1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you find that you tend to underestimate peoples' openness?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BooksJeansTea, Aug 16, 2013.

1. BooksJeansTea

I may not be wording this right but I think you'll get the point of the question... right? Today at a huge inter-school meeting I found out that a teacher I had in third grade is/was gay and apparently everyone knows/knew. It's a don't ask/don't tell... everyone knows sort of thing, I guess. She's worked at that same school forever (well it seems that way to me) and she's well respected in the educational community. This makes me think that maybe my area isn't as backwards as I thought. On the other hand I've seen some vandalism and other things of that nature around here.. particularly to vehicles lately. Either way, she is very brave and I have even more respect for her now than I did.

Maybe I've been assuming the worst of people.

Have any of you ever really underestimated people or a person in this way?

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I get this all the time. It seems my area is more accepting of transgender people than I'd expected. And people I've encountered (online, for the most part), are rather passé about it. Worst I tend to have to do is explain what an FtM is but I very rarely encounter any open transphobia beyond transchasers and creeps.

3. Kor

Kor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ^
    Gotta love the pacific northwest!

I kind of have a similar story. When I was in 10th grade I had an English teacher, Mr. N, who was gay (so they say), but didn't seem to be out or very vocal about it. Toward the end of the school year, there were rumors going around that he was gay due to some facebook detectives of some kind. He only taught at my school for that year, I suspect because he endured some level of hell teaching there, but I digress.

Anyway, the year after he left I was standing with a couple of friends (who had the same teacher as me) between class periods and his name got brought up. One of them went on to say, "Wow, did you guys know Mr. N was gay? How gross, I mean, you think you know a guy..."

Ironically one of the people he was talking to also happened to be gay. Remarkable powers of perception on that one.

4. BooksJeansTea

I did have a teacher that everyone knew was gay when I was actually in her class but she didn't last long. She was a bit of a rebel though and the administration didn't appreciate it. She also had a last name that made everyone giggle. - but haha I'm off topic. oops.

:icon_bigg I'll bet that was really encouraging. It's nice to be pleasantly surprised once in a while. Thanks for sharing (*hug*)

5. Abbra

For being in Idaho, my town is actually really accepting in a weird way. Keep in mind that Idaho is one of the reddest states in the nation, and my town even has a giant billboard right next to the town entrance that tells us that we should secede from the nation, and I believe our anti-sodomy laws are still technically in place even though they aren't enforced. You would think I would be terrified.

Turns out, about half the town is gay friendly, while the other half just doesn't talk about it. Of course there's the vocal minority who will occasionally yell about how much god hates fags, but it never starts anything. There are a ton of people who agree with him of course, but none of them say anything. Open homophobia is actually relatively rare in these parts. I think it's because my town generally has the "if you don't deal with it, it will go away" mentality, so biggots are too lazy to be biggots.

I also had a "gay" choir teacher. I say "gay" because he wasn't really out, so to speak. One of the regular substitute teachers was his partner, but they didn't talk to each other at school. Most of the time, you would run into the two of them at the store or something, and they would try to hide it (sometimes they would split up) but they are always together when they aren't on school grounds.

Northern Idaho on the other hand, nothing in the world could make me even try to go up there.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My family is Indian and Christian, and I have quite a few friends from school, besides relatives, who share the same [sub]ethnicity from India. While my family is Catholic, quite a few of the others are Orthodox or even Protestant (many Pentecostals), all-in-all a very socially conservative environment.

Often times, the parents are afraid of their kids becoming "Americanized" and try to have cultural activities that are geared to make the kids friends (and future spouses, IMO) with others from their religious denomination.

I was really surprised when one of those Indian friends in college said one of his new roommates was gay and then proceeded to say how cool that guy was due to his interior design skills. I know my friend is 100% straight, but it really made me feel proud of him that he showed no homophobia.

7. BooksJeansTea

Most delayed response ever. Sorry.

Your town sounds pretty cool! I'd like to go there JUST to see that billboard. :lol:

8. VelvetEYES

I assume people are close minded until proven different. I tend to assume LGBT people are more open minded though, although, that's not always the case.