1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for Straight Guys

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Aug 11, 2013.

1. person57

I know there's not that much straight guys on this website but I have a question for them. How do they react when a guy likes them?

2. Akatosh

I let a straight guy know my feelings once and it made him awkward when we hung out. We got along great before.. The only reason I told him was because he'd make jokes about us messing around time to time, and I had to let him know my feelings after that. He wanted to remain friends but we were never the same again.

3. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I dont know how would i react, as this has never happened to me. Probly it would be unexpected, and kind of awkard, specialy if he is not close to me(but i would also feel flattered). But if we are friends, i will try to keep the friendship healthy and offer all my support. Also i would make sure to direct that guy to help him fall out of love, i have never helped someone do this, but i have donde it with myself.

I had a crush on a female friend but i acheived to fall out of love and now i can even see her with her boyfriend and i dont feel jealosy and everything is ok.

So, with this experience, i would try to help my hipothetical gay friend to fall out of love, and to help him gain dominion over his feelngs.

But that is me, cause i believe a friendship shouldnt be lost over something like this.

Different guys will have different reactions. Some bad, some good, some neutral and some awkard. Usually awkard it is, but i believe awkardness will fade with time and patience.

Anyhow, many people are bad at handling having a friend in love with them when they feel the same, so, if you know a guy is straight and you can avoid telling him, its better to avoid it.

#3 Straight ally, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  4. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I will feel a little bit more in shock and in question, I'd let him off smoothly and not try to hurt his feelings, I honestly would do my best to not let that get in the way of our friendship; which is all I'd want from them really.

5. Jimi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't think he meant if a friend comes up to you. I think the op asks in general, if a guy comes up to you, what would you do and say?

Honestly, I don't know why some straight men get offended. I would be flattered if I was straight attractive to both sexes.

6. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I never said would not be offended, why does this site do it's best to stop the generalization of Gay people while generalizing the straight people in the mean time?

7. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One of my friends said he wouldn't mind if a guy likes him, but he wouldn't like it if said guy constantly pursues him.

8. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I already said something but i will explain you in a more organized manner

Reactions

1-homophobic reaction(self explainatory:from insulting you, to being condesending and suggesting you to stop being gay). But if you already have come out to this person, then, you already know if the person is homophobic or not. So, no problem.

2- normal bad reaction:thinking that your friendship was never honest.

3-awkard: not knowing what to say, confusion,shock. Possibly the awkardness can stay for a time and if your friendship is not strong enought it fades into acquainteceship and then nothing.

4- mature reaction: "i only like you as a friend, so, lets keep it like that" then friendship go throught a period of slight awkardness and after a time, everything return to normal.

9. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, most of the straight guys I know wouldn't have a problem with it and in fact there's a couple of gay guys in my year who both hang out almost exclusively with girls and they've made it known they fancy a few straight guys in the year and those guys actually jokingly flirt with them a bit. They have no problem with it. There are a few who would definitely get angry and take issue with it but they're in the minority. However, with straight girls in my year, a lot more of them display homophobia towards their own sex and I've heard some of my female friends say stuff like "I could never be friends with a lesbian" or "eww I bet she looks at us in the changing rooms" etc.

10. lukeluvznicki13

^ yeah amen to that x]

11. Amerigo

i too would be highly flattered if i knew a girl was into me

12. RainyViolinist

I think that using this site for a question such as this is skewed because, well, this is an LGBT support site after all :lol:. You might want to find another site to ask this question for more accurate results.

13. person57

I would but I had nobody to ask

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think there are several answers:
    - most guys actually would NOT like it, because it would make them uncomfortable, and would either express some indignation or make a joke about they guy who is interested
    - some guys would be mixed on it, like if the attraction came from someone they had been in sports with whose sexuality they did not know
    - some guys would be indifferent and even flattered

I still think that most guys would be uncomfortable.

15. Thaliondae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Several of my friends are quite good looking (Both fortunately and unfortunately - fun to look at, just can't touch) so they've had guys come on to them before. They've ranged from the bordering homophobic "I'm not gay. I'm really definitely not gay so leave me alone. I'm not gay" to the neutral "Thanks, but I'm not gay" to the prideful "Dude, I'm not gay but thanks! HEY EVERYONE! GAY GUYS LIKE ME!" (The last one likes to jokingly rub it in that more guys come on to him than me >.>) Both A and C entertain me a lot but B is the reaction I think most of us would appreciate.

16. FashionDisaster

Three of my straight friends have been hit on by gay guys a few times each.

1. Found it a little uncomfortable, but he enjoyed the thought of someone thinking he is attractive. He has even said he would wingman for me at gay bars because even though he wouldn't be hooking up with anyone, it would be a huge confidence boost for when he went to other bars.

2. Gets really uncomfortable and quiet. He isn't homophobic, but the level of discomfort he has about it was a little annoying. Recently though, he told me that he thinks he might be bi and that is why he gets so uncomfortable at the thought. Now I give him a free pass from joking about how uncomfortable he gets untill he can sort out his own thoughts.

3. Stated that he is not gay and if they ever flirted with him again he would punch them. That is a point of contention between us, but we've agreed to disagree. In no other way does he seem at all homophobic; he even shared a bed with me for a week once when the situation required it.