variety of reasons, and they can become kind of bitter and snarky, and lash out in unpredictable cycles. I'm having this happen this very week and I'm not willing to deal with her on this basis. She's far away, anyway - a college friend. Currently, most of my close friends are male.

Lastly, for girls who may like you and who you may have once liked, and who typically don't have a collection of male friends and only like guys for dating, they can be homophobic. I was once at a theater with a woman seeing a mainstream movie with a subplot that involved two guys kissing for about 15 seconds. Her fingernails went right into my forearm. Ouch. I've discussed this with one friend and he said that some straight women really dislike gay men because they make them feel dispensable. If a girl is looking to set up a traditional household, the gay, or even bi, guy can't offer her what she desires, such as motherhood with a monogamous partner who is in it for the long-haul. And they really get pissed when the guy is attractive enough, has a good job, and has a decent personality and either learn or suspect this. End of rant.

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have more female than male friends. I find that girls actually understand others, and because most aren't blinded by the hetero-cis-male privilege that a lot of guys have, they're nicer. Girls can be just as terrible, but I like that they're more likely to be open-minded.

12. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My best friends are straight girls and gay guys and my dad often wonders why I don't hang out with straight men because he wants me to meet a guy , of course he doesn't know I am a lesbian , I just blame it on the fact that because of the hobbies I have done in the passed , schools I have been to and subjects I have studied I don't come across straight boys, which is true but these things also stop me having other lesbian friends. I kinda of wish I had friends that liked girls because I get fed up with being the only person in a group who likes other females , so I can understand why you might hang around with straight girls because they like the same gender as you and it can make you feel like you have something in common, so if you want some more male friends your going to find some common ground , some interest you have , I know straight girls are rumoured to be less homophobic but its a sterotype I have meant homophobic straight girls and straight men that fight for gay rights so you just need to find the right sort of accepting friend (if you want too)

13. Love2thefullest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks, good advice, I've kinda been beating myself up lately about not having more than two real guy friends. I can totally relate to u and OP. Before I came out to my parents they always assumed I was jst a pimp or something and tried to force me to hang with more guys. Except for my big brother I don't really connect well with other guys, especially when they're attractive or popular. Plus, the only other gay guy I know at school pretty much asked to have sex with me a week after I came out. I'm not very popular at school so no one really cares enough to ask my sexual orientation but the guys I do know that I've told have literally cut all contact with me since. Yeah...so, I think I'll stick with girls.

14. Convoy

No offense but I'm like the complete opposite of this. I have problems talking with women sometimes. IDK why, but yeah.

Plus just about everyone around here are like the most closed minded backwards people, and yes that includes the girls. The only time I really get to go out and have some fun is with guys, no one else is interested in doing anything :shrug:.

No offense, I think it's fine for a guy to have lots of female friends that they don't have to be involved with but it just hasn't' happened a lot with myself :shrug:.

15. Munyal

All of my close friends are female. We like to do all the same stuff, and I can't talk to guys about guys I like.

Before I came out, most people just thought that I was going to be a dating menace in high school. My parents stopped pushing for me to have guy friends, but they still won't let a girl spend the night. Oh well, this could turn into a rant.

16. ZebraJynx121

I mostly only have girls as friends. The only guy friends I have are just really acquaintances from sports. It also seems that every real guy friend I've made is hated by my parents. It's a lot easier to have girls as friends for me.

17. RocketMoose27

I connect with guys a lot better, so I only have one female friend and I can't see myself with any more than that; Females make me feel awkward, i'm not sure why though.

18. enigmeow

I had lots of friends who were girls.. It was like they could tell I was not a threat

19. swimmertriangle

I can honestly say that I don't even have one guy friend. Sometimes it's hard but in the end if it's what makes you comfortable then go with it. My parents always think that I'm in some sort of relationship but I always say "no" and they tend to get the message. They still don't know that I have no interest in girls, obviously.
    If you want to hang out with girls at your house, go for it. It may be uncomfortable with your parents at first, but in time they'll get used to the idea that you are just friends with girls.

20. UndercoverGypsy

I have and always have had almost only male friends which is (from what I know) less common among gay guys. Honestly, I like it due to being able to check out my bros :lol:, but it's no big deal if you're not in that situation.

Edit: The main reason that I don't hang out with many girls is that quite often they confuse the hell out of me (the obsession to be pretty, the passive aggressiveness to people they don't like, etc). That's from my experiences, though, and it must be said that these are 14 year old girls, so bitchiness is expected in general.