1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed limits on roads

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dustin Broke, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

Just wondering about this but has anyone in here ever got a speeding ticket for just going 5 mph faster than speed limit? I know they say the 9 mph rule meaning anything faster than that they will likely get you but does the cops ever get someone that's only going 5 mph faster? Or no one in the world will ever get a ticket for going 5 mph faster than speed limit on a highway or interstate or anywhere.

2. MrBrightside

In the UK u dont get done if ur less than 10% over the limit. Though there are plans to make it if u go 1mph over u will get done...

Never been caught before though, thankfully :slight_smile:

3. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

My moms boyfriend use to be a military cop and he said that he would only get someone that is over 9 mph but just wondered that if cops will ever get someone just over 5 mph? Or do they only get someone that is over basically around 10 mph?

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2013 at 05:24 PM ----------

Are you saying that less than 10% you are safe? Does that mean 5 mph is fine. Or does everyone get caught at 5 mph? I have it hard to believe that they will get you at 5 mph or so.

#3 Dustin Broke, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  4. LD579

It likely depends. Some cops would just pull you over in a snap.

5. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

This is true. A lot of them just have a stick up their ass. Or a quota to meet.

I usually just go with the flow of traffic. It's a good idea to make sure there's at least one person going faster than you are too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got pulled over for going 8 over in a 45 mph zone at about 3am, with NOBODY on the road. The cop was manning a speed trap and popped me, but upon finding out I wasn't a hooligan, let me off with a warning. I was a lucky sonofagun. :slight_smile:

7. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A cop once caught me going 65 mph in a 45 mph zone. He just motioned me to slow down, no ticket. But I was super lucky, I wouldn't recommend doing that.

8. timo

So far I've never got a speeding ticket, even though I usually drive 10 - 20 km/h too fast (and with my new car it's even worse). Let's hope I'll never get one :grin:

9. Foxface

in Chicago it's mostly 10-15 over...in LaGrange Illinois I got busted for 3 over on a certain road

Foxface

10. josh9623

Here they don't write a ticket unless you are going at least 7 over. though i will admit to going 10-15 over but i have never gotten a ticket of any kind

11. FreeFlow9917

My step dad got one for going 81 on 65

12. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

Well I never got a ticket for speeding but just wanted to know that if 5 mph at most is totally fine. But seems like you guys are saying anything 10 mph or over they will get you so I guess 5 mph or less is totally safe. Or does it have to be 4 mph or less to be safe? Seems like everyone here is going around 10 mph or faster and getting warnings but no one is getting for 5 mph or lower.

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2013 at 10:16 PM ----------

But usually I show down if I am going over 5 mph like if I went 15 mph faster and I see one I would slow down. But seems like 5 mph or less is totally ok. I use to speed a lot when I went to see my ex boyfriend since he lived 65 miles away from me and I went fast as 106 mph but I never stayed at that speed since there were curves and stuff so I had to slow down on a highway.

But for around 5 years I haven't speeded anymore only went like 5 mph faster at most but just wanted to know if 5 mph is totally ok and safe.

#12 Dustin Broke, Aug 6, 2013
  13. LD579

Alternatively, you could abide by the limits completely, just to be safe. There is no hard set-in-stone 'rule' besides the speed limit.

EDIT: In response to your post below: yes, people can get tickets for that.

#13 LD579, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  14. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

But does anyone really get a ticket for just going 5 mph faster? I mean that is very small amount of speed. Like in a highway going just 5 mph should be fine I think. I see a lot of people doing that on the roads. I know forsure that going 4 mph or less will be safe but just don't know about 5 mph.

15. Beware Of You

I speed sometimes in Ireland never gotten into trouble, yesterday I was going 150kph down the Motorway (120 limit)

16. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

Well people seem to talk about going faster than 10 mph but seems like no one talks about going 5 mph faster which is around 9 kph faster than speed limit. I just don't know if I will be totally safe going 5 mph faster. I only been going 5 mph faster at most at times but just don't know if they will get you for just going 9 kph or 5 mph faster than speed limit.

17. BlueLines

I have only gotten one ticket for going 70 in a 55. I only got written for 5 over. Never doing that again.

18. LD579

I'll leave it at this: you can toy around with speed limits, but ultimately, life isn't a race of speed. If you're running late or must get to places earlier, route planning or having extra time on hand (And so allocating tasks and such can become a factor) should get the job done, but not driving slightly over the limit. That's just... almost asking for a ticket, I'm tempted to say.

If, despite what I've said, you still are alright with driving over the limit, expect a ticket or four sometime in your life =/

19. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

Well a ton of people say that 5 mph is too small to get a ticket so I just wanted to see if that's true. Everyone says that going 10 mph or faster will likely get you one but a ton of people say 5 mph is only like 9 kph so it's too close to speed limit. I talked to other people that I know and also on online.

But if you are saying that going anything over speed limit like even 2 mph faster then why do everyone say that 5 mph is not going to get a ticket since it's too close to speed limit.

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2013 at 11:30 PM ----------

It seems like from what you are saying that you can't even go 1 mph faster.

Also btw on my car if my car reads I' am going exactly at lets say 45 mph I' am actually going 42 mph. I noticed every car isn't reading the exact speed. The speed meters aren't 100% they are off 3 mph. This is something I wanted to tell everyone since it's true fact.

#19 Dustin Broke, Aug 6, 2013
  20. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends if the officer feel like bring harse or not. Some will only warn you if it first offence others will just give you a ticket. I never cośerienced this but i know people who have.