1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quitting Empty Closets and the Internet

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vhrebels, Aug 6, 2013.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Hey. So, I've been thinking about life and other stuff like that, and I've come to the conclusion that I should quit using the Internet. I feel like every time that I'm on a computer I could be doing something much more fun, like hiking or playing basketball. I feel like computers are such a waste of time. Just about everyone at my school is obsessed with Facebook and Instagram, and I think it's dumb as hell. Most of my friends agree with me, and we actually do fun stuff, like going to the movies and sneaking out at night instead of playing video games like so much of our culture is doing. And while I appreciate what EC is doing, I have come to the conclusion that I'm not really homosexual. I just went through a phase where I thought other men were handsome, which isn't really gay. I recently lost my virginity to a chick at a party, and it was great, and I really have no desire to do that with other guys at all. So, I'm for sure straight. But anyways, thanks for being such a supportive community!

2. FreeFlow9917

Alright dude take it easy, and have fun with life, see you around. Hell you maybe homo/heteroflexible, but i guess you found your answer. Have fun :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Wells

Wells Guest

Nice to know you've settled with yout sexuality. Lucky you :grin:

4. ScatteredEarth

Best of luck to you in the future.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I feel quitting computers outright is extremely harsh, I understand completely. It can be a major time-sink when you can have as much fun with a more productive activity.

6. BudderMC

Well, I personally disagree with "quitting the Internet", just because the Internet (and social media, which you seem to be referencing more) is so incredibly powerful. It is absolutely no substitute for real, everyday communication/interaction (like you're suggesting), but I think it has a place in our modern lives. Like everything else in life, it's about balance.

Regardless, the best of luck in whatever comes your way. Thanks for contributing to the community. :slight_smile:

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good luck to you, sir. You're right about the internet, to some extent. While it would almost be impossible to live life without it, at least for me, minimizing Facebook and other stuff like that could be good. Previewing things you might buy is one of its good things, though. Have a great rest of the summer.

8. FrostyWhiskers

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well I don't know you, but it's sad to see you go. I hope you find happiness in your future. Swearing off the internet altogether is probably not a very rational decision though. It can be a useful tool.

And while sometimes social media can lead to social degradation it can also be useful for social enrichment. For example I use it to keep up to date with family who I otherwise only see once every blue moon.

And being able to whip out a smart phone and Google something I find can really help aid in a debate or conversation, or help make a social gathering more spontaneous by aiding in the selection of activities on the go. So I would worry that you risk alienating yourself by outright denying yourself the valuable life tool that the internet serves as.

So while ultimately the choice is yours, I would recommend seeking a balance.

9. leer

I feel the whole internet? thats going to be difficult I would try & reduce the amount of internet time . hope you pop back now & again .

10. Jimi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't know why people can't be on the internet and have a life as well. I always did great in school and I was always on here. & I made time for friends and events. I guess it's just more difficult for some people and I don't understand your situation. Well, goodluck to you!
    I'm just happy to know there's one more open-minded straight guy out there who has no problem with us :3

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best of luck to you off of EC, and congrats on coming to a conclusion.

I do have to agree with BudderMC and Leer on this: The internet isn't really something worth quitting altogether. There's so much more than just Facebook, EC and Instagram. It's got a whole world of information as well as sides of things to look at a certain topic from.

Not only that, but it's a very necessary tool in the business world today. You wouldn't believe how many businesses, both big and small take advantage of the internet. To communicate to someone billions of miles away while still seated at your nice comfy bed or couch is extraordinary. People get hired that way, believe it or not.

My guess is that the internet will be so much of a part of our lives that it will be inevitable to use it in the next 20 years.

12. Capsaicin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Internet has its uses, but less is always more in my opinion. It's a matter of moderation. Good on you for getting out and doing things, though.

I'm something of a computer nerd, but even I don't understand the obsession with the Internet. At its best it connects various opinions, experiences, and discussions in a concise and open-ended way for the benefit of all, but at its worst and most common it's just a platform that encourages an inherently self-centered species to talk, talk, and talk some more about themselves and get addicted to the attention.

#12 Capsaicin, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  13. FreeFlow9917

Hey, if you ever come back, just know we be here