1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm terrified of my basement!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aptiva, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this thread, but to me it seemed like the ideal place for this thread.

Ever since I discovered the ever terrifying and spooky numbers stations, especially UVB-76, I've become not only extremely intrigued by them, but also pretty scared too. What I am scared of is my basement.

My basement is undeveloped and quite creepy at night. My house doesn't have any interesting history because it was built in 2000. Before I discovered the numbers stations I was somewhat nervous of my basement but I was able to sleep just fine down there alone, occasionally looking around at the figures that would be the objects that are down there when I was awake. Now, I can hardly even step foot in it unless someone is with me, be it one of my family members or my pets, with the exception of my cat.

My basement is where my bed is and now that I'm scared of my basement I can't sleep down there. All the other beds in the house are taken and the couch on the main floor is out of the question because my pets like to sleep there and I feel bad kicking them off. Plus they'd end up keeping me awake anyways.

When I lay in my bed in the basement I try to take my mind off those scary thoughts but I can't. I can't get rid of the feeling that there might be something down there with me.

Just in case I wasn't clear, I'm the only one who sleeps in the basement. Everyone is two flights of stairs above me.

How can I get over this fear?

#1 Aptiva, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  2. Islander

You could let one of your pets sleep down there with you? What exactly is scary about your basement. Does it lack security, are there strange noises from the pipes, did something ever happen down there?

You could post a picture as sharing its appearance with others on here might help you get over the mysteriousness of it. However, I would check with the mods first, as I'm not sure if this is allowed.

3. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I were to bring one of my animals down I doubt they'd sleep since they're rarely in the basement and they like to "scan" the floor for things they can eat, be it food or not. Even if they didn't they'd probably just wait by the basement door on the top of the steps.

I do feel it lacks security because the windows don't have curtains and are very easy to open. The basement is not a walkout basement so the windows are just the small ones with window wells. I could cover the windows up but then that basically removes any desire to be down there at any time of day.

As for noises, I forgot to mention that in the starting post. Yes, there are noises. All of the noises, the creaks, the 'bangs' and other things resonate down there and a lot of the time they seem to originate down there which is even freakier. They aren't frequent (as a matter of fact they're not common at all) but they do happen and they are pretty freaky. From time to time I can hear footsteps even though everyone is sleeping, however I am pretty sure that it's just the neighbours, as all the houses in my city district are in very close proximity, separated only by about 7 feet at the most. Nonetheless, it's still nerve racking.

I just posted a question about the image. I was going to post a picture in the first thread but I decided against it, you know, just in case. I already made the mistake of posting a YouTube video from myself and I nearly deleted my account again.

4. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As long as the image doesn't contain any content that could identify someone and doesn't violate any rules it's fine. So, here's the picture of my basement. I took it at about 4:30 in the morning, but I'm not sure.

[​IMG]

This is not the entire basement. On the left, just outside of the image is the storage room which is actually scarier to me than my furnace room, which is covered by that white sheet just beside the stairs.

Attached Files:

5. SomeNights

jezz, you want to make it less scary add drywall, paint and lighting! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My parents were recently planning on developing the basement, but I highly doubt that'll happen due to a situation happening with the rest of my family in Italy.

But to add to your suggestion, we'd need doors as well. I get scared sitting there in the office (the room directly in front of the camera) watching funny videos on my laptop, because technically that office is supposed to be a bedroom so there's a 'closet' in there and you can see right in behind the furnace there and I'm really paranoid that sometime I'll see some kind of living figure in there. I'll go get a few more pictures to show you what I'm talking about.

7. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here's some more images. The first one is what I see when I go downstairs and the image in the body of the reply is what I mentioned in my last reply: That scary space going into the furnace room.

Any ideas on how to get over this? It's mainly the fault of the numbers stations (especially UVB-76) but it's odd because they're so interesting yet so scary at the same time.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry, but nobody can expect someone to sleep there. It´s an unfished room.
    Ask you parents to swop with you, maybe they understand then.

I would sleep on the couch instead. Or share a room with a brother/sister to sleep. And hang out in the basement in the daytime so you don´t need to move your stuff.

