1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I being underpaid???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MoyashiAlice, Aug 17, 2013.

1. MoyashiAlice

Hi~

So, I have a part time job in Ontario, Canada.

Minimum wage is $10.25 and my job pays bi-weekly. For the past two weeks I have worked 26 hours. Therefore, base salary should be $265.

My paycheck I got, taxes and all off was $146. So approximately 45% went to taxes apparently. That seems like quite a lot for a part time job...

In Canada we do have federal, provincial, retirement, etc taxes. But this tax bracket seems high to me. Is there anyone who could help me understand or calculate if the amount I was given is correct?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you get a pay-slip or just a cheque? Also how long have you been working this job, if it's your first 2 weeks (and I'm guessing it is or you'd probably know how much you would be earning) you might be getting payed a week in arrears or whatever its called...where the don't pay you for the first section of time and pay you it at the end...I'd ask your employer at any rate...

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I checked the tax rates for Ontario and it indeed seems that you're paying too much; there are good websites for this, 45% is rather high.

4. MerBear

i think so, i guess thats better than getting paid $7.25 where I live, you can't pay rent with that

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's really important is what you're being paid, and what's being deducted. You should have, either handed to you, or available online, a paystub that details your earnings, and each deduction made. It's possible also that your pay period is staggered so if you've just started, you may only be getting paid for a week, and your next paycheck will be for two.

6. Hefiel

I think Chip is probably right.

What's more is that if you're only working part-time then I assume that you're still a student? In which case you "normally" wouldn't be paying taxes to begin with, or else you should be getting that money back when you file for your taxes. At least that's how it is (or was?) in Quebec, should be the same in Ontaria (at least on the Federal level). Probably a good idea to get informed, either by checking with your employer, or talking with the government office.

#6 Hefiel, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  7. rabbit1

rabbit1 Guest

yes you should get ahold of your pay stub and check to make sure that there is no mistakes on it. It does happen sometimes with part-time workers. So yea get your pay stub and make sure

8. MoyashiAlice

Hi everyone~

Thanks for the information so far. I have been at this job for about 2 months and there has never been a problem with the money. I recently went on vacation and kinda got confused about the weeks I was be paid when I got my check as it seemed under. I am paid by cheque but never get a pay stub or anything.

A work colleague told me that they pay every other Thursday, which would mean August 1 to 14. However, it seemed under so I was wondering if they did a different week for me since I went on vacation.

When I asked about it though, my bosses got really upset, thinking I was accusing them of not paying enough. I told them I just wanted to know what weeks, to which one of my bosses said "You don't need to know that your still in training. Leave the financial work to us."

My other boss was a bit better about it, though he doesn't speak English that well. He said that he does pay every other Thursday and showed me some calculations. He does it by hand it looks like though, so I'm a little skeptical.

One work colleague tells me that they always pay her for her time. The other said they paid her under then seemed to make up for the difference the next week.

I'm kinda confused about what I should do. My bosses get pretty upset when I bring up the money as it is a small local shop, and they seem to think I am accusing them (They don't speak English great.) At the same time, I am worried that the boss handling the finances is making some errors in his calculations and want to make sure I am getting the right amount. Any clue what I should do? :frowning2:

9. srslywtf

Sounds a little dodgy, I guess see what happens next time (assuming you can afford to wait..)

They shouldn't be getting upset about it though, that might just be the english barrier or it could be a sign of something else...

10. starfish

Well according to the Ontario Ministry of Labour they are required to provide you with a paystub. Payment of Wages | Ministry of Labour

Honestly if they are going to give you a hard time about something like this, I'd start looking for another job. They don't sound like the greatest people to work for.

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much in agreement with everybody else. You have the right to go back and ask your bosses to have another look at their calculations. Also, given that you are earning around minimum wage the mandatory deductions (federal taxes, CPP, EI) should not amount to 45% of your gross pay. If your employer is not paying you any additional benefits, which should be be laid out in a written and signed contract, there should not be any additional deductions.

Now, given that you have mentioned you were on holidays, what does your contract say in regards to holiday pay? Do you get vacation pay during your training period?

12. MoyashiAlice

Hi guys~

Yeah, I may wait till my next one comes in to see if they overpaid/paid the difference. They may have trouble paying it all upfront or something which is why they get upset. If it still seems under though, I will ask for a pay stub. They are really nice people, and give the employees all of the additional tips left in the tip jar.

They have never made me sign any sort of contract. Is that normal for a job?According to one of the managers I am still in training, which I have been for 2 months. :/

13. leer

When I asked about it though, my bosses got really upset, thinking I was accusing them of not paying enough. I told them I just wanted to know what weeks, to which one of my bosses said "You don't need to know that your still in training. Leave the financial work to us."

In training or not you have a right to question what you are getting paid . he was out of line telling you that .