1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling no connection to a "home town"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So I am visiting my family, and well I can't stand my hometown in NW England anymore. I can't be myself here because I would get gay bashed and there is next to no LGBT community out here.

My family are horrified at how I don't call here "home" anymore , I just see it as a place where I used to live, and well I hate it.

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I feel the same way about my "home"town. The fact that my parents live there is the only good thing I can say about it. It's the kind of place people go to when they like where they are in life and don't want anything about it to change, so nothing ever happens there. And when I was living there, I needed things to change.

I'm glad to be out. My current city (also where I went to college) feels more like home to me than my "home"town does. I've laid down way more roots here than I did there, and there are actually things to do. I'm incredibly thankful I was able to get a job and stay here after graduating. Even if I weren't able to get a job, I very well might have chosen crashing on someone's couch over moving back home.

3. leer

have always found that NW England is homophobic in meany places like council estates and rough area's If people had found I was Gay at school my life would have been hell .I have moved away now but am not to far away from the area .

4. ScatteredEarth

My hometown was just a place I lived in for a few months after I was born.. It was somewhere in Upstate New York.. I consider Bethlehem, PA my hometown.. The irony is pretty funny when I think about it :3

5. Harve

Oh I love my hometown (which is in the Midlands but likes to pretend it's in the North) and I'm glad I feel an attachment towards it, flaws and all.

But since moving away and losing my accent and whatever, I've felt a bit alienated/a bit of a foreigner.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can happen. I liked my hometown in the physical sense, but many people have said I'm not like my hometown in terms of personality. People thrive in some cities and wither in others. They say "Oh, it's you." No it's not. Some places work for some people and not for others. People who have moved know there's no perfect place, but some make for better chemistry for some people.

7. Hrantou

I like the quote: "Our home is where we are. Our place of origin is not relevant, only where we choose to go together."

I feel no connection to my hometown. To me, its just the place where I happen to live right now. I will leave it one day and never return.

8. Matty1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I still live in my home town (well I moved here when I was 6 but I count it as my home town) and I feel like I have no connection whatsoever here. It's sad for me to say that the place I've spent the last 12 years of my life means nothing to me and the sooner I go to uni in September the better. The only reason I would ever come back here is if any of my family live here in the future.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was raised in a house separated from the world by ten acres of rain-forest, so I never have had any connection to a place before Canberra, which I don't feel connected to. I do feel at home with family, and whenever I go to some of the small towns in Finland I have relatives in, all I need do is say I'm one of them, and they make me feel at home.

10. NEWFrontiers22

Believe me, you’re not the first person to feel this way, gay, straight or otherwise. We've all been there, people get older, they grow, change, evolve. Pretty soon you find that foot no longer fits the shoe, what do you then? Why, you go out and buy a new pair! :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2013 at 04:03 PM ----------

Yes, that is very true, home is where the heart is. :slight_smile:

11. blueberrymuffin

Yeah, i know how you feel. I'm probly never going back to mine. Incestuous small towns are the worst, not only to live, but especially if different. Since i have a gay label there, it just seems like suicide to go back.