1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College communal bathrooms

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Aug 17, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, turns out that the dorm we're going to be in has a communal bathroom. (shiver)

Does that mean locker-room type showers with 15 shower heads and no privacy? I'd think that it would have urinals and stalls (obviously), but the shower thing, well, that's unsettling.

If I had a nicer body, this wouldn't be a problem. But I don't and so I'm really self-conscious I get it.

2. Kor

Kor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've never lived in a dorm, but the ones I've visited had showers that were these little stall/closet looking things with a curtain, and there were rows of them.

3. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes

4. Gallatin

When I lived in a dorm with communal bathrooms, there were like four showers or five showers, I think. Each had dividers that were probably about 7' tall, enough so that you couldn't see between showers (unless you're like Shaq or something haha), and curtains as the entrance.

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hallelujah!!!!

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't believe colleges spend that much money to have the latest and greatest in everything, and then they can't organize their bathrooms into shower stalls with metal dividers and a curtain for basic privacy. Or, if they didn't build them that way, they could always remodel them to be that way. I had the divided partition situation, a shared bathroom between dorm rooms when in a better college housing complex, and my own apartment later on. I had one major issue with a roommate who was a major pot smoker and I resented that all my stuff smelled like his hobby. And he had the gall to be pre-med. I got another roommate and lost track of him. I think he transferred schools as well. I think that the dorms get better as you become an upperclassman, that is, if you don't move into off-campus housing later.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on the dorm. When I was at Oberlin, there were a couple of dorms that had communal showers (15 shower heads in one large room) and a bunch that had individual shower stalls.

The dorm I lived in had the communal showers, and was also co-ed, so one of the three bathrooms in the dorm was mixed-sex (men and women.) It was always a bit controversial, particularly for the first-year students, but after a week or two people realized it was totally a non-issue. (For that matter, if you open yourself to the idea, showering naked in front of others is also a non-issue once you realize that nobody cares how you look.)

I remember the first week, I was in the shower and one of my friends was across from me and nobody was saying anything to anyone. I started talking to him and he was giving these very short answers, and later (outside of the shower) he laughingly said that his response was basically "Don't talk to me, I'm naked." But we started a trend and within a few days, there were these longwinded conversations going on and people were staying longer in the showers to have the conversations, and nobody was weirded out (other than maybe the new people coming into the shower, naked, in the midst of a deep philosophical conversation with a bunch of naked people.)

So... even that part of your college experience can be an interesting and rewarding one if you open yourself to it. :slight_smile:

8. Ticklish Fish

Wait, you haven't tour your campus dorms yet? I thought they will show you what it looks like, or even walk in to see?

One of my college dorm have communal bathroom, but I think it's the sink that's open, but there's stalls for pooping and shower. (I just visited someone, I can't remember the detail.)

Anywho, maybe see if you can take a look (again)?

and I wouldn't worry about body lol. People in this society would at least worry hygiene than body, unless you live in underdeveloped regions. (then it might be food first)

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You won't know until you see what you get.

But I'd guess there is a very good chance that there would be something for privacy in this era.

10. I've been in lots of dorm rooms, some had communal bathrooms and some didn't.
    The ones I lived in with communal bathrooms had stalls around each shower head. I don't think anyone I know who lived in the dorms had just one big room for showers.

And despite the fact that I shared the bathroom with like 30 girls I almost never saw anyone in there because I chose to shower at times of day when there weren't many people around.

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    However, let's consider the worst case scenario situation: the showers are gym type. To make this scenario as horrible as possible, we'll specify the type of gym shower that has multiple shower heads mounted on a single pole. (As shown in this old Bradley ad.)

As awful as this might be--and the fear of this situation was a major reason I never lived in a dorm--there are ways to work around the problem. Shower at times when no one is around the bathroom. Perhaps shower elsewhere (like a gym) when that elsewhere is quiet.

And trust me: if the showers are zero privacy, you will not be the only guy who is less than happy. There will probably be at least one person who takes one look and says "Oh :***:! I thought I left this :***: behind the last day of PE in high school!"

Also there would be guys who've never used a group shower who'd take one look and say, "You've got to be kidding me!"

Even guys who have showered publicly at gyms and been fine with that might not be thrilled. A gym requires a less thorough shower. Meanwhile a dorm shower will involve scrubbing body parts that often are pretended not to exist in locker rooms.

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, at freshman orientation, they specifically said you wouldn't be able to go in your dorm building unless the one they use for orientation was your assigned building. Not sure why though.

13. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At UNT, the bathrooms have dividers for the showers. I can't imagine a big room with 15 shower heads.

14. Amerigo

stalls in american public bathrooms are really short, you can see right over them. i never use them.

15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd bet it's a security thing--only current occupants allowed.

I haven't gone near a dorm in years, but from what I've heard, security has been tightened quite a bit since I was a student. Doors are always locked, and outsiders are not to just merely wander in. Or so I'm told.

Years back, at my college, outside doors were open during the day, and no one batted an eye when a non-resident wandered in. How times change...

16. biggayguy

You could just schedule your first class earlier than your dorm mates.

17. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Strange, I think it's more dependent on the University though.

At my University, they have people that takes tours of the dorms all the time. Non-residents walk in all the time to eat, so it's kind of expected so no one bats an eye. The doors are locked on the weekends though and the RA on call is supposed to lock the dorm doors at 7pm. After that, if a person comes to the door, if they establish proof that they can be there, we let them in. Students have to slide their IDs to get into the dorm after 7pm though.

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sure the security policies vary wildly from place to place. For that matter, dorm policies in general probably vary quite a bit.

One issue with security is obviously the location of the college. The one I went to (and which I've been told has gotten a lot more serious with security than when I was there) is located in a bad area. One of the highest crime rates in the county. So security is going to be a lot more of an issue than, say, a college in peaceful little town in the middle of nowhere.

19. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

So...you spend 80k+ for an education, yet you have to share a bathroom? What a rip...

20. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Another thought in case of the worst case scenario:

First idea may cause a reaction of ick. I only recommend it a short period while working out another solution, like finding a time when the bathroom is deserted. But there is a chance that there will be a swimming pool that will be available to the students. This may not apply in your area, but in my area people quite often shower with a swim suit on. Obviously, you won't get as clean under your suit, but it would be good enough to get by a day or two while figuring out other options.