1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti Homophobia Cartoon

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So I was watching a documentary called "For the Bible Tells me So" its about homophobic Christians who have had gay kids, some changed some just had a "I don't support it but I still love them" mentality. Its on netflix its a good one to watch, especially how most of the homophobes never met a gay person in their lives before.

Anyway there is this awesome anti-homophobia cartoon in it, kinda like a PSA

[YOUTUBE]LYMjXucTFaM[/YOUTUBE]

2. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen that cartoon soooo many times :grin: Maybe I'll check out the movie, thanks for the recommendation!

3. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Not all Christians are homophobic or ignorant of homosexuality. And to imply that they are by naming the main character "Christian" is not helpful. It just buys in to the argument of Christianity vs homosexuality. That is not what the argument is.

2. The "homosexuality is unnatural" rebuttal in this video makes me cringe.

Before we do ANYTHING we have to ask "what does unnatural mean?".
    Heres what I found by a simple Google search ("define unnatural"):
    "Adjective
    A. Contrary to the ordinary course of nature; abnormal.
    B. Not existing in nature; artificial."

We have to address BOTH of these definitions if we are to get ANYWHERE with this argument. The video fails to do that.

3."You dont just decide who to love!" ... And yet nothing is said about lust?
    Why is lust such a dirty word? Why cant we, in the gay community, talk about our primal carnal urges? Why must we pretend that everything we do or fight for is about love?
    Is legalising marriage about love? No. You can get married RIGHT NOW to anybody you want without state permission.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree about the need to talk about lust, if we don't have a conversation about this we might as well call it a repressed reality.

I'll be the first one here to talk about love, don't get me wrong, but I also honour the wild man in me, I would not repress that part of me anymore than I have repressed the gay part of me for so long.

Let's talk about lust then, and how it fits into all the rest of this LGBT world!

5. Hexagon

I agree with much of this. But as with many defences of homosexuality I've seen, it still fails to address the more fundamental issues. It isn't about choice. Why should homosexuality suddenly become fine if its not a choice? It isn't about nature, we do loads of things that are 'unnatural', cure diseases, wear clothes, etc. Its about one simple thing: is homosexuality a bad thing? And my answer is that it most certainly isn't, because it doesn't hurt anybody.

6. Beware Of You

Technically anything a human does with assistance is unnatural.

Gay sex is natural since you don't need a machine to do it

7. Hexagon

That would depend on your definition of natural. I don't see how this addresses my point, though.

8. ScatteredEarth

Well, it does happen in nature.. So wouldn't that imply that it's natural? :3

9. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed.

10. AKTodd

Hmm. Two thoughts:

A) To do something unnatural would be to violate the laws of physics. It is impossible to violate the laws of physics. If homosexual behavior violated the laws of physics we would never see it since it could not happen. We see homosexual behavior. Therefore it is completely natural.

B) Humans have evolved the brains and hands to manipulate their environment, up to and including developing technology. Doing this is as natural for us as building hives or nests or dams for other animals. Therefore, creation of technology is not unnatural nor are any specific technological artifacts.

Todd

11. Mark Time

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Homophobes are just defensive about their own sexuality, especially when they are in a group. In private, I have found they sing a different tune.

Added thought: I'm not sure it is fair to call them "Homophobes."

#11 Mark Time, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  12. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good cartoon, except for the animal bit. They basically just threw in any animal that engages in same-sex sexual behavior, regardless of the motivation.

For example, when a male tomcat mounts another male, that's not the cat version of homosexuality - it's more like the cat version of prison rape. (The male on the top would much rather be doing a female, but she's not available, and the male on the bottom is being forced.)

The idea of homosexuality is not really meaningful for most animal species. It requires a number of features that are fairly rare within the animal kingdom.