1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pessimist or Optimist?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Confuzzled89, Aug 13, 2013.

?

Are you a Optimist! Or a Pessimist?

1. I’m a Optimist! The glass is always half full!

36 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. I’m a Pessimist... poor ol’ Eeyore...

30 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Confuzzled89

Confuzzled89 Guest

Do you consider yourself an Optimist? Or a Pessimist?

And how does that affect your life?

I’m a pessimist and I hate it. I have so much trouble changing it. My belief, as flawed as it may be, is expect the worst and it’s currently driving me mad. I say in my head, “I’m going to think positively!" and my mind retorts with “That’s when I’ll get ya!” :frowning2:

So, how do YOU fight pessimism? How do you channel optimism?

Please, share :slight_smile:

#1 Confuzzled89, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  2. Jonathan

I'm optimistic about pessimism :slight_smile:

3. Ticklish Fish

I'm a (kind of) scientist and I see a glass half of clear liquid and the other half colorless gases.

on topic: Though I try to be realist

4. kresukun

Pessimist but not proud of it...
    Bullying is a real bitch y'know.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A realist. I don't pretend everything's terrible, but a hell of a lot is. I don't particularly like either. One is often ignoring things and pretending nothing's wrong, and the other is "it's all broken, let's do nothing". Most people are reasonably in the middle, despite what they call themselves.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was thinking about this possibility before even seeing the poll choices. This would be me.

7. BudderMC

I'm generally a realist, but I probably (try to) lean more towards optimistic.

Life sucks in a lot of ways, and there aren't a lot of things you can change. But life is also to short to be miserable all the time about it. Find something good and run with it. :slight_smile:

8. RooB

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Optimism is my religion.

9. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I TRY to be optimistic, but it's hard, sometimes I am pessimistic. BUt I don't consider myself a realist.

10. Confuzzled89

Confuzzled89 Guest

See, that’s the thing, I PURPOSELY didn’t put realist because I knew most would choose that BUT if the choice was left out which of the two sides do you find yourself at? LOL

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2013 at 07:07 PM ----------

That’s the most confusing thing I’ve read all day and my name is Confuzzled. LOL

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2013 at 07:09 PM ----------

I envy you :frowning2: LOL

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm as realistic as I can be, but I tend to lean towards being pessimistic. Sometimes my innocence can lead to some sort of optimism, but it's not that common.

12. RooB

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never want to feel sad, it just makes me more sad and depressed. I just choose to look at the brighter things in life. It's hard a lot of the times to.

13. Hefiel

My philosophy is that of pessimism and of existential nihilism. In other words, I'm the life of the party /sarcasm

I did struggle with this level of negativity for a while, a long period which I'd call a period of disenchantment *waves at Max Weber*. I view most situations as having a generally negative outcome. However, since I always get curious to know what would've happened if I had gone and done it, I've gradually come to decide that I'd rather do it now and regret it later, than to wonder for the rest of my life what would've been if I had done it. And if I'm worried that I'm really going to screw something up, well I'm making a backup plan to save my ass just in case.

14. Abbra

I thought I was an optimist, but I had my friends fill out one of those johari window things, and I'm apparently really cynical.

Which sucks, because now I'm more pessimistic than ever. Nothing dampens your spirits like being told your happy isn't happy enough.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Optimist. My brain is realistic and almost scientific, because you can't have the greatest success if you always expect things to go well on their own. But I do hold onto hope that things will go well, so in my heart I'm on the bright side of life. :slight_smile:

16. George

I'm definitely an optimist. :slight_smile: I always strive to find the good in people and I refuse to dwell too much on the negatives. I have a lot of faith in humanity - despite the ridiculous atrocities that we see all over the news, I feel we are moving in the right direction as a species and I spend a lot of time dreaming about what good things the future may have in store for all of us. There are too many people focusing on all the bad. I refuse to be one of them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pessimist. I think I started out as a realist who turned into a cynic after everything started going wrong and kept going wrong from there on out. Being gay and closeted certainly made matters worse. Everything always seems to fall apart, I lost the people I care about most, and nothing good ever stays good. It's just extremely difficult to find positivity.

My pessimism has just become a natural part of my thought process; it's practically engrained in my mind. Even when I try to consciously be optimistic by thinking a positive thought or trying to be hopeful about something, the next second, a pessimistic thought will override any glimpse of optimism I had. I do also use pessimism as a defense mechanism to keep me from disappointment...it doesn't really work though. Disappointments are just as disappointing even when I'm cynical about a situation from the start.

:lol: I like that.

18. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Try as I might, I'm a bit of a dogged optimist. Bleak as things get, guess I've always figured that it'll clear up eventually. Seems to be a bright side to most things. Getting thrown out of house for being transgender? Yay, I'm finally independent and I've now got memoir material. Being forever alone? I'll get a cat and never have to worry about who's paying the dinner bill.

[YOUTUBE]SJUhlRoBL8M[/YOUTUBE]

#18 drwinchester, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  19. sammy1

I am a pessmist and all my friends and family know it. I have always been kind of an angry and negative child and it has only gotten worse as time goes on...i think i need some happy pills lol

20. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Optimistic, a negative outlook on life will always lead to negative things. :slight_smile: