1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you write in a card to someone who's terminally ill?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Aug 16, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom told me earlier that the pastor who baptized me and preached for six years at the church I grew up in is now dying of Lou Gehrig's Disease. I decided the least I could do was send her a card, and so a few minutes ago, I ran to Rite Aid and entertained myself in picking out a card.

"'Get well soon,' that's not going to happen. 'Sympathy?' What would I say, 'Sorry about the loss of your life?' None of these work!"

Eventually I settled on one that was more like, "Someone cares" and had some gushy message inside.

I have no idea what to say. Any advice?

2. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actions speak louder than words. Cards merely convey a message that a hug can do for free....I'm just saying.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Problem is that her mind isn't what it used to be...she wouldn't recognize me or really anybody else from the church.

4. Kor

Kor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm no doctor, but I think Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) is strictly a motor neurological disease, and shouldn't affect cognitive function, or memory, or anything like that. If you were to visit her, she would see you, probably recognize you, but would just be unable to physically react to your presence.

EDIT: For the funs, it's worth mentioning that Stephen Hawking has a form of ALS.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as I know, Kor is correct. She'd recognize you, but not be able to show recognition.

I'd write a card and talk about what her life has meant to you, and how she's touched your life. And in closing, you can tell her that you're thinking about her, sending her prayers, and will never forget her or the lessons she's given to you.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As Chip mentioned, write about what what her presence in your life has meant to you, and will continue to mean to you and that you are praying for her. You can write about a memorable moment, and tie it to how she has impacted your life. (*hug*)