1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

social anxiety disorder

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AsIUsedToBe, Aug 9, 2013.

1. AsIUsedToBe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone else have this? how do you calm your self, tips and such?
    I finally went to the doctor, and they said it sounds like I have social anxiety.
    Some of my examples I told them:
    -when I have a speech in a class I get all shakey, and I start sweating a lot and turn very red. And after i'm finished with the speech I don't even remember what I said, because of how much I was freaking out.
    -it's hard form me to talk to people even when getting a hair cut or at the cash register.

-I only usually feel comfturable around friends and family.

there is just a lot of things I have to deal with on a day to day basis. I'm just feeling to lazy/tired to type it all out lol

I started taking medication two days ago I hope it helps out. I've tried thinking about things that make me calm and relaxed, slow deep breathes, ect.. When I start panicing it usually didn't help.
    Any tips, comments will be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

2. Perseus

:slight_smile: that used to happen to me. But I think it all went away when I started to come out, which is probably completely the opposite. I just think about what to say over and over again in my head before I say it out loud. I'm still scared of talking to my hair stylist though...

3. justjade

I have social anxiety, too. One of the things that helped me a lot was something I learned while training to be an insurance agent. My trainer told me that "People don't care". He said everyone has their own stuff going on. I've realized that I always worried about what people think of me, and telling myself that people aren't going to remember me or what I do beyond running into me, and if they do, there's nothing I can do to control that. If they want to dwell on how awkward I am or the things I do, that's they're problem, not mine.

I still hide from people I know in public. I just don't want to talk to people at random. I don't pick up the phone when people call me if I don't feel like talking to them. I've realized that, even beyond my social anxiety, I am pretty anti-social. Social situations just make me anxious, and I'm OK with that. It's all about just not letting it bother you, I guess. You have to recondition yourself after getting to the root of the problem. Meditation helps, too.

Also, as far as medication, I don't react well to it. I'm very sensitive to medicine, especially narcotics and benzodiazepines. SSRI's are kind of hit and miss for me. I wish you the best of luck.

4. LinkLarkin

I have social anxiety too, it's really hard :frowning2: And I always wonder if I'm the only person who doesn't talk to hairdressers so thank you for making me realise I'm not alone! :grin:

Personally I'm having counselling at the moment, primarily for depression but I've made it pretty clear to them that I need help with social anxiety too so I'll have to let you know if they give me any helpful tips over the course of my sessions!

This is all really good advice. The other thing I've read that helps is forcing yourself into social situations, no matter how uncomfortable they make you, and eventually you get used to it. I don't think I could do that unless my counsellor practically forced me too though. I had to push to get one on one sessions instead of group counselling, but I have a feeling they'll tell me eventually that group counselling is going to help with the social anxiety. We'll see anyway! Good luck with your medication, I really hope it works for you! :slight_smile:

5. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

I think I have social anxiety but I have never actually talked to a doctor about it before...I just talked to them about depression...I don't feel like bringing this up right about now. I am hoping that being on Zoloft helps with it, it's suppose to treat depression and anxiety. :/ I dunno.

6. FloatingPiano

I have social anxiety, but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. At one point I used to skip school when I knew I had to give a presentation!

What helped me was actually just me making an executive decision to change. I started forcing myself to be in the situations that made me uncomfortable.

I ended up getting over my fear of public speaking by just doing it a lot. I am now actually confident in pursuing my dream of becoming a teacher. :slight_smile: I even gave a speech at an art conference this year to 300+ people!

I do still get nervous, but I realize now that it's not so bad. :slight_smile:

Now, the next thing I have to work on though is mo social anxiety of seeing people I know when I go out.

7. animequeen567

I also have social anxiety. And what justjade said is what I generally do. I just keep in my mind that people don't really care. They come and go, but they are worried about other things.

I tend to be okay when I'm with friends, but I do get nervous talking to people I know in public. I sometimes try to avoid people I know but don't know well. Seems a lot of us have that issue though it seems.

8. smartsunny

i had it yrs ago but i worked on it very hard(well my mum forced me) by putting myself in social situations... and meds but still personal effort is what fixes it

9. Sorcerer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lots of people have it. Alcohol helps (in small quantities) which is why it's served at parties and functions.

10. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah I have it, but mines on and off, but I noticed the more I go out the less severe it is.. Or it just goes. But when I'm at home too long.. It comes back..

Alcohol works, but sometimes it doesn't work at all and makes things worse. But remembering people have their own problems helps a lot.

But I've dramatically improved anyway.. one thing that will always trigger it will be with situations that links to why I had it in the first place.

Also knowing how fragile humans are.. just makes me realize how ridiculous I can be with the paranoia.

P.S Don't take "Prescribed" medication.. use alternatives like natural remedies.. Meditation helps a lot, and eat healthy.

11. Bear101

Can I recommend that you try out Toastmasters? It's an organization that helps you learn to do public speaking. Part of each meeting is what they call Table Topics where you have 1-2 minutes to speak in an impromptu manner on a subject.

