1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite Retailer?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Menaki-Neko, Aug 20, 2013.

?

Favorite Retail Store?

1. Target

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. Walmart

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Kmart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. CostoCo

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. Other (Post Below)

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. I don't prefer chain stores

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  7. I order online

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  8. Skymall

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  9. All of them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Sears

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Lowes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    What's your favorite retail store, as in stores like Walmart or Target? Mine's CostCo, but Kmart comes at a close second.

#1 Menaki-Neko, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really like chain stores, and try to avoid them as much as I can. For most stuff, I go to thrift stores, antique stores and flea markets, maybe E-bay or Etsy; sometimes, I just find stuff for free people have tossed out around all the colleges here.

For food, I like the farmer's market, take part in a community garden, and shop the Asian grocery stores here, the local health food co-op, though I do go to a few local grocery chains. (H-Mart for Asian, Giant for everything else, maybe Wegman's)

But I try to avoid big chians, because I like the individuality of smaller, cozier places.

And Wal-Mart and their right-wing politics freak me out! Never spent one dime in a Wal-Mart, and never will.

3. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I' m not a fan of very many retailers because over here in Australia we have a duo-opoly that controls a massive section of the retail market.

I'm pro-choice and wold rather send my money off shore to a small retailer so the greedy bastards in Australia get nothing.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't like chain stores.

The only one I actually shop at with any degree of regularity is Fred Meyer. (Originally Oregon based, now part of Kroger. A lot like Target, but I think a little better, and bigger departments in some areas, like a real grocery store.)

But most material things I buy come from thrift shops.

5. RainbowMan

I shop at Target occasionally, but only because it's less than a mile from my apartment - I wouldn't make a out-of-the-way trip to go there.

In general, I'm of the "local small business" type, mostly because that's so common here in NYC. Every restaurant/bar that I generally go to is the only one of those, and I know the owner.

Very few chains have infiltrated NYC :slight_smile:. That being said, 7-11's are popping up left and right. I'm not sure where they came from :slight_smile:

The one exception is Starbucks, which you can find every 5 feet it seems :frowning2:

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I generally buy from markets when I can, and small Asian grocers are way, way better than the two giants in Australia. Small shops generally have better quality goods anyway, and far better service (who's heard of a regular customer who gets special service at a giant supermarket?).

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No kidding. I am aware of one intersection in a nearby small city that actually has a full service Starbucks on one side of the street, another in a strip mall across the street, and across the intersecting street, at least one mini Starbucks located inside a grocery store.

There will soon be truth in the joke "they are now opening Starbucks in Starbucks."

---------- Post added 20th Aug 2013 at 02:15 PM ----------

Starbucks is also one of the few chain operations I ever do business with. Not much--in recent years, I don't think they could depend on the profits from me to pay for even a day's worth of lighting, even though they always seem to have the lighting set to dim/gloomy/"has ambiance." (Exact setting depends on your view.) I'm not wild about Starbucks, but it's handy when I need to meet someone for coffee--there is always a handy Starbucks.

Although if I had coffee out regularly, I'd probably try to find a small, independent.

8. Bassplayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Skymall all the way.

9. castle walls

Amazon is my favorite by far. I really don't physically go to stores that much anymore unless I'm buying certain food items or they have a really big sale. Online shopping is usually cheaper and easier for me

10. Stripe101

For some reason, I really like Target. Maybe because their logo makes me want to shoot something.

11. AKTodd

Costco without question. We go literally every weekend :slight_smile:

Todd

12. RainbowMan

You must have a big house :slight_smile:

13. MixedNutz

I use amazon for everything basis cleaning supplies which I get from Home Depot or Cosco

14. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Haha! Skymall... YES!

15. biggayguy

The irony here is that I order online from Walmart. They have some sales that are exclusively online.

16. AKTodd

Nope, quite small actually:slight_smile: A running joke is that if we put wheels on it, it really would be mistaken for a double-wide trailer :thumbsup:

We do probably 99% of our food shopping there, usually getting 1-2 weeks worth of a particular item and staggering things so that something is always needing to be replaced. We also get gasoline, tires, clothes, electronics, cell phones, and random bits of this and that (the most recent being a crockpot) there as need or the mood strikes us. We almost always go together, to the point where the staff recognize us and actually asked me where 'the other one' was the last time I happened to be there by myself.

We also had a membership to BJ's Warehouse, a competing chain, but decided to let the membership lapse this year since we weren't shopping there as much and the rewards program wasn't paying for the membership fee anymore the way it does at Costco.

Todd

17. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Costco is awesome

18. tulman

Other. I don't shop unless I have to or can't get someone else to do it for me. I'll go to Walmart, Sam's Club, Farm & Fleet, Ace Hardware, Menards & Home Depot when I need something. The Lowes near us suks. Sometimes I go to Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Cabela's, the Harley dealer and the local gun shops even if I don't need anything. "I'm just looking".

#18 tulman, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  19. person57

I love target! :icon_bigg

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like their $1.50 dog and drink, their gasoline prices, their free samples, brand name jeans for a low cost (though now gone and mostly their store brand), and underwear (6 for ~ $10). Other than that, I hate dealing with that monstrosity.

My answer is any major outlet center.