1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It appears that I caused controversy with the transgendered people.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by xxaquaxx, Aug 11, 2013.

1. xxaquaxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My original question was to ask how is that you guys or girls see yourselves as transgenders? How does it work?

Don't you think it causes stereotypes with what is ideally a male or female?

Like if you wear high heels etc. because that is what a woman generally wears.

This is not meant to cause controversy just a basic question.

2. Stripe101

It's not just fashion. It's physical too.

3. LD579

When you're transgender, it means your physical body does not match up with who you are in your mind. What is ideally a male or a female is just what society has taught us. For instance, it used to be desirable to be pale as it meant you did not labour outdoors. These days, being tanned means that you do get outdoors and is desirable. As another example, men used to wear makeup. Now they generally don't because it's generally looked down upon. As you can see, it's just perpetuated by society, and gender ideals are restrictive.

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

It's not about gender norms (not just them, anyway). When an FtM (female to male) trans person looks at his vagina, his brain registers that there should be a penis there. When he looks at his protruding breasts, his brain says, "those shouldn't stick out". Everything in his brain is telling him he should be in a male body, but he isn't.

Autopsies of trans people have shown that their brains are nearly identical to cis-people of their true gender, rather than cis-people of their assigned gender. It's literally a case of a man's brain in a woman's body, or vice versa.

5. LinkLarkin

Two small points to make, just to enable you to prevent further offence:

-Transgendered is not a word. It is transgender.

-Transgender is an adjective, not a noun. They are transgender people, not transgenders.

As for your question, I'll allow some of my trans* friends to answer that for themselves since only they can truly understand and describe what it is that they go through on a daily basis. Suffice to say that gay/lesbian people can create and defy just as many stereotypes as transgender people so I personally am unsure of what you're actually asking.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

It's not about "creating a gender stereotype." It's a matter of identity.

Let me put it this way. I am a man. My body disagrees. I am a human being who sees himself as going through life with slim hips and a flat chest, but was saddled with hips and breasts. I can wear blouses, I can be the most feminine twink there is but I'm still a man regardless of the proportions of lipstick I've been forced to splatter on a moment. I look in the mirror and see a body that isn't mine. I, on occasion, feel a dick that isn't actually there but should be.

There is a fundamental difference between identity and expression. A man can be feminine but it does not make him a woman. A woman can be masculine but identify comfortably as a woman despite not being a stereotypical feminine woman. And in these two examples we also fail to discount the number of non-binary genders that exist out there, such as people who are agendered, pangendered, bigendered, genderfluid, genderqueer, and so on.

I have a male brain. I see myself as a male person. Therefore- male. And therefore I am transitioning in the near future to obtain a body better suited for my gender identity.

The reason your last thread was such an utter failure waa because you seemed to hold to the belief that transgender people are decievers and abnormal. So I'd consider, in the near future, before you cast assumptions about a group of people that you don't fail to recognize their humanity. We're not freaks. Jesus.

PS- I am not a transgender. I'm not a fucking new species. I'm a transgender person.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya, I saw the original thread you posted, and it was extremely offensive, and I'm astonished you don't know why. You framed your question in a way that made it seem like you very clearly didn't care about the answer, because you've already decided transgender people are making up their entire lives. So I mean, I don't really understand why we're redoing this.

In my opinion, you need to open up another tab, go to Google, and find your answers there, if indeed it is answers you are looking for. Also, learn some transgender and forum etiquette.

#7 Pret Allez, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  8. Reptillian

I have posted in another thread regarding studies of transgender and I'm going to iterate here that I do not believe that brains of humans are simply male/female, but it is to be seen as multi-morphic rather than the divides between male/female. I posted a few evidences that does indicate that may be the case, but there's a possibility so far that isn't ruled out which is the idea that there is no such thing as brain sex considering the limitations of studies regarding trans so far.

Now, even though I am a believer that there is no such thing as brain sex, that doesn't mean transgender should be invalidated/mistreated. I'm not sure what to say after this point. To be honest, I really don't want to sound idealistic without any scientific findings to show it's a valid point of view nor I support the other side. Any help on what I should say after this point?

9. June Cleaver

I am going to disagree with the idea that male and female have the identical brain. When removed from the body one is typically heavier mass than the other and that is a physical difference that cannot be denied. Also for example I am female, think like a typical woman as I have been told countless times by many over the years who know me.

As of yet none of the men of my life have been able to multi-task and I can keep up with 5 things at once and fix whatever his problem might be at the same moment without breaking a sweat. Take Mike for example who is a amazing man extremely smart and quite handy. He can only do one thing at a time without getting frustrated and if it does not go right the world comes to a end and he just can't get past it or see a way around the problem for a good 15 min as he is mad at that moment and likely thrown whatever he was working on over the fence and is ready to just get a new one. I come in and get it done which always seems to amaze him as I continue what I am doing at the same time. We think totally different and it is not just Mike but every man I have had so far could not seem to do more than one thing at a time well.

I have never really been able to understand the thought process of any of the men of my life either. I am in marriage counseling right now and my eyes have been really opened as to what he was thinking that caused our only problem so far. He also had no clue to why I was so mad as he did not look at it like I did. I can say I understand why now thanks to the counselor explaining his thoughts to me and they did make sense to me when it was explained out. He also had my point of view explained and he never would have thought I would think what I did and never meant to hurt me like that. So he stopped as he loves me and would never want to hurt me.

