1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Carrie Bradshaw Syndrome: Is Narcissism Directly Connected to Quality of Art?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NEWFrontiers22, Aug 7, 2013.

1. NEWFrontiers22

Here a link to the actual article -

The Carrie Bradshaw Syndrome: Is Narcissism Directly Connected to Quality of Art? | Art Nouveau Magazine | High Style in Hard Times
    ----------------------------------------------------

I love “Sex and the City.” I’m just going to throw that out there right now, because it is true and there is no point in denying it, especially within the context of this article. I am a gay man so it may not come as a huge surprise to many, though there are many gay critics of the show, especially of the Brooklyn hipster persuasion (don’t be offended, you know it’s true). Though I enjoy the show’s many episodes and movies (the second one not so much), there are certain aspects of the show that I find irritating, based mostly on the fact that they exaggerate aspects of New York City life dramatically. Being a former New Yorker, I can safely say that my days and weeks were not filled with gallery openings and fabulous dinners at chic new restaurants. Life in New York was hard, albeit fabulous, despite my limited means.

One thing about “Sex and the City” that I noticed that definitely holds truth in modern society was the main character’s obsession with herself. It really actually started to make me mad how much Carrie Bradshaw was so absorbed in her own life that she made it a point to one-up all of her friends, who, uncannily, always seemed to experience ups and downs that related to her own troubles, be it about shoes, sex, or the merciless consequences of living in turn-of-the-century New York City. This sort of narcissism seemed only to appear in her own storylines, and therefore, would be reflected in her inexplicably well-paying weekly column in the fictional newspaper The New York Star. As she seems to be the only “artist” of the show’s four main characters, I couldn’t help but wonder: is narcissism directly connected to quality of art? Or is she just a selfish bitch?

Of course, with any sort of art form, it is hard to be completely humble. If one wants to succeed in the art world, be it visual art, theatre, music, etc., one must have some sense of confidence if they are going to grow skin thick enough to endure rejection or any sort of bad press. But does that mean we have to abandon all ties to basic humility? Carrie Bradshaw certainly has compassion for her fictional friends, yet she seems to hold herself to a much higher degree of respect, as all she talks about is herself. Yet in modern society, such pressure is placed upon an artist to make themselves heard; to make themselves stand out enough that they will get attention. Self-promotion is a terribly shameless way to aide in one’s commercial success, yet the dog-eat-dog world of publicized promotion seems to consume all modern artists, but only because it is basically demanded of anyone that wants to make money in modern commercial art.

Some artists thrive on this inherent narcissism, yet I personally feel that some artists unnecessarily adapt this trend to fit in. There are people like Madonna and Kanye West that chow down on the fertile grains provided by their preceding reputations, and I am not one to criticize that. I love Madonna (Kanye West is another story), but she is definitely reliant on her own reputation to further her career. She knows that she is a pop idol, and that she was a massive influence that continues to inspire the work of modern pop artists. And I think she deserves that kind of recognition, mostly because she really did change everything in the realm of modern pop music. No one’s got shit on Madonna. Kanye West may be unfairly entitled in that way, as he thinks he is the next coming of Christ, but his arrogance has definitely benefited him commercially. He is definitely a very public figure, and though many are disgusted by his arrogance, it has definitely aided in his album sales and his exposure in general.

The same is true with Sri Lankan hip-hop absurdist M.I.A.: she had two solid albums, yet then inexplicably followed these encouragements with a misguided commentary on modern technology with her third album /\/\/\Y/\, and a relentless series of publicity stunts featuring her saliva splattered on a photographer’s lens and a middle finger to America at the Superbowl. Desperation is not a pretty color on those who wish to be fashionable in modern American art, yet somehow we seem to eat it up. Have we really lost our senses? Where has our hearing gone if we devote time to listen to the “dark twisted fantasy” of an undeserving narcissist like Kanye West? How can we truly see if we are blinded by the terribly ostentatious acts performed by tragically hypocritical people like M.I.A.?

On the other hand, there is a safe amount of terribly underrated mainstream artists working towards some sort of greater good. People can shit on Lady GaGa all they want, blaming her for copying Madonna (when it really was just an homage, and you know it), yet they seem to forget the countless efforts this MUSICIAN (yeah, I said it; she writes her own fucking music after all) has taken to further acceptance of all walks of life, most notably gay culture. Yes, Lady GaGa has definitely made a name for herself within the sphere of pop culture, yet she still takes time and money to better the lives of her fans, whether it be the millions of dollars she spends on her live shows or the time she has sacrificed to enrich tolerance for certain oppressed cultures that she feels are important in terms of progress for her fellow humans.

Lana Del Rey is likewise an undeserving victim of rampant narcissism. She came out with a few stellar singles that wet our collective appetite for a new and exciting solo female artist in the realm of modern independent music, yet one misunderstood and dramatically over-criticized appearance on Saturday Night Live has most of her once-devoted public ripping her apart for reasons bordering on the ridiculous, including her “publicity-fueled” name change and a terribly unfair criticism of her live persona, causing her to cancel her long-awaited North American tour in support of her debut album, Born To Die. Critics nailed her on this album, especially Pitchfork (surprise surprise), yet it is way more relatable and admirable than most critics would give her credit for. Her timing may have been off with her sudden name change from her former persona, and she may have been a bit too big for her britches by accepting a starring role on SNL so early in her career, but I think this was not her doing. In my opinion it is the fault of her overzealous recording contract that thrust her into this tragically misguided journey. LDR seems to have fallen prey to the incessantly intolerant and self-proficient recording industry much more than the perceived notion that she manipulated and mangled her own persona and artistic vision that she had seen for herself. The fact that everyone blames her for being a “fabrication” of the record industry is incredibly unfair, especially since she really is very talented.

