1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Common sense is VERY uncommon!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Aug 16, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom's a self-employed chiropractor, and her receptionist is in Tennessee today helping her daughter move, so I'm the fill-in. It's noon here, and so my mom sends me to Wendy's to get lunch for the two of us.

After ordering a chili, a berry chicken salad, a #7 combo and two medium Frosties, the kid has the audacity to ask me "For here or to go?" (facepalm)

You really think I'M the ONLY ONE eating all that? Wow.

And then they only gave me one spoon. Holy cow.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your expectations are way to high: thinking costs extra.

3. MrBrightside

4. Night

Night Guest

Maybe he thought somebody you were with was sitting down somewhere. God forbid he tries to do his job!

5. Nick07

lol, well he could think that your friends are at a table waiting for you or that you will take the tray to a table and wait for someone. Or not?

6. Hexagon

The question, I can understand, but the spoon is just plain lack of thinking. It can be so frustrating sometimes.

Then again, I think about how terrible I'd probably be in the service industry.

7. Stripe101

I think they HAVE to ask. Plus how do they know someone else isn't in the bathroom or something? However the spoon thing is just plain stupidity.

8. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to agree, asking the question is probably standard and going through the motions. A job like that isn't one that anybody can care very much about, so you would just say the same things all the time.

The spoon thing is kind of dumb, I'll give you that. But getting all that food for that price I would let it slide. As long as there is no spit in my meal I'm happy

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My grandma once said that back in the 70's, even before the whole obesity crisis, my grandma went into a McDonald's and ordered "a dozen hamburgers." Two for each person. The kid not only asked, "for here or to go?" but then asked, "A dozen is 12 right?"

10. Wells

Wells Guest

In some places, they have to say these things.Nevertheless though, common sense is uncommon.

11. Bear101

I remember getting the question once, as I went through the drive through!

12. I understand your frustration, but I have to admit, having worked with the public myself I would sometimes put common sense on the back burner due to the habit of just following a repeated routine. In this case, the worker might have just been used to saying "for here or to go", in the same way that I would ask "cash back?" without thinking about it, even if it wasn't in an appropriate situation. Be nice to people who work with the public, they have to deal with people like us constantly :wink:

13. Hexagon

:roflmao:

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The experience that got me was a time when I bought 1 bottle of beer. The bar code was not in the system. The price was six dollars per six pack. The cashier actually had to haul out a calculator to figure out what one bottle would cost...

15. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is really, really sad.

16. justjade

Oh, the agony.... I hate it when I have to help people at work do very, very simple things like bag food. The heavier, bigger stuff or the stuff in boxes goes on the bottom. Fries go on the side if they fit or the top if they don't. If a huge order doesn't fit in one bag, don't freak out. Just get another bag and split the order up. If you had someone change back for $20, and they tell you they gave you a $50 bill, look in your drawer. If you don't have a $50 bill, they didn't give you one. I can't believe people even need to ask these questions.

17. Data

Data Guest

When I worked in food service, we HAD to ask all kinds of dumb questions. If we didn't and assumed wrong it was very embarrassing and got us in trouble.

18. 461 467

I don't see what the problem is. Plenty of people eat like that, for themselves, and there could easily be a situation where several people are dining in, and only one person goes up to place the order. It's better for them to ask you than to risk inconveniencing you, if you did want to dine in.

19. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually I have seen a person order that much - more in fact, and then go sit down and scarf it all down.

Construction workers are good eaters, even some of the small guys after half a day of work would find this to be a decent sized snack, but not really enough to keep them full until end of day.

I used to eat that much when I worked construction - And I maintained my mass below 180 pounds. (6'2" at the time).

So its not common sense to make the assumption that a 'big guy' such as yourself didn't come in with an appetite.

20. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    That makes me think of a habit of my sister of telling me "dont eat it all, leave some for me" in situations where that iisnt necesary, like me serving myself a piece of cake from half a cake (errrm im not going to eat half a cake by myself....)

---------- Post added 16th Aug 2013 at 05:24 PM ----------

Oh and...

I was asking some ice cream when the someone asked what is the difference between raspberry ice cream and blueberry ice cream. It was in spanish, and i know many people dont know what is raspberry or what is blueberry, but i found it funny.