1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this true?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Aug 16, 2013.

1. person57

Is it true that EVERYBODY finds true love? Because sometimes I feel like nobody likes me or nobody will ever like me.

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I sincerely hope so :slight_smile:

3. Data

Data Guest

I don't know where you are, but in the US of 350,000,000 people there are BOUND to be many, many people who like you just as you are!

#3 Data, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2013
  4. Kor

Kor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think everybody finds true love, but I do believe there is true love out there for everyone.

5. George

Yes I think everyone is capable of finding true love. There are just so many people out there, and with the internet connecting all of us it is considerably easier to find like-minded people than ever before.

Consider this:

320m Americans
    50% are men -> 160m
    5% are gay -> 8m
    10% are age-appropriate -> 800k

That 800k could be broken down further. You could filter for personality types, current relationship status, close proximity (anyone within a 6 hour drive for instance).

After doing that with my own parameters I ended up with approximately 300 PERFECT matches. Like, the kind of guy I fantasize about. What are the odds of meeting one of those 300 people? Probably not that great, but who says they need to be perfect? If you compromise a little you can get your number of potential mates much higher, and then there's a pretty good chance you'll meet one of them eventually. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you an outgoing and confident 'take on the world' person?

Or

Are you a shy, reserved sort of person?

If you are a shy and reserved sort of person, you are probably more selective with the people that you associate with and that can make it difficult for people to get close to you.

Everyone finds what they NEED in life but that doesn't always happen when you are 14. Heck, there are probably quiet a few 24 year olds asking the same question as you.

Love finds you :wink:

7. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mr Data, Clearly you are in error and your logic circuits are profoundly damaged. I strongly recommend a level one Diagnostics, please report to Lt. La Forge immediately in Main Engineering.

The reality is that not everyone finds true love. And if Mr. Data was functioning with nominal parameters he would conclude that with over 300 million human beings in this sector, the chances of you meeting 'The One' is rather small.

Assuming you were meeting each individual in the USA and assuming the number stayed static at 300 million. Taking one second of your time to meet each one would mean you have spent 300 million seconds.

300,000,000 second Approximately 9.5058179329226557152635181382615 years.

The reality is that you will not stand to greet a long line of individuals second after second, without sleeping, eating, bathing (ew), and all of the other functions humans require to continue operating within nominal parameters.

Logically, Dedicating only half a day to the process would lengthen the whole process to approximately 19.011635865845311430527036276522 years. You see how daunting this particular task is. I doubt you or anyone for that matter can dedicate 12 hours a day to meeting every American. Let alone every individual on the planet.

I fear that logic dictates that the odds are against you.

On a greater level (using the whole globe) your chances fair a little better. If Mr. Buenaventura has crunched the numbers with any accuracy, your chances are roughly 1 in 720,000,000 in meeting your soul mate.

The parameters and maths are found here: a collection of stuff by luis buenaventura - Blog - Finding Your Soul Mate: A Statistical Analysis

Thus the premise of the statement initially presented is logically inconsistent with the realities of the situation.

8. Hrantou

^ This. I'd be lying if I told you everyone ended up with their soul mate. But chances are everyone at some point in their life will feel that special love for someone and chances are they will feel it for you too. But sometimes life is funny and you don't end up with them for a lot of reasons. Work, distance, you name it.

Now I'm rambling. You get the point :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    what????? WHAT??????? Far out people...I mean statistics? Is that all people and love means to anyone these days? STATISTICS?

Give me propaganda any day, more believable.

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2013 at 08:52 AM ----------

But....What if there is more than one 'soul mate' for every person? :wink:

Do you think it is entirely reasonable that each person has more than 1 perfect match?

10. LinkLarkin

As a scientist I have to take a very cold, clinical view on this. There is no such thing as "the one". Given a basic range of compatibility parameters, one could fall in love with practically anybody. Love is, after all, just a range of chemical reactions that tightly bind people together emotionally. Once you get to know someone you like, that feeling grows into love as you get to know them more intimately. Henry VIII had six wives after all; wife number three was the closest thing to "the one" but he still chose to marry three more times following her death.

This may sound depressing, but I personally find the idea of "true love" depressing. I can imagine living the rest of my life with a textbook perfect guy and spending every day wondering if he's actually my true love or if he's just a placeholder for when I really meet "the one". I much prefer to think in a "love the one you're with" situation. Because like I said, love is a feeling that develops, gradually and organically, it isn't something that's programmed into us and destined to connect certain couplings.

So to more specifically answer your question, I think it depends on attitude. If you go out and mingle, meet new people and get to know them, then there is every chance that you will meet a wonderful guy and fall in love - not through destiny but through familiarity, trust and respect. If you sit around waiting for Prince Charming to sweep you off your feet, then it's probably not going to happen.

11. GayNerd

I sure hope it's true.

12. Hrantou

Hahah I agree with you. I hate statistics. I hate numbers, I'm rubbish with them. And I would rather just believe that one day I'll meet that special guy than just crunching numbers and using math to calculate that I might meet him one day. Call me oblivious, but I'd rather be that way.

And its totally possible there's more than 1 soul mate! Lots of people on this planet :thumbsup:

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

According to that, with Australian numbers, I have a dating pool of 55,000 in total. Well, that's brilliant. :dry:

#13 Aussie792, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  14. George

True, but those 55k are probably concentrated closer together than the 800k in America. So it's probably not much different unless you live with the kangaroos or something. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Australia's land mass is Equal to the USA land mass, so how is 55k going to be 'more concentrated' in Australia compared with 800k in the USA....add land mass to the propaganda....errrr statistics :wink:

16. George

Haha, not meaning to go off on a tangent but this is what I meant:

[​IMG]

A lot of people concentrated on the southeast coast, so there really isn't that much relevant landmass.

17. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    compared to USA?

Seriously, you can't expect us to believe that because there are more in the USA that there is less chance of meeting another person like us 'STATISTICALLY' when the percentages are exactly the same?

Statistics are flawed, so why does that about the people that have faith in them :wink:

18. Data

Data Guest

I assure you sir, my positronic brain is functioning quite normally. A diagnostics check has revealed no malfunctions in my programming.

By considering all of the human beings living within the borders of the continental United States, it is very logical to assume that at least one perfect mate exists that could potentially fall in love with the original poster. Seeing as how my emotion chip is also functioing normally, I believe it is safe to say that at the expense of precision, my original post was intend to offer the original poster a sense of comfort and optimism. I believe it is called a "white lie" sir. The core structure of my answer is sound, although it is not perfect.

Your arguement confuses me sir. I do not see why a perfect would NOT exist in a group of so many distinct human beings.

History has shown many people to have found "true love" so therefore the logical explanation is that indeed, it is possible. Also sir, I believe the quote "History tends to repeat itself" is applicable in this particular scenario. If true love has been found in the past, it is bound to happen again.

One might even apply "Occam's Razor" to this problem. The simplest explanation is most often the correct one. Therefore, for you to explain "No" due to these strict mathematical terms and the limit of time, is not the simplest explanation. "Yes" would be easier to explain, given that in nature things are usually random.

Therefore sir, I do not believe I have mis-spoke in regard to this topic.

19. Kor

Kor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, this thread sure has escalated.

[​IMG]

20. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BRAVO Data.