1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

would you date your partner post-transition

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by chercheur, Aug 10, 2013.

1. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this is mainly for gay men and lesbians but anyone can answer. gay men: would you stay with your partner if they transitioned to female and gay women would you stay with yours if they transitioned to male?

i ask as i know a lesbian couple close to me.. both are 100% attracted to only women.. but both struggle with trans issues. in fact after my recent talks with them i would say they both have deep dysphoria.

the problem is they found true love. they are amazingly cute together and very in love but neither is attracted to men, so if one transitioned the other would have to live as a straight female which would be maddening and if both did they would have to live as gay males.. and i guess it just got me thinking.

i guess i should answer too... and if i were with someone as a straight girl and i saw this person as a guy and as my bf and loved him that way.. im ashamed to say i am not sure i could adjust my love if they transitioned into a lesbian. i mean.. i would support her and see her as female and offer my support through all of it but i don't think i could sync my love for her. she would be changing and growing in sooo many ways, i know cuz i have seen it happen in myself, and it would be better for us both if we separated. and like in a way it would probably open my eyes to the fact i never really fell in love with the true person just the person they showed the world, and because they're trueself was female i could probably never connect with them like i need to with a guy :/

2. Nick07

I would stay, 100%. I asked my partner, he 100% wouldn't...

food for thought...

3. Hrantou

It would be...different, and it would take much adjusting for me...but if we loved each other and I was sure I wanted to spend my life with them, I would.

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm attracted to men. If my partner transitioned, they couldn't be the center of my sexual universe anymore, and that wouldn't be fair to them. I couldn't do it.

5. Hexagon

I could, and would. But being pansexual, that doesn't really mean much. I hope I'd say the same if I were monosexual, but since i'm not, I really have no way of knowing.

6. justjade

That's the problem I face being married to a straight man. :frowning2:

7. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i hate myself for this and it makes me sound transphobic :frowning2: but im not a lesbian and am not sure if i could connect with someone i wasn't attracted to in every way. but i would absolutely encourage her to find love with a gay girl and hope with all my heart she found happiness with someone she could connect with in every way.

8. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I guess if id fallen in love with him before the surgery than I would have fallen in love with someone whose emotionally a man and that would freak me out because I don't fall for men so It would definatly make me rethink my sexuality but staying with him and being viewed as hetrosexual would probably have its advantages in society, then again I don't think I would be able to enjoy hetrosexual sex and I wouldn't be able to commit to him and give up sex with women I love womens bodies to much and I don't think I could ever be In an open relationship so it would hurt but I would probably have to end it

9. justjade

To be honest, if my husband transitioned to being female, I'm not sure if I could stay with him, which makes me seem like a hypocrite, but I'm just not attracted to women. Not normally, anyway.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to say yes, but I'm gay. No matter how much I'm in love wth a person, it wouldn't work. I'm not remotely attracted to girls.

11. Oddish

Oddish Guest

It'd be a bit odd if my girlfriend suddenly came out to me saying that she wanted to transition to male also (which I highly doubt because she's a femme cisgirl), so I don't know how I'd react. I'd feel like I subconsciously made her question her gender and explore options though it was far from any intention.

I don't think I could, as shitty as it is for me to say that. I like women more than men and dating another transman going through the same process would be excruciating for me. Fortunately, I don't think I'll have to worry about it considering she doesn't experience yet really understand the concept of dysphoria, and she's very stereotypically feminine/female. I'm unsure if my mind could possibly get used to the change considering how bipolar the (hypothetical) situation would be.

12. i was in a relationship with a guy (ftm) but he only came out a year into our relationship. i knew something was quite right from the beginning and i couldnt put my finger on it, then he came out and i was like aha! i wanted to stay because i loved him, although he was female when we met and we did have a lesbian relationship right up till that point.... but.... he ended it a few months after coming out. i was heartbroken haha, but i 100% wanted to stay i didnt care i was in love.

but the chances of that happening ever again, idk i guess they are slim.

13. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

You know, I'm a gay leaning bisexual so I don't think this question applies but going from the hypothetical situation, I'd say yes. Were I to have a partner who came out to me as a transwoman, I think, despite preferring male identified people in general, I wouldn't care. I loved her for who she was and I think as she became the woman she knew she was, I'd want to be with her every step of the way.

And same for vice versa. I think dating a fellow transman would be something of an interesting experience, not only playing the part of boyfriend but getting to play a hand in his transition. I'm actually highly attracted to other transmen, whether pre-, post-, or non- T/operation. And were our transitions to happen at the same time- might be a stressful process but something of an adventure.

14. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I care more abt the person than w/e genitals they have, so yes I would.

15. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    God that's a hard question for me, as a lesbian i would find it hard and would maybe feel miserable being with them but i probably fell in love with them before the operation then i would hopefully be ok with them changing. However because i am panromantic i would be able to stay with them on an emotional level but probably not on a psychical level (not a fan of dangaly bits) so in a way yes and no

#15 Caliber, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  16. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No.

I am a man who is into men. Not a man who is into women. I consider post transition folk to be the gender they changed into, this would apply to a partner.

17. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love my boyfriend because of who he is. I think I could get used to him with different parts.
    But, I canĀ“t say it would work the other way round. My boyfriend really, really dislikes female bodies. It makes him puke. So that would be the end of us.

18. AAASAS

No.

Nothing against Transgender people, but that is just not for me.

My partner would have to be insane to think that I can change my sexual preference because he wants to be a girl.

I like penis, and that is all.

19. I just can't ever see myself with a man.

20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If my partner would do it for me, I'd do the same.