1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleeping in the same bed with friends

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by prism, Aug 9, 2013.

1. prism

Two friends are staying in my apartment for a few days. I normally sleep on two twin beds pushed together, so I figured I would just let them each take one. After persistently demanding that I sleep in the bed with them, they finally gave up and let me sleep on the couch. I know it's not odd for friends to sleep in the same bed, but I am not "out" to either of them.

I guess my logic is that when they eventually find out, they won't think back to this time and think that it was weird, or that I was taking advantage of them.

Has anyone else dealt with this? What's the protocol? I feel more comfortable sleeping in the same bed with guy friends because I know it's 100% platonic on my end, but with girls... uncharted territory!

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I worried about that, but since coming out, my guy friends still let me sleep on the same mattress. I don't think that it'll cause any harm.

3. Abbra

I would sleep in the same bed as my friends, but I have the tendency to kick in my sleep.

However, I understand the anxiety, because I was the same way when I was still in the closet. I tried to avoid sharing a bed as much as possible. Just remember that it's not a very big deal. If you're doing it right then you should be, well, sleeping.

4. maracont

The awkward area between bible belt and large city
    Yeah.. I sorta have a friend that I have a crush on but doesn't know I'm bisexual and I make a bit of a point to invite him when I'm having a sleepover. We don't sleep in the same bed..
    But he's really cute in his pajamas. I watch him sleep. O_O
    Did I mention I'm sorta creepy?

5. leer

I could never sleep in the same bed as anyone dont think it has anything to do with my sexuality its just that I couldn't switch off .The problem still occurs now & again but it was worse when I was younger.

6. Doshyboi

Doshyboi Guest

ehh I'm out and I've slept in beds with lots of straight boys.
    Sleep is sleep not to be confuzzled with 'sleeping with'
    Also I think it shows that you are confident with yourself

7. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I slept in the same bed with straight female friends before I came out and nothing has changed since in regards to sleepovers , they are like sisters to me and nothing would happened just like If I slept in a bed with a straight male friend because only one of us is attracted the gender we are sharing a bed with. I know a straight girl who says she wouldn't share a bed with straight male friends though cause they think It might be awkward which I don't get cause I would share a bed with a lesbian friend who I knew as only a friend, as others have said its only sleep, but me nah there not fussed because the know im not going to try anything . The only time sleeping ever been akward is when me and my my gay male friend got VERY drunk and were sharing a bed and he kept trying to touch me up thinking I was a guy and I would push him away

8. ScatteredEarth

The irony I find in this thread is that when my friend comes to stay for the week or so, he always sleeps in the same bed as me because I have a queen sized mattress that's comfortable af..

The actual irony part is that he's very homophobic to an extent.. He's even told me once that he wouldn't allow his kid to be gay, yet he doesn't mind some gay guys.

I think it's less weird to have someone sleep in the same bed as you if you don't have any attractions to the other person. My friend just so happens to be of opposite race so that helps a bit (Please don't race flame me :c) and I view him as purely a best friend.

9. Awkward Balloon

The night that I came out to my best guy friend who I've known since I was 5, we shared a bed. :slight_smile: He seemed to have no problem with it and even now, none of my friends mind sharing a bed or being close to me. :grin:

10. DrAdam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Slept in the same bed with straight guy friends who knew my preferences as they realise I am not interested in them or anything like that. Slept in the same bed with girls as well who have also known about me and again it's been no problem. Nothing sexual about it, it was just that or the floor!

11. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've shared the same bed with two straight female friends before on separate occasions, and the only real issue was that I didn't get a wink of sleep each time.

With one girl, I couldn't sleep because I was madly in love with her, and I was nervous/excited/anxious like crazy to be sleeping beside her on her bed.

With the other girl, we shared a twin bed on a couple occasions, and I just couldn't sleep because it was so cramped and uncomfortable. I can really only sleep comfortably when I'm alone.

I was not and still am not out to either of them. I do share your same concern that if I come out to them in the future, they might look back on these times we shared a bed and feel weirded out by it. I hope not though.

There's no protocol for what you should do in these situations, but I say just do what feels comfortable. If you're just really uncomfortable with sharing the bed for whatever reason, don't do it. Don't cause yourself undue anxiety over something like where you should sleep.

12. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^Same here! Before I was out to anybody (but they still kinda knew) I would share beds with ladies. I did even when I was out too, and I was in love with one girl and had a big crush on the other.

My straight friend that I was in love with had nothing against me sharing a bed with her and we cuddled and stuff but it was sure hard to fall asleep cuz I just wanted to enjoy every second. You can imagine the struggle for me there LoL

Yeah my friends are pretty lax about me liking girls because they know I'm a lady and I wouldn't cross a line.

13. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I sleep with my friends in the same bed...in just our underwear...

My best friend told me that me being gay changed nothing, and he meant it. So don't even worry about it.

14. Capsaicin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've shared a bed with a female friend, but we've always been like sisters. I think if you all know there's nothing sexual about it, it's fine.

15. WednesdayDawn

I'd say it depends. One dear friend of mine is an occasional bedfellow--she's asexual and might or might not know what I am, but she definitely knows I'm nearly cold-blooded and only want cuddles. So we're good.

Now, some other girl? Well, it could happen. Granted, I might clear it with her beforehand--hey, so, what are you expecting to happen?--regardless of whether we know anything of each other's orientations. But if it's a cool night and she's up for it, familiar enough, and not a blanket hog or a dreadful snorer, sure.

16. Hrantou

I've slept in the same bed as my best girl friend. Its no big deal to us. We cuddle and watch TV during winter.

As for guys, I've slept in the same bed as my straight friend back in high school. He even let me cuddle with him. He always said he was "gay-curious" though so that probably explains why. I realize that is a very small minority of guys who allow that.

Other people just don't let me. I tend to move a lot :grin:

17. Ticklish Fish

<- never had sleepover in his life

18. Californiacoast

The only thing that matters is are you comfortable with it? I slept with lots of hot straight guys before coming out and we are still friends. I respected their boundaries. It was just sleep. Doesn't mean I wasn't tempted tho!!! ;-)

19. kem

kem

I've slept in the same bed with many of my straight friends, it's never been a problem to them. Or me.

20. ScatteredEarth

Basically, don't attempt to assault them in the night and you're fine :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It shouldn't really matter if you're gay/bi/pan/trans/etc