1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too soon to ask if I can buy a pride bracelet?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Holly, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Holly

So, I came out to my parents around 2 weeks ago. They were reasonably supportive (my mum was slightly disappointed), and I have continued riding the 'Coming Out Train' by telling the last of my friends.

The thing is, I am very proud about the fact I'm gay, I want people to know that I am gay, and fully accept myself. I always pictured myself buying a pride bracelet once I got to Uni, but I figured seeing as everyone important in my life now knows, I haven't got a reason to hide it any more.

Do you think it's too soon to ask for a pride bracelet? I would have to get it through my mum's credit card, and I know that would mean asking her. We've hardly approached the subject since I came out (she's made one comment, and that was reasonably jokey), and I can't really tell if she's okay for me to be that 'out' about it. By the sounds of it, she seemed like I still haven't made up my mind, and that I shouldn't come out to my extended family until I've experimented (so, basically gone to Uni). She told me that's not because she's ashamed of me, I just don't think she understand why I feel the need to be open about it.

So, yeah. I'm not sure if they're 100% accepting enough to actually let me buy one? I want to be open about it, I don't see why I should have to hide who I am. I don't even give a damn if I get comments at school. I just want to be me.

2. LD579

Depending on where you specifically live, there may be stores that you could go into and buy one. It wouldn't hurt to do research like that. Besides that, you could always just get it with cash, right? In the end, it's kind of almost up to you. I can understand wishing to respect your parents' wishes, but you also are your own person. It's up to you, really, if you want to ask them. There's no harm in opening up such a dialogue with them, I'd think =)

3. Nick07

hi,

you can also make it yourself :slight_smile:

4. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do you live near Manchester?

5. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could make yourself one, or if you live in England there is Leicester pride on august 31st (squeals) and i'm sure that they will be selling them there, i'm going this year for the first time ever so........

Personally i dont think its too soon, but you should ask your mum if she is ok with you getting one, my mum would probably start complaining but everyones mum/parents are different.
    :thewave:

6. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If you want to find out more about how they feel about your sexuality i think this would be a good way to start the topic again, and you may get a bracelet out of it , so i would ask and if they say no you could discuss what they would be worried about if they don't want you wearing it around certain people that could be part of the agreement or you could explain that your prepared for people at school to see it and any backlash that they may be worried about and that may change there mind. If its no and they are not prepared to talk about it you could always make one like a friendship bracelet just get the string from a shop or buy one in a shop and only wear it when your not around them. Good luck