The bottom line is men and women think totally different! We can come to the same answer, but use different thought process to get there from what I have seen and experienced. As far as scientific data goes I could not say if it exists. June

10. Gen

Gen

It doesn't. Not in the form at which you are speaking. Brain mass is simply only a matter of biological physical proportions. Scientific data has prove that on average males and females tend to favor certain types of mental and analytical processes over the other; however, the only psychological differences are fabricated by human and animal society.

The claims that you have insinuated in your post are largely stereotypes and generalizations. Not to mention, to be entirely frank, if we are going to entertain the idea that men and woman are inherently vastly different on a psychological level, than it would be logical impossible that you could actually "think like a woman" since you were birthed male.

Long story short, males and females have a very slight tendency to prefer the use of certain sections of their brains over the other; however, in terms of psychological and coherent cognition (Our thoughts, opinions, intelligence, and expression), we are all on a very equal playing field.

11. Reptillian

Regarding our coherent and psychological aspects, there tends to be differences on different mental illness prevalence within the both sex. Also, in averages, it appears that males seems to show more prevalence of lower and higher IQ compared to women. I would suspect that has to do with chromosomes which can also be used to explain color blindness. In healthy individuals, the playing field is pretty much the same overall with no to little differences.

12. JustAnotherSoul

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you're asking about adopting female-coded(1) or male-coded mannerisms, speech patterns, and fashion for a trans* person.

(Let's talk about a trans*woman or trans*feminine person for this, just to make it simpler, but everything I'm saying also applies to a trans*man or trans*masculine person)

One could absolutely argue that a trans*woman adopting female-coded things is enforcing that those things should be female-coded. For more on this idea, see this thread. However, there are a number of reasons people still do this.

First, gender is an inherent part of our culture. From the moment of birth (or before!) a child is extremely gendered. Female bodied people are dressed head to toe in pink impractical, often uncomfortable clothing and large bows and flowers. People who see them coo "she's so cute! What a beautiful baby! Look at those delicate arms! Listen to her cry, I bet she'll be a singer!" While male bodied people are dressed in dull, often boring colors. Visitors see them say "he's so cute! What a beautiful baby! He's so strong! Listen to his cry, I bet he's going to be a coach or maybe a drill sergeant." It doesn't lessen at all as a kid grows up. We are taught how to do everything- from talking to sitting to thinking- based on our gender. Even someone who feels completely female, would have a hard time resisting all that conditioning. This means that someone who has recently come out as a woman most likely has a bunch of (unwanted) male-coded mannerisms. There is usually a period of watching women very closely to try to switch those to their female-coded equivalents so that it's just as if she had been raised as a girl.

Second, a lot of it for some people has to do with passing(2). Because many people read someone as either a man or a woman depending on the number and kind of male-coded or female-coded characteristics, a trans*person who doesn't adopt these things might think they aren't passing well enough.

Third, sparkly clothing is awesome. It's pretty. Dresses are the most comfortable garments ever invented. Heels might not be the most practical or most comfortable footwear, but they are pretty and sexy and really quite awesome. If a trans*woman wants to feel pretty or sexy, she might want to don some of that gorgeous clothing that she hasn't been allowed to wear for her whole life.

Fourth, not all trans*women are totally girly (or femme). Some are tom-boys and don't like heels and pink and glitter.

1) Female-coded things are things that our society says are "for girls" or associated with girls or femininity. Examples of this could be anything from pink to heels to certain voice inflections to putting one's hands on one's hips. Examples of things that are male-coded could be dark, dull colors, big careless gestures and movements, etc. Another way of looking at this is that something that is male-coded reads as "male" to most people.

2) A trans*woman who is often mistaken for a cisgender (not trans*) woman is considered to be passing reliably. Another way to view this is simply to say that strangers on the street don't know she's trans* and don't think she's a man.

13. Foxface

yeah I don't agree with that either. I am a cis-male and can very much multi-task. I take a much more emotional role than many women I know and know other men like this. To say that men function one way and women function another is a very black and white way of looking and anecdotal at best

I think the point was that when disected and examined, the cis-female brain and the trans female brain functioned and appeared quite the same

Foxface

14. June Cleaver

My true belief is the difference in my case is that I was female in my past lives and by mistake ended up in this body. I think it is a spirit problem, not a physical problem other than this body is wrong. I don't think science can explain it and I could care less weather anyone can believe that or not as I know it to be true in my case as I still to this day have memories that I have carried with me since earliest childhood that don't belong to this lifetime and my parents could not explain them either.

I was only giving my opinion and thoughts on the other post. As far as it being a stereotype or not, I am only reporting the facts because they are differences between me and my current partner and the other four I have had which is fact not my opinion. Considering all five men had women as their previous partners to me and all consider me female along with most males I come in contact with or know and some females too leads me to think I project female on some level beyond what is seen with the eyes. I sure wish I could figure out what makes me different as I could make millions overnight bottling it and selling it to gay guys who have a crush on a straight guy and want him. Even when I act like a man and notice I use the word act, as I studied men's behavior over the years and mimicked them to try to pass as straight to get hit on by the next non gay man I would meet. Which frustrates me to no end sometimes. I in no way appear stereotypical gay.

Quite frankly I doubt anyone in the scientific community cares about explaining trans people's existence. I don't really care either as it cannot be changed for me other than surgery, and at 41 I am too old for it to matter. Besides I get hit on by a fair percentage of non gay men whom I come in contact with and have never had a problem getting those men's attention and sex. I cannot say what is true for your or any other person's life, but report the facts of mine. June

#14 June Cleaver, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013