1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do ppl go to school twice?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Unsurevirgin, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

I was wondering at first why would ppl go to a 2 yr school,graduate then go to a four yr school? Wouldn't that be a waste of time ? I'm going into occupational therapy and I'm doing so much research .

2. Niko

It all depends on if you want to just get your associates degree or if you want your bachelors degree as well.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^ He pretty much said it all. Depends on what you want to do. Sometimes a 2-yr. degree is good for what you want, and in other occasions you need more advanced schooling.

4. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Also in some cases the 2 year won't have the major you want to take, I didn't do the SAT or ACT so I could only get into a community college that doesn't offer Psych/Sociology as a major. I have to transfer to a 4 year school. ;3

5. JustAnotherSoul

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Adding to what other people have said, often community colleges (two year schools) are cheeper. So people often decide to do two years at the cheeper school (often living at home) before transferring to a more expensive school for the other two.

One risk of this though is that some four year schools don't accept all the credits from other schools. So people who take this path need to make sure to get an associates degree at the end of their first two years. The degree will transfer, the credits might not.

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What the people before my said, also the Univ may recommend a 2 yr college before you transfer so they can better guage your academic quality. A community college is also cheaper so many people get their basics done there.

7. justjade

I went to community college for 2 and a half years then dropped out. It just wasn't the right time for me. I was straight out of high school and really immature.

I'm going back now taking online classes because I want to learn. I probably won't actually do anything with my certification, but I enjoy what I'm learning.

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'm actually going in to get my associate's myself before transferring out. As others have mentioned, often an associate's won't offer a degree in the desired field. In my case, I'm going to a community college for my first two years since four years at a major university is well out of my budget.

9. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also to add to what others have said, if this hasn't been already, I believe two year degrees often cover Gen. Ed. credits, depending on what you go for, so going back or to another school to pursue a higher degree is usually the next logical step.

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, Gen. Ed is precisely what I'm doing community college for.

11. lukeluvznicki13

again, usa schooling is confusing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure about occupational therapy, but generally a 2 year associate of science degree can qualify you to be an occupational therapy technician, or health occupation technician, while a 4 year bachelor of science can qualify you to take your state boards to be an occupational therapist. For some fields, people need to keep pushing forward to masters degrees, but I think one can become an occupational therapist with a bachelor's degree.