1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you accept yourself?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Oxelotl, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Oxelotl

Okay. Today officially marks one year since I accepted myself as Gay, and no longer denied it, even though it was obvious (to me anyway). Going to be honest it feels awesome to no longer hate myself for being gay. Just got heaps of other reasons now (!) (!)

Anyway so I was just curious. When did you accept yourself? What age were you when you accepted you were gay? Was there a lot of denial or did you even notice until one day you literally just realized? I'm just bored and curious here :slight_smile:

2. RocketMoose27

I found out when I was in 5th(Or 6th?) grade when I just suddenly thought "I never kissed a girl before, I don't really want to either... I think I like guys more!",
    which led to me denying the pretty obvious thoughts and feelings until 7th grade, which is when I finally accepted myself because I knew that it was something that can't be helped. (!)

I'm still keeping my closet welded shut, the moose guarding it isn't getting any breaks either.

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Still working on it, I'm afraid...

4. Niko

Found out what I was last year and it took me a few months to really accept it.

5. timo

I realised I was gay at 21, and accepted it soon after.

6. treeofleaves

i used to think to myself "omg, what if i am a lesbian!? i dont want to be a lesbian! omg. blabalblablabla" ...thing is i dont even know why i thought that. i just was always so against being a lesbian (not that i had anything against lesbians)..and then i realized i didnt want to be with a lesbian because i did like boys...but then i realized i may also like girls too. so on valentines day this year..i thought "hey, i think im bisexual"..and well i accepted it as soon as i realized it.

but like RocketMoose27 - the cupboard door is stilling staying glued shut!

:bang:

7. Gekko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Today I was thinking in this.

I accepted I am gay last year too!, in april. I was visiting forums like this one because I thought I might be gay, so I was researching on the subject. After being more informed I saw a documentary, so the bible tells me so, after watching it I realized It was ok to be me :slight_smile:
    becoming more confortable with myself was another issue though.

8. InactiveUser1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think i never truly acepted it.. even though i think im bisexual ...something just doesnt stuck well... or i haven't experienced as much as i should... but oh welll

9. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Earlier this summer...er rather in the fall actually. First realized it the cusp of middle school and high school. Denial for two years, accepted it went into denial again and now I accept it. I have a bad case of denial. My mega case of denail ended when I ended up sleeping with a guy, and made him think that the night was a mistake when it actually wasn't. I'm quite fond of cuddling with a guy and all that.

10. Hrantou

I never really denied it. I always knew I was gay, I just didn't like it. So I can say that I was happy with being gay about a year ago. Now I can't imagine life any other way for me.

11. FucSoc

FucSoc Guest

I realized I'm probably gay two and a half months ago.
    After that, it took me something like month and a half to truly accept and love myself
    I denied it without noticing haha.. I couldn't ignore my feelings anymore when I fell in love with a woman

12. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i knew i was a girl from the time i was 4. i started reaaally liking boys at 11 but that wasnt surprising to me cuz it just went along with it.

i guess in some ways i have always accepted myself. like i have always accepted that inside i WAS a girl. but that doesnt mean thats how others will see you. and i guess cuz of that i will never fully accept myself. even the times when i dont look in the mirror and want to smash it cuz i hate my own face - the times i actually FEEL pretty and femme, even though it feels right to ME it feels like others will only see it as a lie. like the only way i am real to them is if i am lying to myself and living as a boy :frowning2: the irony is though even then i was judged for being too femme.

ohh wellll all you can do is fight it right? im nothing if not a survivor. we all are here i think. we have to be cuz life will always be a battle for us. im just glad i have such awesome allies. lgbt FTW!!

13. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I haven't really because I'm not so sure what I am. I think I might be straight but it's so difficult to decipher...

14. biggayguy

I'm going to say 1998 is when I came out to myself. After that I felt like Alice falling down the rabbit hole. In the space of two years I went from straight to bi', republican to libertarian and protestant to catholic. It was a bit overwhelming! It's been a fun and frightening ride. (!):confused: BTW I was thirty five when this all started.

#14 biggayguy, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  15. FrostyWhiskers

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I realized something was up around 11. Then I accepted it around the age of 14-15ish. Then I forgot about it because I was distracted by boobies. Then I slowly came to accept it. Then I retreated into denial around 20-21ish. And I flirted on and off with it between then but came back into acceptance recently after thinking long and hard about what I lost because of my denial

So if I were to average out all of the ages at which I fully accepted it...we get 22.

16. Night

Night Guest

Never really had to accept myself one day, because I always did accept myself.

It was years ago when I confronted it head on, though, to others. Just as simple, but still quite the drama that happened with it.

17. blueberrymuffin

Couldn't deny it anymore by age 12, but struggled to accept it for a solid year after that.

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that most people are somewhat sexually honest with themselves, especially after 25 or 30. It's not like you had a wider than average range of sexual experiences and said to yourself, "No, I didn't like that, I was just experimenting, and it will pass." If you went back for more, you probably liked it, so that belief is untenable. I think that, instead, they wonder whether or not other people will accept who they are or, rather, what they like to do between the sheets.

19. trumpetnerd

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I actually cried when I first realized I was bisexual, I was still really religious back then. It took me a few months to accept it.

20. Abbra

I fully accepted myself when I was fourteen during my freshman year of high school. I never felt so relieved and yet so trapped.