1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which is your favorite legend or myth?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by swifter, Aug 17, 2013.

1. swifter

swifter Guest

Mine is that greek story of the creation of the hyacinth, it tells the story of the love between Apollo and Hyacinth, one day they were playing with the discus, and then Zephyrus, the god of the west wind, jealous of Hyacinth's love towards the sun god, with a strong wind gust, re-directed the discus thrown by Apollo in Hyacinth's direction, killing him. Apollo thinking he accidentally killed his lover, told Hades to not claim the young man's soul, so out of the mortal's blood and his tears of grief, Apollo created the hyacinth.

I love it because it shows that even though there were laws, at least gay men were not seen as "unnatural", although pedophilia was seen as a privilege o_o. Apollo wasn't the only bisexual god, Hermes, Poseidon, Dionysus and even almighty Zeus! who fell in love with Ganymede and kidnapped him and made him a deity! i sometimes wish i lived during that time ;-; and Apollo fell in love with me... then again people were still punished for stupid reasons, anyways tell me which is/are your favorite myth/s or legend/s? what does the story tell? they can be LGBT themed, about terror, mystery, or fantasy or anything x3!

2. biggayguy

--Wikipedia--

3. Hun

Hun

Ragnarök has always struck a chord with me. It's so powerful, so beautiful.

4. swifter

swifter Guest

well ._. at least i'm not the only one here knowing the origins of masturbation in greek mythology and the reason why many greek/roman statues had small male genitalia...

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2013 at 07:18 PM ----------

oooh what is it about? tell me more :3

5. wity

Orpheus taught me to never look back
    :eusa_ange

6. Goblin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I always liked Artemis and Athena as being like powerful greek women who were also badasses. Hephasteus (sp?) and Hermes were also my favorite gods one for his craftsmanship and the other for his trickery.

Recently I've been more interested in Northern European and Asian myths (if anyone has any good ones please share!) because I am much less well acquainted with those and I'd love to learn about them.

Generally I like trickster gods, and shapeshifting gods.

7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    John Henry, for a few reasons. Not only is he a legend that did a completely amazing thing with a tragic death afterwards, but his story is true. The legend pulls the story a tad further than it really is, but for the most part, it's the real thing!

8. swifter

swifter Guest

hmmm... i'll research that later, sounds like something i would enjoy reading :grin:

9. wity

Oh god how I envy Artemis and Athena, what I wouldn't give to be like them, so strong

10. waders

waders Guest

i've always liked the legend of chief Owassippe. it's a native american legend from michigan. what i like about it is that it's all true

11. mchaelninga6159

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    :icon_biggabout a nimf who is called echo who falls in love with a man but got a curse put on her to repeat everything he says and she slowly vanishes and echos evrything peaple say

12. I like the Celtic myth about Rhiannon. She was a goddess who married a mortal king called Pwyll. They had a son, but it was taken on the servants watch. The servants were so scared that they killed a puppy, smeared the blood on Rhiannon's face and piled the bones next to her whole she slept. Then they claimed she ate him. Pwyll tried to stop them, but the people of the city wanted her to pay, so she was chained to the city walls, and had to offer people rides to the centre of the city on her back, telling them what she'd done.
    One day, seven years later, the son was brought in by a farmer.
    The people were horrified that they'd punished Rhiannon, but she just forgave them all.

I don't know why I love this myth. I just do.

13. Data

Data Guest

I kinda like the one where Cronus becomes paranoid and eats a bunch of people. Then his wife got tired of him eating all her children, and she hid a rock inside a blanket instead of Zeus. She hid Zeus inside a cave until he was grown up and strong, and then he enlisted the help of several different creatures that Cronus had pissed off in one way or another. I think the wife gave Cronus something that made him throw up all the children and the rock that he mistook for Zeus. Then Zeus and his army of POed creatures killed Cronus and Zeus took the throne from him.

I am sure I didn't do that justice. :slight_smile:

Also of course, how could one not love the Iliad and Odyssey?! Fantastic stories.

14. Hun

Hun

Ragnarök, the Destruction of the Powers (Powers and gods meant the same thing in Old Norse). It was the destruction of the gods and men. Nothing could escape it, whether you lived in Midgard, Helheim (or just Hel), or Asgard did not matter. The forces of good would be led by Óðinn, and evil will be led by Loki.

15. Fiddledeedee

Do I have to pick a real legend or myth, or can I choose a fictional one? If I can, then the Tale of the Three Brothers from Harry Potter is very cool, and the way it's told in the film has wonderful animation.

As for real ones, I don't know. I used to read many myths and legends (well, children's versions of them, which usually have slightly less sex), but it's been a while.

16. swifter

swifter Guest

i want to hear more about those stories! my agenda about mythology is getting full now :3

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2013 at 04:20 PM ----------

so basically another legend about the apocalypse? awesome!!

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2013 at 04:21 PM ----------

any legend or story or myth that can be considered as such :3, whether it was made up or not

17. ants96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    mine is the legend of the nine worlds and these were broken into three levels. In the first level was Asgard, the home of the Aesir. Vanaheim, the home of the Vanir. Alfheim, the home of the Light Elves. In the middle was Midgard “Middle Earth”, the home of the Humans. Midgard was connected to Asgard by Bifrost “The Rainbow Bridge” Jotunheim, the home of the Giants. Svartalfheim, the home of the Dark Elves. Nidavellir, the home of the Dwarfs. Niflheim was to the north, inside somewhere under the ground were Helheim home of the dead was. Muspelheim was to the south, it was the home of the fire Giants and Demons.

18. swifter

swifter Guest

i loved that story! even more the fact that it inspired the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series as well as the Heroes of Olympus series! i loved all poems by all greek and roman writers. i still have to read the original versions though...

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2013 at 05:15 PM ----------

suspiciously Nordic to me >_>...

19. Kenny207

Mine would have to be the Thunder Bird of the native Americans

20. ants96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    the legend of he nine worlds is Norse