1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hometown depression

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So my parents convinced me to stay in my hometown in North England for a couple of weeks, and well I have been here 3 days and hate it already.

I got told that I am "too bright and noticeable" for the place by my parents, nobody is around, the only local gay bar is a drug fueled mess I would never set foot in, there is no pride, chavs who call anyone even remotely gay looking a "faggot" and so on. My old friends from school see me as "the gay one" . I am sick of it, I am considering getting an early flight back to Dublin and just put up with the charge.

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Whats the next town to you?
    How far up North, if it's near Manchester, don't forget Canal Street :slight_smile:

3. Beware Of You

Manchester is not Northern!! Like 5mi from Scotland

4. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's Northern when you live in the West Midlands :roflmao:

Coronation Streets called a Northern Soap & that's based in Manchester :badgrin:

I suppose from Scotland you are going back on yourself :slight_smile:

5. Beware Of You

I went to Uni in Coventry, trust me a 1.5 hour train journey to Manchester is nothing compared to the 3hr to get here

6. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear your visit home is rough.

It's funny. I find my hometown to be pretty depressing as well. I know many other people who feel the same way about their hometown. I know I could never imagine living as an openly gay man in my hometown. Maybe that's part of the reason I dislike it. I don't feel like I can be honest about who I am there. To live there equals living in shame.

It sounds like your parents are essentially asking you to hide who you are which might bring back some of the emotions that you wrestled with before coming out. I know that would definitely bring out those emotions in me. Just a theory. I won't claim to be inside anyone else's head. Hope things get better!