1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia in Public Schools - My Experiences

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wander, May 16, 2008.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Over the last five days, I made a note of every time a person used certain words as insults towards LGBT people, used "gay", "fag", "dyke", etc. as insults whether intentional or not, implied that homosexuality was a negative quality, or other similar instances. I carried a notecard and made a mark every time one of the above occurred, and it was surprising to see how often people use slurs related to sexuality, often without realizing what they're saying. Here are my findings:

Monday: 14 times
    Slow day, as Mondays usually are. Most people were too tired to do much of anything.

Tuesday: 12 times
    Same, not much going on.

Wednesday: 31 times
    The reason there are so many more is because one student decided to start singing "The Fag Song" during class. Of course, the teacher does nothing at all. In fact, the teacher of that class frequently jokes about gay people and makes some of the most glaringly false and uninformed statements I've ever heard, but he was oddly quiet this week.

Thursday: 12 times
    And again...

Friday: 27 times
    No amusing little songs today, just lots and lots of ignorance. I overheard a conversation where a student mentioned their gay rights activism and the stupidity started flying. Insults were tossed around like toys, many assumptions and generalizations were made, and here's the teacher minding her business.

Just though it might be interesting.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'd take that to the principal. :slight_smile:

3. mUsIcFrEaK92

mUsIcFrEaK92 Guest

wow thats alot.

4. otc877

otc877 Guest

I was thinking about doing this myself, but then I just thought it would make me upset so I decided against it.

How long do you plan on keeping a list like this?

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Next week is my last week is my last week of school and I only have to go up until Wednesday, so the results would be a little off. This is probably the last time I'm keeping a record like this until the next school year.

And I hate to sound so hopeless, but how much could I really achieve by taking my findings to the administration? The year is almost out anyway, it wouldn't be for another three months before anything happened, and that's if they bothered to do anything at all.

6. jazzrawr

my school is like that, and i have to admit my friends use gay as a word for stupid ALOT but now i tell them off every time they do.

7. Level N Human

One of my partners for a project said that they should call same-sex marriages something different and I said, "Like civil unions?". Then he said, "Civil union sounds gay."

My reaction was something along the lines of, "Yes?!? :| ??? It is...Wait what?"

8. Jace

omg today on the way to art, some guy that i dont even know was like "sup faggot" when i walked by, and i was like "not much, douschebag"

9. Tim

Tim

I tried doing this, but I stopped after 70 on the monday, and lost interest after pulling the notecard out so much, and it was only halfway through the day -.-

10. Brett

I kept a mental count....but got lost at about 30.......(the colorguard walked by, and we have a guy in ours)

11. foxkid777

at least at our school there isn't much homophobia and all my friends are kool about it, but there are always going to be people who are not kool with it

12. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My god, what a HUGE BUMP

[​IMG]

13. Haha I just laughed really hard at that. People seem to bump old threads a lot lately..

14. Rygirl

Yeah I used to get a lot of homosexual discrimination in my old school, just because I put my school work above pulling guys I must be 'a dyke' right? It's much better now I've moved, everyone is too caught up in the amount of work to think about much else.

15. motleyjunkie

well i live in louisiana and they def have alot of close-minded people
    rednecks are the worst when it comes to that
    i just hate the word dyke and fag
    theyre just so insulting
    i think thats one of the main reasons i havent come out
    they are all so close-minded and judgemental.

16. SmileItsNicole

I havnt come out to my school yet cus i hear a bunch of let downs like that

17. Nodnarb

Hmmm...an old thread. But today seemed bad. Really bad. At least Andrew apologized to Cody, I guess...