1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Organ donation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Azrael, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've been thinking for quite sometime now about this.

Is there such thing as a sacrificial organ donation? Like you would donate your heart or liver to someone who's dying at the cost of your own life? If anything, I'd like to go out that way someday.

2. Nick07

I doubt that such thing is possible. The doctors would have to kill you...

3. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Even if you've already asked for them to do it?

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely not legal. A doctor can't do anything that would cause your death in that sort of situation, even if you ask. Even if you were terminally ill, there are only one or two states where euthanasia / medically assisted suicide is legal, and none where a doctor can do anything that would result in death of an otherwise healthy person.

Now... you can donate one kidney, or part of your liver, because those procedures can be done without undue risk to you. But that's the extent of it.

5. Nick07

But you know... you can give your heart to someone. And I don't mean just by falling in love. But by being there for them and helping the best way you can. That way you will make a big difference in someone's life too and you will be remembered with love *hug*

6. Ridiculous

I believe you would be able to in Switzerland. Aiding suicide is allowed there, provided you are the one who kills yourself (e.g. someone can give you lethal drugs that you take yourself, but they can't give you a lethal injection) and the person who is providing this means isn't doing it 'selfishly'.

Presumably you would be able to donate your organs afterwards, provided the method of death doesn't ruin them.

7. ScatteredEarth

The only possible way you could give your vital organs is if you were to state that you wanted them to be given up after you die of a natural cause (Or not depending on if the body is intact enough, like a gunshot to the head or something similar)

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the US, or at least Illinois, that's what would happen. Not usually, but if say, there was an accident and someone was dying and needed a lung or a heart, they would sacrifice your organs for that person.