1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cant sleep

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by michaelman, Aug 19, 2013.

1. michaelman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I NEED HELP im trying to go to sleep but i cant im having asomia and its gettin haednro gomto sleep got any ideas!?! :eussa_duh:

~PENUT BUTTE JELLY TIME!!! (!)~

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Imagine the number 1999. Now count down in 7's.

Think about how stupid breathing is! How does it work and all that.

Take your finger, write a bunch of sentences about something boring on your wall/pillow/blanket/whatever.

Do some of those while you're lying down...

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well they say staring at a screen makes it harder to sleep :/ but repetitive thinking leads your brain into falling asleep. That's why people say to count sheep, but that's really contrived. I think counting down from 2000 (in intervals of 7 optional lol) is a much better idea. When you get too tired to continue, just stop, and bam. Clear mind for sleep in seconds. :slight_smile:

4. RoguesWolfe

Oh hey another person with sleep problems..anyways if you have ever heard of meletonin it's way to get to sleep naturally!

5. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Try a warm glass of milk. Knocks me out faster than chloroform probably could. :wink:

6. SurprisingDanny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    sometimes what I do is lie down with my eyes OPEN until I fall asleep

7. Secretman

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, if my body doesn't want to sleep I figure it doesn't want to sleep, and so I stay up until I get tired enough to sleep. (Note: This doesn't work as well if you have a job, or school.)

8. Data

Data Guest

Seeing as it is 0330 and I am still awake, you'll have to take my word when I say I have pretty random but pretty serious insomnia.

I'll be frank: I don't screw around when I gotta go to bed.

I used to take Benadryl and it did work when I was younger. At this point, 3 pills won't put me out and I won't exceed that amount. While 100 or even 150 PROBABLY won't harm someone, I don't want to come close to approaching the disassociative hallucinogen dosage of Diphenhydramine. I weigh 140 lbs and I usually take suggested doses with a grain of salt.

Just a week ago, I picked up some Doxylamine Succinate. It is also a sedative antihistamine like Benadryl, but it is a bit different and sedates more strongly then Benadryl in some people. I figured I would give it a shot next time I am pressed for sleep.

Also, I have flirted with Melatonin. Melatonin is your brain's natural sleep hormone. Levels grow in the evening hours until the peak at around midnight. They then wane until morning when the light of day completely stops its production. The Melatonin may have made me tired, but it really didn't put me out or make me fall asleep faster. Melatonin delays REM sleep as well. REM is actually the highest level of consciousness you experience during sleep. As you cycle in and out of REM, you almost wake up and some people do. One night when I took 3mgs of Melatonin, I fell asleep after 45 minutes at 2300 and woke up at 0300. I figure this coincided with a REM peak and unfortunately I burst through and woke up. :frowning2: I didn't experience any vivid dreams either. Neither B12 nor Melatonin gave me any extraordinary dreams. I already have very colorful dreams to begin with though.

That's what I have tried. The only thing that has put me out like a light was the Dilaudid I received shortly after the surgery to fix my shattered distal femur and relocate my dislocated shoulder. Every single time I was given the Dilaudid I fell asleep almost immediately. Then the morphine and oxycodone put me to sleep after about 30 minutes (once it absorbed through stomach)

9. Pocky

Can't sleep, clown will eat me...

[​IMG]

10. melbournian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A warm glass of milk really helps, not too hot just around body temperature.

11. Pocky

If you're cool with using meds, have you considered just getting a prescription for hypnotics? Of course it's a decision that should be made by your doctor ultimately, however, I would say it is safer than constantly using antihistamines and not addictive like painkillers.

I've been on stilnox for a year since my body decided it doesn't need sleep anymore. Yes, it's claimed that long term use has the potential to shorten life span but I'd rather die at 80 knowing I could function every day rather than die at 85 having lived life as a zombie. :sleep:

12. ScatteredEarth

Try taking melatonin, it's natural and you can't get addicted to it, plus there are no major side effects besides drowsiness :3 The downside is that you grow a resistance to it rapidly so you should only take it a few times every other week or so.

13. michaelman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    or i cold take zqwal

14. Data

Data Guest

That's not a bad idea! I am kinda scared of the more powerful hypnotics, seeing as how my aunt took ambien and would get in her car and drive around while ASLEEP!

I don't take the oxycodone any longer, but when I did I took it in combo with Methocarbamol (muscle relaxant) and that combo (approved by doc) put me DOWN. It was magnificent.