1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Straight Alliance

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Neoteric, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Neoteric

Neoteric Guest

Thoughts on these clubs in schools... Are they negative or positive progress?

2. Mariall

I liked the one at mine, didn't get to go much last year but I'm going to participate more this year. The majority of the people in mine were girls, there were maybe about 3-5 ish guys. Since I went so little last year I really don't know exactly what they did, but we watched a french movie once called Tomboy. I think they play games and things. Also, you could write down topics about whatever you wanted to talk about, and they would put them in a hat, draw one, and discuss it. Topics could range from coming out, to Doctor Who. It's mainly a place to meet new people is what I found, but pretty fun! I found that the seniors running it were pretty open and cool, for seniors. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Hefiel

I recently came across this:

Antihomophobia measures in schools reduce alcohol use by students, UBC study finds

Edit: Was trying to find where I first saw this, and remembered there was a thread about this on EC's news section: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/current-events-world-news-lgbt-news/105633-gay-straight-alliances-schools-linked-lower-rates-binge-drinking-among-stude.html

4. blueberrymuffin

More and more are created every year. That reflects the progress being made locally, since these clubs are not likely to thrive without at least tacit approval by the parents. I generally don't care about HS activities at all, but I see these as having potential to really help some kids.

5. SurprisingDanny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What do you do in them? I thought of starting one up with my friend a couple years back but then we realised we hate most people at our school because they're all so boring and dull.

In my experience, most high school clubs and groups end up decaying into a small group of clique-y people who share a common interest and the rest just go there so they have something to put on their extra-curricular activities list.

6. Kenny207

I don't actually know..but after this year ( I came out this year), I'm probably gonna go more often now I'm confident gay-teen....I think it's a nice progress though. I mean it's nice to know that you're accepted for who you are SOMEWHERE.

7. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I still dislike the GSA. You either get 1) a great committee that is effective and well organized... or 2) a poster making b!tching club.

Option 2 always happened in the ones ive seen. Dont get me wrong, i like the idea, i like day of silence, i really appreciate them, but they dont always work out.

Maybe just a Social Issues Club, not sure how that would work though...
    (to attract more problems like pregnancy, dating advice, drugs, etc. so more people will attend)