1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is gay marriage legal in california?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Aug 16, 2013.

1. person57

Does anybody know if gay marriage is legal in california?

2. LD579

3. Jimi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes it is! They just recently passed it. It's shocking California wasn't like the first state to legalize it. Not only that, but to have it legalized and then banned again! I would probably take a guess and say that California is known for large gay communities ie. San Francisco, West Hollywood...

4. blueberrymuffin

It has a sizeable gay population, but CA (or any state really) is far from progressive. But yes, it's legal now.

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep. The SCOTUS ruling Hollingsworth v. Perry upheld the circuit court of appeals ruling that made same sex marriage legal in the state of California.

6. Brightsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you've never seen " the Mormon proposition" it's a very interesting documentary about prop 8

7. Californiacoast

Yes we can get married here in California! When I moved here we could not. It has been a long bumpy ride, but thank God for the Supreme Court. Now to find a husband that will take out the trash and watch football with me...

8. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    That's not necessarily shocking. That was due to the large number of ethnic minorities in the state (more exactly blacks and hispanics).

9. ScatteredEarth

Hmm this is the first I'm hearing of this. I thought it was still banned.

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The short answer: yes it is.

The long answer:

After Proposition 8, which amended the California Constitution to read:

"Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California"

was passed in 2008, about a year laterWhen the Supreme Court heard Hollingsworth v. Perry, they dismissed the case due to lack of standing by the plaintiffs, Hollingsworth and the Proposition 8 supporters. In a nutshell, they ruled that only government officials can defend a law against a challenge. Since California Governor Jerry Brown and CA Attorney General (And according to Barack Obama "the best looking Attorney General in the country") Kamala Harris both refused to defend Prop 8 in court, a private group of citizens did it for them.

In the end, SCOTUS dismissed the case because the plaintiffs didn't have the legal right to appeal the case. In August of 2010, Federal Judge Vaughn Walker stuck down Prop 8, and a 3-judge panel in a Federal Court of Appeals affirmed the ruling, which was then appealed to the Supreme Court. Because SCOTUS dismissed the case, the lower court ruling stood, and Prop 8 is legally dead.

Now a bunch of Republicans keep challenging the ruling to the California Supreme Court saying that the Appeals Court didn't actually rule on the case and therefore Prop 8 is still valid. The State Supreme Court has continued to reject this, but these people just don't understand the meaning of "no."

So yes, gay marriage is now legal in California.

11. Gen

Gen

I'm not quite sure what you are insinuating as the most diverse states in the United States have been of the first to legalize same sex marriage throughout the country. Studies have not shown ethnic minorities to be any more accepting on same-sex marriage, equality, or diversity in general. Conversely, history has shown in us quite the opposite in regards to Caucasians. (Though I'm certainly not judging, statistically, that is just what has been shown. Everyone could still use some improvement in the name of tolerance.)

12. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm yes the liberal coastal cities, a stain of shame for the rest of California which is very conservative - very.

Fresno, Stockton, Turlock, Modesto and all of those thousands of other small communities are pretty close to 100% conservative.

California has a bad image. The media focuses on its Major Metropolises and flat refuses that California is largely rural, farming communities. If you knew the state as it really was, you would be Shocked that California is as liberal as it pretends to be.

The more conservative parts of California are not too terribly pleased of the notion that California is considered 'liberal'. If you took it county by county, the majority of California is a red state. Split-Up California? – InstaBlog – Community Viewpoint

[​IMG]

The majority of the Blue is on the wrong side of the San Andreas Fault. When she goes we real Californians will have our liberal cancer cut away from us as its slides into the depths of the oceans where God intends that Sodom to descend!

LOL - I'm a centrist moderate, I don't really care either way... I have, however, heard way to many Californians express their desire for the fault to rip open and dump the liberals into the sea.

I live in the red area, near the geographic center of the state. It is a far, far different culture here than on the coast. It is more like the Midwest/Bible Belt

13. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    California is a strange state in that sense. California elects the most liberal politicians in the country (Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer, Dianne Feinstein, Lynn Woolsey, Maxine Waters, etc.) and yet when it comes to ballot measures, they're REALLY conservative. Banning gay marriage twice, voting to limit property taxes, several times to "get tough on crime," once to "kick those nasty illegals OUT!" and twice to keep the death penalty.

14. ScatteredEarth

California has to be one of the strangest states I know.. With a severe case of bi-polarism..

15. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    California is one of the states I'd live in, and it's pretty high up.

California
    Minnesota
    Maryland
    Washington
    Nevada

_______________________________-

Hey, this is my 650th post!

16. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It supposedly is legal here, but they seem to always change their minds... :confused:

17. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    What I'm saying is that 49% of white people voted for Prop 8 and 51% against it (same as asians). However, 53% of hispanics voted for Prop 8, and only 47% against. Also 70% of blacks voted for Prop 8, and only 30% against it. Ultimately, Prop 8 passed due to black people, and to a certain extent hispanics, who considered that homosexuals did not deserve the same rights as heterosexuals. This is the reality. Make what you will of it.

Source: Analysis of California Proposition 8 Exit Poll Data

#18 Adi, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  18. Gay marriage is legal in California since June 28, 2013. And yeah, it's pretty weird how our politicians are very liberal, yet most of our counties are rather conservative. However, Orange County (the coastal area just south of LA county) is becoming more and more liberal every year, because they always barely get enough votes to declare a Republican majority (51.9% voted for Romney and 50.2% voted for McCain). However it's still a notable conservative county.

I think California is considered to be liberal because the liberal counties are very populous like Los Angeles County, Alameda County, and San Diego County. Orange County is the only populous conservative county in California. Luckily for me, the inland counties are very conservative, but due to the mountainous terrain, unfavorable weather, and dry spells in the valley due to rain shadows, it's not so populated (except for Kern and Placer county).

19. Gen

Gen

You should learn what those statistic even relate to before you throw them around everywhere.

African Americans make us less than 7.5% of the California population. Despite the fact that Hispanics weren't even that far below Whites to begin with, the Caucasian population still largely outshines both the Asians and Hispanics.(Though not nearly as drastically as African Americans).

African Americans are still a large minority in this state, not to mention one of the lowest presences in the polls. Any middle school Algebra teacher can tell you that statistical percentages are always highly inflated with the minorities. Nothing is getting passed solely, largely, or even much of slightly, "by them".