I've found that the more you practice public speaking, the less anxiety you have about being around people.

I also have a PTSD and anxiety, so I've learned a TON of tools about dealing with anxiety. Most days they work. Some days, they don't.

12. LinkLarkin

Other people's responses to this have been a bit of a revelation for me. I'm actually a really, really confident public speaker. I don't mind giving presentations at all, I've been told by people who've seen me speak that I could easily make a career out of it, and at one point I was seriously considering doing that. It's purely when I'm in a social situation and I'm expected to contribute things off the top of my head, my mind just freezes and I refuse to speak. And I'm terrified of answering the telephone and usually just let it ring out if I'm home alone, although that doesn't have a patch on the excuses I make to avoid having to initiate a telephone conversation.

Everybody else with social anxiety disorder seems to be focused more on speaking situations than social situations but I'm the other way round. :confused: Weird that.

13. I have a hard time following advice to overcome social anxiety. I'm too impatient and scared to go through any advice that would help. I just feel safe avoiding any kind of social interaction. But I do go to the store when I need to and pay bills. that's only it.

14. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with it. I'm afraid of seeing people I know in public. If I know you and I see you in a store or something, I won't talk to you, I won't look at you or anything. That being said, if you do know me and you do see me, for my own sake, don't say hi to me, don't look at me, just carry on.

I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with it. I used to take Buspar, which is a toned-down version of Xanax, but it made me so loopy I couldn't drive. And I got really peppy when I took it. So now I don't know what to do.

555th post. YAY!!!!!

15. GayNerd

Though I have not been tested for it, I am pretty sure I have Social Anxiety. What I do to calm down is I just walk it off while breathing slowly. Walking slowly. Even though it only works about a little more than half of the time, it helps.

16. Djinn

I'm still suffering from SA, so much so that I lurk on most websites and never introduce myself.

It's good to know that public speaking is perhaps the biggest phobia America shares. Even the less anxious will sometimes struggle with presentation and articulation. In fact, any good oral communications class will spend two or so weeks on managing the anxiety.

Anxiety isn't the bad guy, it's just something that gets out of hand in inappropriate circumstances and you can never fully get rid of it. You just have to accept that it'll be there and take control of it.

One fact that I learned is that it's okay to present yourself as shy in more casual situations. We often get embarrassed because we're supposed to be more outgoing and charming. After a while, it gets exhausting to keep up a mask. Instead, I make it a point to be more bashful: to smile and make eye contact even while shaking and blushing. People sometimes do see bashfulness and embarrassment as a positive thing.

Just go with the flow and don't try too hard to focus on how you want to say something as opposed to simply what you want to say. And even after taking two classes on public speaking, I still get nervous. It just happens.

17. pancake111

Ive had it my whole life. I'm doing a bit better now, but it''s not fun.

18. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think Social Anxiety disorder doesn't apply here.

1. Public Speaking gets most people this way. Many well known actors have little tricks they have to play to be on the stage and will confess to anxiety at being on public display. they are just good actors and hide it well.

2. Talking to strangers - you are shy. An introvert - this isn't social anxiety disorder.

3. Everyone feels more comfortable with people they know over strangers.

What is social anxiety disorder really?

Social anxiety disorder causes unreasonable, debilitating fear of being judged or publicly humiliated. You may avoid or severely limit encounters with other people-which can keep you from daily activities. You may develop physical symptoms such as a rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, or tightness in your chest when faced with a feared social situation.

When you have social anxiety disorder, common social situations-such as eating in public, writing in front of other people, using a public restroom, or speaking in front of others-can cause overwhelming fear and anxiety.

source: Social Anxiety Disorder-Symptoms

You said nothing about overwhelming fear and anxiety. It being hard to talk to strangers is one thing - your being scared out of your wits to talk to them is another. If are scared out of your wits, then you may have social anxiety disorder.

I would really love to hear what it is your doctor is basing this diagnosis on. How long did he talk to you in hours... What, it was a general 15 minute office visit... That ain't enough time to explore what is wrong with you. Oh I see he threw a prescription at you for mind altering drugs.

Shyness and Introversion are what you most likely have - Have no fear, the majority of sufferers end up living a long productive life.

Now there are tricks to get over acting like you are shy or an introvert.

I strongly urge you to seek a second opinion, with a therapist. And until then get off those drugs before they muck you up inside. A therapist is usually a psychologist, they don't have an MD and don't prescribe medications. Instead they spend an hour or two with you a week talking and exploring with you what makes you tick.

I bet you don't even need pills to function in society, I bet your therapist will come up with several useful 'tools' you can use to function.

19. justjade

I am afraid of chat rooms. SH! Don't tell anyone.

20. biggayguy

That's me too! After saying Hi! I just freeze up and lurk. Message boards are less pressure to say something quickly. Whenever I have to speak in public it helps to be over prepared. I have note cards or an outline to follow that I know forwards and backwards.