1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swearing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Valkyrimon, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So lately I've somewhat of a problem with swearing. I can't seem to fu-I can't seem to stop swearing. Like, I keep doing unconsciously. I don't reach levels of the C-word, but I do say the T-word quite a bit. I was told by someone that swearing is incredibly masculine and that I wouldn't pass if I keep doing so, so I was wondering what all of you thought of this. I mean, I do try to limit my language, but is it something I should be worried about?

2. MerBear

I'm female and I swear like a sailor, Maybe its not the best thing to do but its all i know, I release my anger that way and if people like it then....well, . Fuck em.

Masculine? yeah maybe back in old times where everything revolved around men *rolls eyes*

3. LinkLarkin

Swearing in moderation is an excellent stress release and preserves your mental health as well as relieving tension. If you swear too much, this effect is completely diminished because you're no longer doing it to let off stream, you're just doing it out of habit. So from a psychological/neurological point of view, swearing too much and not swearing at all are bad ideas.
    In my experience, it's pretty similar from a social point of view. I can't stand having conversations with people who swear every other word and they wouldn't last a second in any formal environment (into which we can be quite unexpectedly thrust), but people who don't swear at all and/or make a point of telling everybody around them how they never swear get labelled as prudes very, very quickly.
    Like all the best things in life, the advice is to use it in moderation.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know women who swear like sailors... So ya, I think while it's commonly associated with masculinity, it doesn't automagically destroy your chances of passing. Also, I have seen ciswomen display a lot of masculine behaviors anyway...

Swear the fuck away, girl.

5. justjade

I've been around women who swear like sailors. The C-word is not something women typically use, though, so I would definitely keep avoiding that one. But yeah, in general, women aren't as potty-mouthed as guys. Honestly, though, I wouldn't worry too much. As I'm going through my transition, I've noticed that every man and woman is different. As a guy, I'm short, can't grow a beard to save my life, and don't like sports. You can be a woman who swears a lot. There's nothing wrong with that. Just make sure the rest of your presentation passes well, I guess. You'll be fine. :slight_smile:

6. Vanille

I don't think you should worry. I swear quite often, not like every sentence often but maybe more than average I guess. But when I do swear a lot it's only with people I know very well and that also swear a good bit too. When I'm around other people that I don't know really well I tend to not curse at all or veeerrry little. And for people who say swearing isn't ladylike can shove it. If you are uncomfortable with it then maybe you could work on not swearing so much, but if you don't really have a problem with it then keep on! :slight_smile:

Here's a funny ecard I found online a while ago, well...I think it's funny

http://www.someecards.com/usercards/viewcard/MjAxMi0yYThmMjM4YzgwNjNkODNh

7. Hexagon

Swearing is good. Loads of women swear. Just because you're a woman doesn't mean you should be confined to oppressive stereotypes.

8. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the responses! I may have just been getting a little paranoid. In my head, I KNOW that it's just a damn stereotype, but I often feel to need to see people agree with me before I can get some peace.

And Vanille, that card is great! XD

9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Swear away. As others have said, I know women who swear like sailors. Not limited to men.

I will admit that I myself have had the same fucking problem but I think that's more because as a 'woman', I was always very demure and played the part of being 'mature' and delicate, despite having female friends who'd be swearing like sailors, spitting, and otherwise feeling free to adopt behaviors stereotyped as being masculine. Now, trying to be myself, just can't fucking stop doing all this damn cursing. :wink:

So maybe that's just part of it? Being authentic and otherwise a bit more liberal with language?

(BTW, love the new avatar :grin:)

10. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was always told that if you swore a lot, you were perceived as having a limited vocabulary :slight_smile:

11. SchwulIstCool

Dans mes rĂªves de New York et des blazers...
    Swearing is fine, as long as what you say, you actually mean it. If you're fucking angry with those shitheads, tell the world :wink: But people who say it just to either be cool or it's become a habit...eh that gets tired quickly. I just don't like when people say swearing is unintelligent...I can think of many curious and interesting ways swear words can be used, so I see them as brilliant words :slight_smile: (just not ones that are actually offensive...I mean, who does fuck actually directly offend...?)

12. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never heard cunt come out of a dude's mouth. I think it's more of a feminine insult, and better suited to catfights than bar brawls.

I don't think it's a problem, so long as you censor yourself around young or polite company. It's fucking stupid that people find swearing masculine. It's vocabulary choice, seriously. Although, I can definitely see where the stereotype came from. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. justjade

^ Truth.

The most important commandment of life in my book is, "Thou shalt know thy self and be thy self." Just own it! :slight_smile:

And yeah, I can fucking stop cursing either. Just wanna spread that shit around like a goddamn blob of peanut butter on bread or something. :lol:

14. iHateThinking

I really don't curse ALL that much now, but when I was first introduced to cursing I did it a lot. Now I only do it when I'm really pissed, I'm trying to add emphasis to a feeling and the only words that'll really allow me to do that at the moment are curse words, or I'm around really good friends who don't care.

But I never ever curse in front of my family. I'd have my head lobbed off into the trash. :lol:

15. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's funny because I'm a writer. XD Derp. And thanks Memphis. Mega Blaziken is Mega cool.

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really only swear for effect or when I'm doing stand-up. I'm just not funny unless I can mince in profanity. And like everyone, when I'm angry, which isn't very often. If you get me pissed off, you either deserved it, or you worked at it. Or both.

#16 AwesomGaytheist, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like swearing for effect, i.e. I gauge its usefulness by the impact it has (when I want to make an impact).

So like all rare things, it becomes all the more remarkable when I use one, at just the right moment.

One more thing, I find our swearwords to be woefully unimaginative. Long ago I met a South African bush pilot in Great Whale River, he swore a blue streak, but the images were so disgusting and perverse I couldn't help laughing...today I can't remember a single one....any Afrikaners here willing to try and jog my memory?

18. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Fokof
    Doos
    Draadtrekker
    Gaan Pluk jou riem!

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks DB! I must have heard translations then because I understood (and was shocked by) every word he uttered... :grin:

20. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I try to avoid swearing, but sometimes it just doesn't :***:ing work!!!!