1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDA: Not being afriad to show your feelings in public

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hendrix, May 15, 2008.

1. Hendrix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sometimes when you're with tha person you care about you want to show them some affection, but being out and amongst the public you wonder if anyone is looking for fear of being seen as wierd or unusual. Yesterday was a new experience for me. I had always tryed to hide my affection, tryed to make it look like we were nothing more than friends. Yesterday was the first time I even dared to wrap my arms around my man or hold his hand while i knew other people were watching. I have no idea why i felt like i could. I tryed to just forget everything else around me and just focus on whatever was going on with me and him. Of course it crossed my mind what the people that crossed our path were thinking but i didn't let it control me. I feel a little bit like maybe they didn't think it was wierd or wrong per say. Some might have been thinking, "Oh look two gay men in love, isn't that spectacular!" I don't know though. I don't know what came over me. sometimes when a person got up close i would think about pulling away or think in my mind "Please just don't see us." I still let myself go kept doing it. Maybe it was because the person i was with didn't care so much so I didn't either. Has anyone else been afriad or had any experiences with PDA (Public Display of Affection)

2. I was hugging a guy once, and i heard some people laughing so i was immedaitely ready to flip them off, but then i remembered everyone where i was was gay so i didn't have to.
    :slight_smile: So yes i know what you mean but i am getting over it

3. tehnathan

While holding hands on the street, people have shouted unkind things to me when driving past me (you know, the usual things).

Regardless, I really don't care what others think. It's their hangup, not mine.

If anyone wants to make a point of mentioning the obvious (in an ignorant/unkind way), then I think they have some insecurities with themselves.

#3 tehnathan, May 15, 2008
    Last edited: May 15, 2008
  4. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm prone to public displays of affection. Let's see.

* I kissed my then boyfriend at the most crowded corner in Montevideo, in front of hundreds of people.

* He kissed me in college, in the main hall.

* I made out with more than one guy (not at once) in a public place.

* I groped my "special buddy" in front of a group of elderly women as we made out while sitting on a park bench.

* I made out rather heavily in a car in plain view of a straight couple (from the way their car rocked after a while, I guess they were having sex lol)

* I walked around Montevideo holding hands with two different guys (not at once)

The most I've seen have been some shocked faces, and well, some boys yelled stuff at us when we walked past a high school (to which I replied by kissing the guy and grabbing his ass haha)

5. <3 thank god.

6. Alexander

For me, if I chose not to indulge in a PDA, it would be from prudence and not from fear. Well, and lack of having someone to PDA with :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. bitou

bitou Guest

8. Jim1454

I feel similar. My bf and I are getting more comfortable with small / discreet PDAs.

9. pirateninja

I was once hanging around with my "gay" friends, and me and this other girl just had our arms around each other, and from the top deck of a bus, some guys yelled "dykes!", so we did the same tactic as Fred, and starting feeling each other up and shouted at them "you're jealous because we're getting more than you!".

That was fun. :grin: Actually, pissing off homophobes in general is fun.

10. jazzrawr

I've definately done that before as well!!
    me and a friend (who is also gay) were walking and holding hands, and someone yelled "dykes!" out the window...
    we responded by kissing and giving them the finger...:grin:

11. Leigh

Leigh Guest

lmao actually this kinda thing happened to me before. at the end of school i hugged my (straight) friend as we were saying bye and this bus (from the 'rough' school further up the road) goes past and somebody called something out of the window. LMAO i was so confused at the time.

i wish i had somebody to have a PDA wth :icon_sad:

12. Adrian

Adrian Guest

PDAs irritate me because they make me feel bitter and lonely.

The only thing it's truly enjoyable to watch people do in public is fail.

(Wow, what a bitter post!)

13. Trumpetplyer23

It's not really a PDA, but it's similar to this story.

The principal of my school is a major homophobe, and I wasn't feeling too happy with him that day. So at lunch, my friend (who is totally straight) and I started holding hands and we both shouted GAY PRIDE. Let's just say the look on his face was priceless.

As for actual examples of PDA, I've held hands with a guy in public and kissed him in public, but I've never made out with a guy (or girl) in public. I'm too shy.

14. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I used to hold my boyfriend's hand all the time, and kiss in public (not tongues) a lot, like when parting.

If I were with a girl, I don't believe I'd do any of these things.

In fact, about a month before I came out to myself, I couldn't help staring at these two girls who were kissing in public, and I couldn't stop thinking about them afterwards. I got really worried after that because I thought that it was because I was homophobic. But then I realised that it was because I'm gay. :lol:

15. gator388

gator388 Guest

Totally me too. I really want someone to have the PDA with. I want to hold someone or kiss "that" guy in public just to let other people know that he's mine. I'm sad that I don't have that.

16. Étoile

Generally, gay or straight PDA makes me feel uncomfortable. Not because I'm jealous, maybe because in my household, we're not very affectionate with each other and seeing others be so romantic with each other makes me feel odd.:confused:

I've only shown simple affection for guys I had a crush on, but never holding hands or kissing or anything that screams romance.

About 2 months ago, I was in Target with my mom and niece and I saw 2 girls walking closer than two girls would usually be. I went in the Games aisle (I was the only one on that aisle) and when I looked up from the magazine I was reading, one of the girls had her arms around the other girl's waist and was kissing her neck as they walked in a slow, affectionate way. I was stunned; this was my first time seeing gay PDA ever. I simply went back to my magazine but I really wanted to give them a big hug or say something nice to them. I couldn't stop thinking about them while I was in Target. Then, I got really worried about their safety since there's a lot of idiots out there who'd react violenetly if they'd saw what I saw. I also wondered what made them decide to do it while I was on the aisle? Did I give off an accepting vibe or something? I just wish I have the bravery to do that when I get a boyfriend.