1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Religious View...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MeskElil, May 12, 2008.

1. MeskElil

I was just going to my theology class today (at a Catholic school, with the plaid pleated skirts...ugh, I hate those skirts) and my teacher brought up something very interesting about homosexuality:

When the Bible was written, they didn't have today's science. They believed that the man carried the entire fertilized egg, and that placing it in a woman's body began to make it grow. SO the reason they opposed homosexuality was because they thought that the man was wasting lives...literally.
    ALSO...
    The Old Testament of the Bible only condemns sexuality among men, not women (and this is because of this fact...the woman had nothing to do with reproduction except housing the baby, according to them.)
    And in the New Testament? Paul was just going off what he was taught. And that was still before modern sciences.
    So since that's not true...
    If the Bible was written today, it wouldn't be condemning homosexuality.

:eek:
    Interesting thought, huh?

I just wanted to bring that up in case anyone is really freaked about the Bible :icon_bigg
    Hope it helped someone!

2. simon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i found out a while ago from somewhere that the bible says more bad things about heterosexuals then it has about homosexuals.

anyway what you said makes a lot of sense. i never thought of that before but it helps me think of something better then what was on my mind.

thank you for that.

3. jroakwood

^well. when you think about it. heteros outnumber us, so that would be true.

and thank you for that interesting piece of information.
    (im not freaked out by the bible, but it could be helpful for others who are.)

4. That was really informative. Thank you for sharing that, it could help a lot.

5. Alexander

the ratio is 60:1.

6. sdc91

Whoa, I didn't know that. Ow, males carrying the entire egg, lol.

7. LOVEjames

Dude, that's insane. Your Catholic School is pretty nice since it's not all "KILL TEH FAGULAS." and stuff.

8. pirateninja

I also heard that there was no word for homosexuality in the bible, that they use "men lying with men as they do a woman". They didn't consider it as a sexuality, but merely as heterosexuals raping other men for simply lustful acts.

But yes, thank you for sharing! :thumbsup:

9. Psychedelic Bookmarks

In the days of the old testament they had super rigid gender roles. The whole of society was based on people "playing their part" in society. There was absolutely no space for men or women to explore their own identity, they just had to play the part they were assigned, or society would fall apart.

Homosexuality among men was a big challenge to this rigid structure and could have undermined the whole system. So it had to brutally suppressed.

Homosexuality among women was unlikely because women were so oppressed and would never have had the freedom to even imagine it. So it wasn't seen fit to even mention it, lest it put the thought in women's minds.

10. Leigh

Leigh Guest

wow cool fact.
    thanks!!