9. Stripe101

That place looks horrifying.

If it's any consolation, I can't go into my woods anymore because of the Slender Man.
    I know he's not real but damn...

10. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Your basement does seem kinda creepy. May I ask what exactly it is about the number stations that makes your basement creepier?

I sleep in my parents' guest room whenever I visit them, and I'm pretty sure it's haunted as hell in there. I think there's a ghost of someone who drowned in the toilet in there or something. He's kind of a dick, but is pretty harmless.

11. Naren

I'm scared of the dark lol
    I hate my basement.

12. Data

Data Guest

What about number stations makes you scared of your basement?

Number stations are broadcasted messages to spy cells deployed under deep cover in other countries. The spy has a one time use number pad decoder, and the number stations directs them with encoded orders. What's scary about that?

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't say that staying in there is creepy, as it is just a house and heat differences etc. cause things to move around a little. But all that exposed frame and insulation is an eyesore >.< Sorry about your living space.

14. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is pretty scary. My basement, I mean.

It's warm, cozy and it's comfortable (despite it's appearance) but it's just freaky, especially at night. It's funny because the main floor and second floor of my house are like "new" style.

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2013 at 02:53 PM ----------

I don't know how numbers stations relate to my basement, but when I first discovered them about a week ago I was alone in my basement and it was the middle of the night. I guess the fact that numbers stations are extremely mysterious and odd is what makes them freaky and that just added to the usual creepiness of my basement.

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2013 at 02:56 PM ----------

I have no idea how numbers stations relate to my basement, but they just add to the freakiness of my basement, mainly because when I discovered numbers stations about a week ago I was in my basement during the night.

For me, what makes numbers stations so freaky is that they're mysterious beyond belief and they're very odd and unusual.

15. NEWFrontiers22

I don't about scary, but I can understand how it could be kind of creepy there at night. Maybe you shouldn't listen the too radio at night, and you could also bring a lamp, or desk lamp down there. Don't forget you’re IPod, if you have one, music can drive away fears and any bad spirits you think might be down there.

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2013 at 10:49 PM ----------

Can you describe these "number stations"? Is it the new's, world new's, a radio show? What?

16. Jimi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, it's scary because it's not finished. All the boards, unfinished walls, ceilings, door-less walkways must give off some pretty wicked images at night. But I'm almost certain it'd still be scary even if it were finished. It's kind of ingrained in American culture that basements and attics are feared and the constant use of them in horror flicks seems to make it worse.

I'm scared of my apartment sometimes as well but I know it's my imagination going wild. It's kind of weird but when I can't sleep and I'm scared, I just say, 'Oh, well. If I die, I won't have to pay bills anymore yay!' lol. Or the fact that I live in an apartment and if I scream, the whole building will hear me. Not to mention, no one has died on the property, so there's no significant spirits lingering.

17. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Buy a new pet, maybe a cat

18. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You could always just get a couple of those 4-foot fluorescent 'shoplight' fixtures for good lighting (use the 'warm white' type bulbs rather than 'cool' so it looks less dull/cold)

but really I say:
    Looks like that basement is partally finished to me? (although if thats a concrete floor directly on the ground I see stuff that'd be against building-code where I live LOL)

Don't know how old you are, but finishing a basement really isn't that hard to do yourself...

Frameing - not really hard, but looks like that part is done already?
    Wireing - easy stuff (but you should deff know what you are doing :lol: )
    Drywall - putting it up isn't a big deal if you have someone to help, but finishing it is kind of pain and is dirty/messy

19. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I already have a lamp beside my bed, but I cannot sleep with it on. No matter how much music I listen to on my phone, I cannot seem to eradicate those fears.

As for numbers stations, they're basically radio stations that can only be heard on shortwave radios. They're extremely mysterious and their purpose is not known for sure. They only broadcast unusual noises and odd messages consisting of only numbers, letters or phrases. UVB-76 is an example of a Russian (possible) numbers station.

Their mysteriousness, oddity and unusual sounds are what freak me out.

This is UVB-76.

UVB-76 August 2010 Message