Something I find odd is that many musicians and bands have started to self-title their albums. Back in the day, this was something musicians did for their first album. Nowadays it is rampant amongst mainstream and independent musicians alike. Are they just being lazy? Or do they want to self-title the record just to ensure they will be remembered, perhaps for their best record? Wisconsin music collective Bon Iver self-titled their second album, praised by many as the best album of 2011. Is it strategy? Laziness? Perhaps an artistic statement? I really couldn’t tell you. Perhaps it’s just coincidence. On the other hand, it might just be that peppering of narcissism that every artist needs to exercise, whether they care to admit that they are doing so or not. I know for a fact some of these artists would deny they have a self-absorbed bone in their body, yet as I pointed out before, anyone in the entertainment industry must have some sense of self-pride, as no one would buy anything if they didn’t think he/she created something the creator was proud of, in any way.

An industry is very difficult to control. Producers are ruthless creatures, whether they are involved with music, theatre, film – anything. Capitalism demands a terribly high price for fame, as the entertainment industry is for the most part the top of the capitalist pyramid, especially in America. Movie stars and pop idols rake in millions of dollars, but one must wonder… at what cost do these icons achieve stardom? I have heard countless stories from friends who have encountered celebrities, and some of them are almost horrifying, as many friends of mine have had to deal with veritable nightmares when it comes to famous people. Yet when I hear these anecdotes, I can’t necessarily discern why someone would act like that. Is it the narcissism?

Actors, in particular, are pigeonholed as narcissists. It is widely believed that to be an actor, one must carry oneself with a certain degree of self-confidence and an insatiable desire for attention. Similarly, musicians feed off a crowd’s energy. If a musician isn’t doing well at a live show, the tension is palpable, and the artist’s performance will suffer due to a loss in confidence. Artists need to be pumped up, intrigued, inspired by those who come to witness their art. There’s a sense of superiority that an artist feels, because they feel like they have something special to offer that no one else really can. Maybe that’s we pay attention to them. I generally don’t like narcissists, but as a writer, singer, musician, and actor, I can definitely understand the need for approval and appreciation.

I think the truth is that most artists are incredibly insecure. We use narcissism as a defense mechanism; we use it to negate the potential naysayers. If we pump ourselves up enough, and think that we are the bee’s knees, then we gain the ability to repel the possible attacks of our prospective critics. We use narcissism as a veritable shield, deflecting fiery tongues of critics but also our own fears. We don’t want to be shamed. We don’t want to be belittled. A true artist puts their whole life energy into their work, their art. The last thing we want to hear is that it’s crap. But maybe instead of employing this narcissism, we should find a way to thicken our skin against these attacks. I find it hard to believe that anyone would want to be a narcissist (unless they were really, REALLY hot). I’m pretty sure everyone recognizes it as a fairly unattractive quality. I’m not saying I have any sort of solution, because I know the pain of hearing that my art is sub-par. But that doesn’t mean we all have to turn into Carrie Bradshaws. We are gifted and special. And no one can take that away from us, no matter how hard anyone tries. No amount of narcissism is going to change that.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a chapter in James Ogilvy's book Living Without a Goal that deals directly with narcissism. How it is an undesirable, but understandable consequence of the insecurity of the stuff we work on.

The biggest ranchers in Texas could afford to say they've got "a few cows" because they knew that these tangible beasts can be counted on not to disappear overnight..."Not so with admen in New York or agents in Hollywood, where hype is everything. The levels of politics and interpersonal skills are notoriously low in the academic world because the people there have so little that is physical and tangible to show for their achievements. Consequently they become just a little desperate about their self-esteem. You meet more narcissists among scholars and writers than among carpenters and bricklayers. Why? I it is not just a matter of economics. Rather, it is a question of the solidity of the medium in which one works."

Ogilvy goes on to talk about the sheer volatility of wealth in the realms of "...intangibles like popularity, credit, exchange rates, interest rates, reputations or sudden changes in financial or show-biz market values".

His solution to narcissism as a response to all this volatility is...more narcissism, but the kind he calls "narcissism degree zero". Narcissism is divided by psychologists into two categories: Primary, which is the child's narcissism (relatively harmless) and secondary narcissism which is the less innocent egotistical self-love. Ogilvy proposes a tertiary narcissism which is even more undesirable, the "...preoccupation with self without an appreciation of the self...Tertiary narcissism is self-love locked in coitus with self-hatred."

As a solution, Ogilvy proposes backing up, to "narcissism degree zero". Examples cited are the writer, Norman Mailer, who wrote a book called Advertisements for Myself and Muhammad Ali, the one who used to proclaim loudly "I am the greatest!"

Ogilvy writes: "Narcissism degree zero achieves a benign annihilation of self through a self-involvement so thorough that the nothingness, the nihil at the heart of self, cannot fail to be discovered. Narcissism degree zero swallows its own navel. By setting high on a pedestal of exhibitionistic display, narcissism degree zero renders itself purposely vulnerable to incendiary laughter and ridicule. It is a dangerous game that deconstructs the Goal of self-realization even as it appears to construct a monumental ego."

In the examples above (Mailer, Ali) and others like Nietzsche who wrote "Why I am so Wise" Ogilvy explains that we are witnessing a kind of "goofing on the precious self. This patently self-conscious wallowing in self-adulation turns out to be reductio ad absurdum of preoccupations with self."

What he is getting at is that narcissism degree zero is a way of revealing to others and to oneself the "insubstantiality of self" the collapsing of all this bluster into an undefined "self".

He ends the chapter thus: "I want to see T-shirts proclaiming, "I'm a narcissist, and proud of it!" Narcissists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your narcissism. And to gain? Groves of golden hearts."

#2 greatwhale, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013