1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New law in California?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Redd, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Redd

Out Status:
    Some people
    Alright so this might be a bit long but I need to vent and I would appriciate any opinions you have on this....

I have this friend who generally doesn't agree with anything she thinks contradicts the Bible, but she doesn't usually force her opinion on people so I have respect for her opinions most of the time. But earlier she randomly just started bashing on California. Apparently a law was passed that allows trans/gender fluid/confused people ti use whichever bathroom they prefer. I haven't really done any research on the law so I don't know how legitimate it is but even so, she had some arguements against it.

Firstly, she thinks that allowing people to pick a bathroom suited to their perfered gender will lead to a massive amount of straight guys going into girls bathrooms and being perverts.
    Her other point was that she thinks people will start having sex in bathrooms all the time because they could claim to be "genderly confused" and that would somehow make it ok.

I feel like that probably wouldn't be a huge problem because trans people generally get so many negative responses. I don't think anyone would want to subject themselves to that unless they really were gender queer (I hope the way I worded that doesn't come off offensively, I don't really know how else to say it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). But why would somebody choose to pretend to be something they aren't if it meant dealing with society's dislike of trans people? Society definitely needs to be more accepting, but people today just aren't (at least the people I've met) and that's the harsh reality of it.

If that came off offensively at all, I really don't mean for it to. I'm completely accepting of people, regardless of gender identity, and I hope some day the rest of the world will be too. Anyway, what do yall think of this law? I can see the logic aginst it but I can't really it actully happening that way.

2. photoguy93

I'm a huge proponent of playing the "devil's advocate game." Yes - I think we could have issues with some pervert saying that he's actually a girl and that he wants to just go to the girls bathroom. I get what people are saying.
    However, we could say that about letting old people in with going people. I see what people are saying, but I think that if it really has standing, then I think that it's something they should do.

3. blueberrymuffin

Bathrooms in the dorms here are mixed gender, probably to cut down on costs. It's never an issue. Your friend is delusional, because no one in their right mind will do anything like that in public. It sounds like the same tired arguments of keeping gays out of the military, sports teams etc.

4. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having a faith does not excuse stupidity.

Your friend is being stupid. Not ignorant - there is a difference, in this case she is being stupid.

Besides which, no where in the bible is the toilet mentioned - no where. Of course when the bible was written there was no plumbing - Well during Christ's time Rome had plumbing but the bible doesn't mention it.

Plenty of places, other nations, schools, etc have mixed gender (co-ed) rest rooms and nothing bad happens in them. Thus this 'thought' that such a fluidity will lead to straight guys using the girls room to get some 'action' or something is taking place in her head.

Which in my mind her head is in a gutter - I would have never, ever thought of sex taking place in a toilet - co-ed or otherwise.

It is the same mentality that lead to the development to the table skirt. The Victorians swore up and down that the sight of legs even table legs lead to men having uncontrollable 'urges' thus they put long skirts on the tables to hide the legs.

Now days we have tables with out any coverings and no man has gone off the wall crazy at the site.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My hippie college had some mixed-sex and some single-sex bathrooms, all with gang showers. Every year they'd discuss it with the new residents and the first year students were always terribly concerned that allowing people of mixed sex to shower together would inevitably result in out-of-control hormones and wild orgies.

At one of these mornings I painted the picture of rolling out of bed 10 minutes before class, jumping in the shower semi-comatose and said that sex would be the last thing on anyone's mind at that point. After this was briefly discussed, people agreed, and that was the end of it.

I think, talking about California's new bathroom law... it's exactly the same thing. Any trans person using their preferred-gender bathroom is not going to be thinking about sex with anybody. And if some dumbass straight guy tries to use the trans law as a guise to hit on women... I'm quite certain he'll find himself in jail just as quickly as he would before the law passed.

The crap that goes through the minds of these people just never ceases to amaze me.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know, sometimes the dining table just gets me a little crazy. :lol:

But seriously, your friend is being stupid. Some Swedish public areas have genderless bathrooms, and nobody is having public sex or being any more perverted than normal. It's fine. Nothing bad will come of it.

7. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Bathrooms are common for both genders at the university I study. No one has been raped. The females should learn to be more clean and not throw their used tampons on the floor though.

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is from my understanding that the majority of transsexuals won't start using "opposite sex" restrooms until they've started transitioning and passing to some degree. Until then, it's usually the one that matches their biological sex.

I just can't see straight guys seriously taking such a huge risk for a few seconds of entertainment, not when actual transwomen have to put up with so much harassment and negativity just to be able to do something so basic. Women tend to socialize more in the restrooms, and transmen/women make up an extreme minority, even within LGBT circles, so I'd think word would spread fast on who was and wasn't early on.

Whether your friend knows it or not, it's opinions like hers that keeps transsexuals in such a dire situation. At least, gay men and women can hide their orientation, when trans can't, and are continually denied basic accommodations in housing, education, employment, health services, etc.