1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on impending tattoo.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Enigmatic, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Enigmatic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well guys, soon I will be getting a pretty big tattoo that will cover my back and a part of my upper butt cheek, ever since I saw it in the movie Red Dragon, I have been mesmerised by this tattoo. (Please don't think I'm a crazy sicko like Francis Dolarhyde)
    Anyways, my only concern is that well.. I'm exclusively a bottom. So my question is, will it turn off any potential boyfriend during sex and so forth. I've put attachments to show everyone the tattoo design, it will be a close to identical reproduction. I understand not everyone likes tattoos, but to those who don't mind them, please give me your opinions.

BUT I will probably end up doing it regardless of the opinions given.

Attached Files:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can't imagine why it would turn anyone off unless they just didn't like tattoos at all...in which case i probably wouldn't matter how big the thing is...that thing is massive how on earth much is it going to cost?!

3. Enigmatic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My friend introduced me to an awesome tattoo artist who does as much as you can take in one sitting for 650 Swiss Francs, (obviously smaller tattoos cost less), I should also mention that this isn't something I want simply out of the blue, I have wanted this for 4-5 years now, I always thought the yearning for this tattoo would soon diminish but here I am, yearning for it.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OUCH! I hope your pain tolerance is high then xD

5. Enigmatic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, but there is always Dr. Numb to help with the pain.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It wouldn't turn me off, but truth be told, I don't like it. :/ The horns are a bit much, and the surrounding design looks meh.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't understand the appeal of that particular tattoo, but it wouldn't prevent me from wanting to penetrate someone who had it.

8. Goblin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think the tattoo design matters less than the tattoo itself.

Like some people are turned off by tattoos and some people are turned on by them. But I can't think of any particular reason this tattoo would turn someone off (unless they really hate that movie or something)

p.s. I am impressed that you are just gonna go for such a huge tattoo! Good luck!

9. Enigmatic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It would be my one and only tattoo, and i also have given some thought to adding some originality to it by removing the thorns, just have a similar looking finish instead.

10. tulman

I've got some large ink myself so I can speak from experience. Your profile says age 17. In my part of the world you'd be illegal without parental consent. And many artists wouldn't work on you until 18 even with parental consent.
    #1) Don't drink alcohol before or during the work. It thins the blood causing more bleeding that can dilute the colors.
    #2) Pick an ARTIST, not a scratcher. Kudos to you, you seem to have this one covered.
    #3) Know what you want and give it a lot of thought. Then give it some more thought. Again, Kudos. You seem to have this one covered too.
    Your questioning the horns. If you're not sure, leave them off. They can be added later. I've changed two of mine a couple times over the years and I'm thinking of changing another one. Every time I see it in the mirror I get a little closer to changing it.
    It doesn't hurt as much as you would think. The only time it really gets your attention is right over a bone like a shoulder blade. If you are being charged by the sitting you'll be surprised at how long you'll be able to sit. My largest was done in two sittings of about 7 hours each. I knew the artist well and he did it on consecutive Sundays and only scheduled me. We would take about a ten minute break every hour, more for him to smoke a cigarette and rest his hands than for me to rest although we were both ready to quit at the end of the day. That piece is my favorite and it won a few awards at Tattoo shows including two Peoples Choice.
    It's YOUR back. Get what YOU want, not what people who won't have to wear it for the rest of their lives think you should have. Don't be concerned if a future top will like it or not. Even if he's not in to ink I don't think he'll give it a second thought when "The moment of truth" arrives. I sure as hell wouldn't! :lol:

---------- Post added 19th Aug 2013 at 09:44 AM ----------

I've got some large ink myself so I can speak from experience. Your profile says age 17. In my part of the world you'd be illegal without parental consent. And many artists wouldn't work on you until 18 even with parental consent.
    #1) Don't drink alcohol before or during the work. It thins the blood causing more bleeding that can dilute the colors. Many artists won't work on drunks or allow drinking while they're working
    #2) Pick an ARTIST, not a scratcher. Kudos to you, you seem to have this one covered.
    #3) Know what you want and give it a lot of thought. Then give it some more thought. gain, Kudos. You seem to have this one covered too. Your questioning the horns. If you're not sure, leave them off. They can be added later. I've changed two of mine a couple times over the years and I'm thinking of changing another one. Every time I see it in the mirror I get a little closer. It doesn't hurt as much as you would think. The only time it really gets your attention is right over a bone like a shoulder blade. If you are being charged by the sitting you'll be surprised at how long you'll be able to sit. My largest was done in two sittings of about 7 hours each. I knew the artist well and he did it on consecutive Sundays and only scheduled me. We would take about a ten minute break every hour, more for him to smoke a cigarette and rest his hands than for me to rest although we were both ready to quit at the end of the day. That piece is my favorite and it won a few awards at Tattoo shows including two Peoples Choice.
    It's YOUR back. Get what YOU want, not what people who won't have to wear it for the rest of their lives think you should have.

