1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flirting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Azrael, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Does anyone know how to flirt in a gay/lesbian way? I flirt with girls just fine... I can't seem to flirt with boys.

How do you flirt anyway?

2. Awkward Balloon

I'm the same, I can flirt with girls quite well but I haven't had the chance yet to flirt with guys and I really don't know how I'll do it! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm looking forward to it, and I doubt it's going to be too different.

3. Pat

Pat

I know how to flirt with gay guys when I know they're gay, but in my day to day dealings, the guys I'm attracted to are generally hard to find because I don't know if they're gay or straight. I'm also kind of tall and a little imposing, so I never want to hit on guys if I'm not absolutely 100 percent sure they're gay. Wouldn't want anyone to be uncomfortable. I tell my straight guy friends this all the time... flirting is universal language. If you make sure the emphasis is on being genuinely sincere and nice to someone when you compliment them, there's no rhyme or reason to it and if you face rejection, it won't matter because you were being sincere. Too many people flirt with selfish expectations. I flirt here to make a guy feel good. Not because I think there's a chance for us to hook up. Say what you mean :wink: If you want to know about exact terminology, the same way you flirt with a girl is acceptable for a guy. Just refrain from calling them cute or something unless you're certain they won't be offended. You have to read their body language when you approach them to know if you're even welcome in the first place. I usually want the guy that's a little stand offish :wink: I like a little challenge.

4. swimmertriangle

^ That's good advice! I have absolutely no experience :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My problem is... my flirting isn't really playful... it's just too sincere? I think? I mean, I call them stuff like... what's Aphrodite's messenger doing walking this planet? I mean the girls laugh and stuff, but does that work on guys?

6. George

Ah I've wondered about this too. I think I have a tendency of not picking up on flirting when it's happening. Sometimes I realize that is what was going on after the fact, but by then it's too late (a few cases with girls. I wouldn't have pursued anything with them anyway, but I didn't even realize that is what they were doing at the time) I have no idea how to be the one doing it either, especially since its sometimes hard to be sure if the guy is gay. Even if I do know that it still can be tough. Finding that balance between subtle hints and obvious signs of attraction seems to elude me.

7. Amerigo

i love flirting with girls, its fun because you know it's going no-where, with boys i don't want to mess things up. if i like a boy i often pretend i'm not interested, which is a problem :S

*faints*
    that'd work on me :wink:

8. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    I "flirt" with girls all the time, lol it is fun because im obviously gay and openly out, no one thinks im actualy hitting on them. I like to make people feel good about themse;ves :slight_smile: that and i find it comes naturally to flirt in general/

I'm afraid to flirt with guys, so i usually just say things under my breath xD I used to flirt with the last guy I was crushing on, but things became awkward so I stopped that.

If someone tries to flirt with me though, I'm way too willing to flirt back xD mostly because my brain is really wired to make light of everything someone says, and use sarcasm as humor/gateway to a conversation. Me doing that for other people is different though because most guys I know would probably not get the humor, or whatever.

I'm going to stick with the same things i've been doing for guys when i get the chance though. I think maybe some gay guys will be afraid to be thought of as "cute" by another guy... but, well its their loss :wink:

That would work on me as well :slight_smile: I could spend hours going on and on and making conversation about that statement if someone were to say that to me... I guess vocally, im a playful person. It really has to do with tone of voice with things like this though, otherwise I might just accept a compliment and move on.

#8 PrinceOfAvalon, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  9. Pat

Pat

Ehh. I would avoid anything that sounds like a pick up line. I mean, it's all a pick up line, but if there's some grey area to it and no way for it to be perceived as corny, that's a good pick up line. Stick with something simple if anything at all. It really depends on the kind of guy you're attracted to really. I'm a firm believer that if someone's attracted to you, it really doesn't matter what you say. They'll be receptive and make it adapt so they can continue to get to know you. Happens all the time. If you're going for a guy that is in the middle ground (happens to me a lot. Living in the south and i'm attracted to white men more than others) I have to prove that I'm intellectual enough first.. and then I have to be blunt about what I want. Flirting for me requires observation. If it's a guy at a bar, I pay attention to what he's drinking. I pay attention to who he's with and if it's no one at all, even better. If it's online dating, I read the profile, I find a way to be interested in them that's unorthodox and memorable. For the guy at the bar, I would just walk over and say, "hey man, couldn't help but notice you over here alone, mind if I sit down?" that would be a passive approach. An aggressive one for me would be "Hey man, you're very handsome and you're just wearing the hell out of that shirt. I'd love to buy you a drink, maybe sit down.. if that's all right with you" I like to acknowledge the demeanor of the person so it's situational. I like to get the elephant out of the room too. If they look a little shocked that you're approaching them, just tell them you don't do it much and that you wouldn't be able to live with yourself if you left the bar without approaching them. Sincerity is awesome. Keep that. Just have more of a personal direction when you flirt with someone. People only think you're crazy if you're not confident.

#9 Pat, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  10. I know when someone's flirting with me (sadly, it's most always been a girl). When I flirt with a guy...it's difficult to explain how I do it. Mostly it's body language. I kind of smirk and check them out a bit, but also just look them in the eye and compliment them a lot, like "hey, you look really nice today" or maybe put my arm on their shoulder or make some kind of physical contact (that's tasteful, mind you) that I usually don't do with anyone. But it's mostly body language for me.

11. Northern

Never underestimate the power of BODY LANGUAGE! :lol:

Normally I don't get flirted with at all, and when I do it is only females up to date :eusa_doh:

But I still flirt a bit back, not so much that they get a thought anything would happen but just so that they don't feel completely shut down. I think a good part of flirting is keeping it fun and being honest about it. I wouldn't lie to someone saying "I really like your hair" (lame example...) because it would be lying.

I am not brave enough to flirt with a guy on my own, partially do to not knowing if they are gay and being shy :icon_redf

12. confeshhhions

I'm naturally a flirty person. I just try and make people laugh and smile, that usually works :slight_smile:

13. Hrantou

Me too! If I really like someone I just compliment them a lot and try to make them laugh, that's how I flirt.

Also, If I ask someone out I just say "Because life is short and you are hot" :grin:

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

I tend to automatically flirt with girls, but I can never manage to actually flirt with guys properly. :dry:

15. Neoteric

Neoteric Guest

I have notice with guys it is mainly eyes... That's also my "gay-dar" which isn't fool proof but had been relatively accurate in the past by looking a guy in the eye and being able to tell. Also if you catch a guy is looking at you there are three things that generally stick out; he tries to look away before you notice but does this more than once (he may be interested and apprehensive or just simply curious), you make eye contact that lingers and especially if you aren't talking (most straight) guys look all over the place when talking but defiantly don't keep eye contact if you aren't talking either beside each other or across the room type eye contact, and lastly and often the most telling is where he is looking at you which is fairly self explanatory). But in terms of legitimate "flirting" I don't necessarily have the best of luck but I feel like I personally probably smile entirely too much when bantering back and forth but it is a good tell as to if he is too or not. I also play the "hard to get role" too well most times :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So over all I would say try first to determine if he may be interested and if so then test the waters by being somewhat playful and if he is buying into it then don't be afraid to put yourself out there (my general mistake). Worst case he is straight and then the issue isn't you anyways...
    So best of luck over all and I am by no means a guru on the topic. :slight_smile:

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It became part of my stand-up routine. I'll take a male volunteer and obnoxiously flirt with him, he gets really squirmy and uncomfortable and everybody else laughs their ass off.

"Hey buddy. Man, you've got really nice eyes. Like gorgeous. Mind if I take a closer look? (gets really, uncomfortably close) Hey, how about you do me a favor and take your socks off."

17. Naren

It's like regular flirting.