1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emotional Awareness

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NEWFrontiers22, Aug 16, 2013.

1. NEWFrontiers22

What is your level of emotional awareness?

Can you tolerate strong feelings, including anger, sadness, fear, disgust, and joy?

Do you feel your emotions in your body? If you are sad or mad, do you experience physical sensations in places like your stomach and chest?

Do you ever make decisions based on “gut feelings” or use your emotions to guide your decisions? When your body signals that something is wrong (stomach tightening, hair standing on end) do you trust it?

Are you comfortable with all of your emotions? Do you allow yourself to feel anger, sadness, or fear without being judgmental or trying to suppress them?

Do you pay attention to your every-changing emotional experience? Do you notice a variety of emotions throughout the day or are you stuck in only one or two emotions?

Are you comfortable talking about your emotions? Do you communicate your feelings honestly?

Do you feel that, in general, others understand and empathize with your feelings? Are you comfortable with others knowing your emotions?

Are you sensitive to the emotions of others? Is it relatively easy for you to pick up on what other people are feeling and put yourself in their shoes?

2. DanD

I'm always sad inside because I'm a loner. I'm sad because of three reasons, all of which are fairly lengthy.

3. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely feel strong emotions on my stomach and chest, although it's more like a tightness than a sick feeling. I tend to compartmentalize some of them so I can deal with the situation, and sometimes they come back a very long time later. When my father died, I took care of all the arrangements, planned the service and contacted everyone without showing or feeling any real emotion (although I did shed a few tears because of seeing my daughters cry over his death--I tend to react more to other peoples' emotions than feeling them directly myself). But many months later, I found myself getting emotional about it at unexpected times.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a lot of questions!

I am always analyzing myself and others, trying to find the causes and effects. I am an introvert, which , contrary to what is popularly thought, means I'm usually overstimulated by interactions with others and will often brood on emotions, especially when something is unfair. Most recently, I've really been drawn to zazen (seated meditation) I learned while studying martial arts. For someone who has a lot of things on his mind, it really helps to stop and clear them all out.

That said, I put a big emphasis on appearing calm/stoic at all times, very rarely getting upset or even angry, which I can't handle well. I can probably count on my fingers how many times I've had a real blow up. It always leaves me nervous and upset. I also get stressed out a lot because I have a good memory and a bad habit of procrastination, which unfortunately means I remember all the things I haven't done and need to do, even after years have passed by. I rarely am truly sad, even in situations like funerals when I'm supposed to feel sad.

I have a very good sense of knowing how others are feeling, often so much that I can anticipate how they react and sometimes try to steer them toward not getting upset/angry through carefully choosing my words and actions. Sometimes, this goes to the extreme where I know someone is not picking up on the clues of someone else, and I'm trying to adjust myself to diffuse the situation.

I don't share my feelings with most people. My mom is probably the closest person I can share with, and she always gives good advice. However, most of the time I can come to my own conclusions after extensive thought. This is usually how I dissipate my anger at others.

5. Sal

Sal Guest

When in public I keep my emotions locked up tight. If someone asks me how I'm feeling I won't give them an honest response. I have yet to find someone with whom I can let down my guard and be completely honest with. When dealing with others emotions my sensitivity depends on where they stand in my life, and who is around to witness our interaction. If a friend or family member were to come to me in distress I'd comfort them out of obligation and a sense of duty. If a random stranger were to be overly emotional in my presence I'd more than likely feel uncomfortable and try to help them if only to put an end to the awkward situation. I find it easy to pick up on the emotions of those around me but will ignore them as I find it distracting and off putting.

only when i'm in a private location do I allow myself to vent out my inner feelings. Whether it be by crying, screaming, or trowing things. I hate when my emotions get the best of me as it usually leads to me making impulsive decisions and getting into unpleasant situations.

6. SecretlyASloth

As of lately I have very little tolerance for many of my emotions, and that intolerance often puts me in a depressed state. I used to be able to just put those feelings away but I just don't know.

7. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Questions questions and more questions.

I am fully aware of my emotional feelings. I just flat refuse to express them all. And no I do not talk about my emotions to everyone. Very few people are entitled to know that much about me.

I am aware that humans have emotions - somewhere - I tend not to notice nor bother to manage their emotions for them unless directly asked for help.

I do make decisions based on 'gut instinct' however I have discovered that gut instinct is not purely emotional, it is more or less your brain having connected dots subconsciously - leaps in logic. Which often does follow a logical pattern.

8. Capsaicin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm emotionally aware, I just don't have many and don't see a need to express them often. It's annoying when people think I'm hiding something that doesn't exist.

9. FreeFlow9917

10. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

I'm very emotional, too much.

11. GayNerd

I am always way too Sensitive. I get sad or upset very easily. Plus, I can tell that I will stay like this for the rest of my life.

12. leer

some of my emotions of my I keep bottled up inside me. ''am stubborn like that I know '' but that would be something I find difficult to open up to . stuff that I can talk about I usually looking at it in cheerful way .

13. SurprisingDanny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes I do physically feel emotions. but Im not very good at fully processing them. I just know when theyre there because they're very tangible.

Stress: I usually feel this as a heavy tummyache as if something were crushing my abdomen. It also comes as sharp headaches.

Nerves: this always comes as diarrhoea tummyaches o.o excuse the toomuchinformation

Disappointment: this is a stomachache. Not the intestines but the stomach. Near the diaphragm.

Sadness: this comes as a chesty heaviness without tears.

empathy or nostalgia: tears and a tender feeling chest.

depressive/feelings of insanity: a very sharp pain that goes from the left breast to the right bottom of ribcage near the diaphragm. This is usually a shallow pain as if it were a needle poking through. Sometimes it can start from as far up as my left ear or temple.

happiness: light headedness

excitement: small pain in fingertips

relief: intestinal tension relief.

relaxation: no pain anywhere and it is very difficult to irritate the skin or anything else

14. ClosetedMan

Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting topic that made me think.

I consider myself very aware of the feeling of those around me although I'm not always responsive in a way that is empathetic or sympathetic.

In general I subscribe to the mentality that we are responsible for our own feelings (within reason). That being said, I can think of a few times in my life where I had a physical reaction to an emotional situation.

15. Exstatic

At work, I choose what emotions to show whenever a business decision is being made.

For personal matters, i hide my emotions on private matters but I can't hide my irritation and disappointment towards other people.

I've learning (and still learning) to control my emotions in work and in non-work.