11. Amerigo

just think - you're going to have that for the REST OF YOUR LIFE, even when you're an old pensioner :S

i wouldn't for myself, but wouldn't bother me if someone else had it done

12. biggayguy

tulman gives some good advice. I agree with him. That is a great tattoo. if my back wasn't scarred from surgery I might get it myself. That would be very intense for one sitting. I couldn't do it. Good luck with it!

13. jimL

I have a tattoo on my arm. It's visible to all. I spent many years choosing the tattoo that I eventually got.

The one you have chosen is quite large. It is possible that in the future you might find that someone that you fall in love with and find out that this guy will be totally turned off by your tattoo. Wouldn't that be a heart breaker? This is for life!!!

If I could only make one suggestion it would be to get a smaller tattoo as starters. See how it feels to alter your look. See how it feels to wonder how others will perceive you with this altered look. You will go through many emotions after getting a tattoo that you never thought about. I also, like other posters here, had my tattoo altered from its original look. Be sure it's what you really want. Good luck.

Also, leaving the horns out and getting them later will be difficult, because the lines will be continued through the area where the horns are now. You can't take away the black ink once it's in place, so if you decide to leave them out it's probably going to be permanent.

#13 jimL, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  14. i personally dont like it, but thats what tattoos are a personal thing. not everyone/hardly anyone is going to like the tattoos i get in the future but they are on my body so it shouldnt affect the people around me.

if you want it and are 100% sure. then get it. dont worry about what other think. always one person who wont like it you cant please everyone, just please yourself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. tulman

Jim L has good advise about starting with something smaller, maybe on a shoulder. You can always expand it later. My first was a small animal head that was expanded on. Now it covers my whole shoulder. I would disagree with the opinion that you couldn't add the horns later, especially if you talk to your artist about it before the tattoo is done. Cover up work is popular. Tattoo conventions even have a competition class for cover up work.
    One more thing I might add that I should have put in my first post. Just a suggestion: I made a personal rule: Never get anything that can't be covered with a short sleeved shirt. I've run my own business since the early 80s and I'm active in local civic affairs. I need to maintain a degree of respectability and realize the world doesn't share my views of body art. Meeting with customers or speaking in front of a local civic group is different than riding my motorcycle with a group of friends

#15 tulman, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  16. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I like tattoos.
    I like big tattoos. And a guy can be totally covered in tattoos.
    But those horns would would totally put me off.

I wouldn´t get an erection. I might even vomit and run. :lol:
    But you could always keep your shirt on.:icon_wink
    And heck, I don´t want to fuck you anyway. I have a boyfriend.

You could actually test it. Have it drawn on your back and see what people say, how the cute guys react.

17. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

I think it's a beautiful tattoo, and as a fan of William Blake and Thomas Harris, I understand completely were you're coming from. The decision is on you of course, for me personally I don't find anything wrong with it. And btw if someone writes you of just because of a tattoo they are not worth your time. Some people will like it, some people will not, it all depends on a person. It's your body, and you decide what to do with it.

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The horns will simply make you look, well, horny!

19. Dalmatian

I'm not a fan of tattoos, so my opinion here is probably not really relevant. Firstly, there are some incredibly impressive tattoos that I've seen and, sorry, this is not one of them. Aside from the horns, everything else is, as someone else said, just meh.. looks like a half-thought-through idea to lower the contrast that would make horns stand awkwardly out if they were there alone.
    I'm just saying, if you want to go full back, there are some incredible designs.
    On the other hand, this design of huge areas with little detail will probably hold well with decades, so there's that at least.

I need to say this again, although I realize it's just irritating to keep hearing the same story again: you are very young (relative to the age you'll finally reach). I think I was a pretty responsible 17-year-old, but at 32, I really wouldn't want to have had that guy decide of what I'm gonna wear on my skin. I can just imagine how I'll feel when I'm fifty.

To answer your question, though, I wouldn't mind the tattoo with me in bed :slight_smile: Truthfully, it would probably turn me on really good (not the tattoo, though, but the personality that goes with such reckless decisions :wink: sorry, just a thought). However, the fascination would likely turn to irritation after a while.

20. Enigmatic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I appreciate everyones replies. Very good advise and points I should consider. As I said before, I have wanted this tattoo since I first saw it when I was 12-13 years old. I was so obsessed with it, I even attempted to make a painting faintly resembling the William Blake piece. I am going to get it after my 18th Birthday which is in a few months, I will also have to convince my Mother I AM responsible enough to know what I want and will have to live with the rest of my life. Since I don't want to have to sneak around I will first have to deal with this problem. Also the tattoo design HAS to be in ordnance with the US Army Policy (something I have talked over with the tattoo artist) as I will be trying to get into ROTC (Reserve Officers' Training Corps). So it won't be visible unless I take off my clothes.

PS: I added a picture of the Matisse style painting of the Great Red Dragon as proof of my obsession when I was younger. Please don't hate, I know it's crappy.

Attached Files: