1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst US Supreme Court Justices

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Aug 14, 2013.

?

Who do you think the worst US Supreme Court justices are?

1. Scalia

72.7%
  2. Thomas

54.5%
  3. Alito

27.3%
  4. Roberts

13.6%
  5. Kennedy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ginsburg

4.5%
  7. Breyer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sotamayor

4.5%
  9. Kagan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, multiple choice! You can pick more than one, but who do you think the worst US Supreme Court justices are?

My absolute least favorite is Thomas, followed very closely by Scalia, followed by Alito and Roberts. Lukewarm on Kennedy.

2. Hexagon

Don't we, like, get told who they are and what they've done?

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, that would be a long list. But if you're gay, female, a minority and not well off, the first four are probably not your friends!

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two words: Clarence Thomas.

If we strike down and make normal the practice of homosexual sodomy, then there is no reason to prevent them from getting married.

-Clarence Thomas

Eat shit.

5. Split Arrows

The one good thing I can say about Scalia us that he supplanted Rehnquist, but that's not much of an accomplishment. My favorites on the bench right now are definitely Kennedy and Ginsberg. I'll elaborate later tonight when I'm on my computer.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And in 1996, Thomas wrote in the dissenting opinion of Romer v. Evans, in which the Supreme Court banned banning banning discrimination based on sexual orientation. In 1992, Colorado passed a constitutional amendment that said this:

Neither the State of Colorado, through any of its branches or departments, nor any of its agencies, political subdivisions, municipalities or school districts, shall enact, adopt or enforce any statute, regulation, ordinance or policy whereby homosexual, lesbian or bisexual orientation, conduct, practices or relationships shall constitute or otherwise be the basis of or entitle any person or class of persons to have or claim any minority status, quota preferences, protected status or claim of discrimination. This Section of the Constitution shall be in all respects self-executing.

In 1996, the Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that this was unconstitutional. Clarence Thomas had this to say:

(Colorado's Amendment 2 is a) rather modest attempt to preserve traditional sexual mores against the efforts of a politically powerful minority.

Romer v. Evans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#6 AwesomGaytheist, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't really vote because I don't follow them closely enough...

But I will say I have never liked Clarence Thomas, dating back to whenever Anita Hill hit the news.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not to mention, Thomas hardly ever utters a word. It's creepy! And you can pretty much guess how he'll rule 99.9% of the time.

9. Scalia had a long history of being anti-gay. Although he voted to overturn Prop 8, he's not that great to me.

I'm pretty iffy on Sotomayer because she voted to overturn DOMA but didn't vote to overturn Prop 8.

10. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I like Kennedy. I was watching a documentary not too long ago about the court. There's been 3 giant pro-gay marriage rulings in the last 25 years and he authored all of them. Father of modern day gay rights. Ginsburg is my favorite by far though. She's such a cute old woman.

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And she's so progressive for an old woman

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd agree. Though he does veer off in other cases. And I agree about Ginsburg...I like that frilly thing she wears!

My all-time favorite justice would be Thurgood Marshall. It would be interesting, were he still alive, to see how he would have ruled.

13. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've picked Thomas and Alito.

I fundamentally disagree with a lot of how Scalia approaches social issues within his bizarre legal context, but his position on the court reminds me of the West Wing episode 'The Supremes'. His relationship with Ginsburg reminds me of the relationship that Chief Justice Lang and Justice Mulready are shown to have in that West Wing episode, and it is interesting to see how political ideologies battle against each other within legal spheres. As problematic as the Conservative/Liberal divide is on the court, it certainly produces some fascinating legal literature, and it really does offer you varying perspectives on how their minds work and debate with each other. It is just unfortunate that Scalia comes with a load of bigoted bile attached to his opinions, as him and Ginsburg are interesting to hear for alternative perspectives on an issue. It's also really interesting when decisions go in unusual directions, like when Roberts upheld a keypart of 'Obamacare' and the way the Justices voted to dismiss the Prop 8 case.

14. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Scalia. A justice who can't make up his mind and follow it is no justice that should be serving in any court, let alone the Supreme Court.

15. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Scalia is basically a troll now. He's a national embarassment.

16. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

scalia is the worst

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Scalia is a bigot, and woefully out of step with society, but he is a brilliant scholar.

Thomas, on the other hand, is not the sharpest tool in the shed, is corrupt as hell -- bought-and-paid for by industry (his wife has received large bribes financial support from various companies she's worked for over the years), and I get the distinct impression that this is just a job for him; I don't think he has any passion for what he does, or the importance of the role he plays.

The story of how he got appointed is just pathetic. Thurgood Marshall, who, as an attorney, had argued more cases before the Supreme Court than any other attorney, including Brown v Board of Education, one of the most important modern-day decisions, was retiring. He was also the first black Supreme Court member. Bush the 1st was president at the time, and had to find a conservative black person, any conservative black person, to replace Marshall, as Bush was smart enough to realize he couldn't replace Marshall with a bigoted white conservative. So he managed to find Thomas. Thomas lied his ass off about all sorts of stuff, had an extremely thin judicial history, clearly was no intellectual powerhouse, and absolutely nothing about him was remotely compelling. It was the equivalent of replacing a Rolls Royce with a broken bicycle.

Bush II attempted an even worse stroke of brilliance, trying to appoint Harriet Miers, then-White House counsel, to the Supremes. Meirs had no knowledge of major Supreme Court decisions, no real experience as a jurist, and hadn't even bothered to read up on anything before she started meeting senators. Fortunately, even the Republicans realized she was dumb as a post, and after she was quoted saying that George W. Bush was one of the most intelligent people she'd ever met... well, that helped torpedo what tiny chance she might have had in the first place.

I find it interesting how Democrats generally try to find intelligent, thoughtful, extremely educated, and well spoken jurists who will make wise interpretations and judgments, while Republicans often try to find the most bigoted, ignorant, or downright stupid people they can.

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is sad, to have Marshall 'replaced' by Thomas. There's quite a few things named for Marshall here in Maryland; he grew up in Baltimore. Rather one of our local heros.

OK, time for a bit of humor!

SCALIA OFFERS TO HELP POPE JUDGE GAYS (Parody)

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If Bush was one of the most intelligent people she met, I shudder to think at what the dumbest person she'd met was like!

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, that was my thought as well (and, I think the thought of the majority of people, probably even Republicans behind closed doors.) Perhaps she spends most of her time around potted plants or something. :slight_smile: