1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think men are the same, and women are the same?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PrinceOfAvalon, Aug 20, 2013.

1. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    As far as gender-individual goes.

I have a friend who thinks that, literally, all men have the same personality traits + some. As in, all men are going to end up being a certain way, and all women are going to end up being a certain way because of the chemicals and hormones related to them.
    I'm trying not to sound so black and white. Basically they are saying, because "Jared" is a male, he is going to have this personality trait.

My opinion is that genders are possibly more predisposed to be a certain way, but Personalities can develop differently depending on the way the Individual person is raised, grows up, reacts to stimuli in his environment, and sets trends of acting and thinking. I mean, there are intersex people as well as men and women. Are they pre-disposed to be neutral?

E.g. A Guy is raised to believe that murder is Ok. Because of this, he grows up thinking its ok, and may actually commit murders. The trend sets, and its a trait of his character. "Murders occassionally, lol"
    A guy is raised to believe tht murder is wrong. He is more likely to NOT become a murder (but wont necessarily). I feel like certain aspects of your character (like Trust/Distrust automatically - morals) are literally determined as you grow up and especially in the early years of childhood development. I think they can change, but i dont think its necessarily a gender thing. A guy might grow up to be super emotional and compassionate and understanding, where as a girl might grow up to be brute, prone to violence etc etc.

I think my friend is misinterpreting social constructs as parts of hormonal influence and labeling them to an entire gender. What do you think?

Being part of the LGBT community especially, I know there are guys who have nothing in common with the majority of men, and tons of girls who have nothing in common with women. This only helps reinforce my opinion that your personality is developed and grown and enhanced instead of sole-ly created by your hormones. I also think willpower is a big factor in personality. Your hormones might tell you to do something, but because you were raised a certain way, you might know not to and stuff?

Also, where is the science behind this? Is it actually proven that hormones make all men the same as each other in some unarguable ways? Are there no exceptions? I want to believe that everyone is different, and while some men are a certain way, and some women are a certain predisposed way, its not fair to generalize. After all, isnt that a part of sexism?

I added this because I don't want my friends opinion to seem so black and white, it was a bit hard to put in different words without being biased. So is there science supporting "yes, all men have more testosterone, therefore they are xxx"
    Anyway, discuss, Do you think our hormones predetermine alot more of our personality than people assume? Or do you think environmental factors affect them more!

#1 PrinceOfAvalon, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. Lucky Oshawott

No way! I think every individual is unique in their own way and that's why they're our personalities; They're personal to us! Our personalities define us and that's why not everyone is exactly the same. Or at least. That's what I think. I mean, I guess that our mindsets on certain situations can be altered based on upbringing but when it comes down to it, people still have the ability of individuality and being unique in their own ways.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if every person had exactly the same body type and released exactly the same hormones in the same quantities at the same times as everybody else you still wouldn't get people who were 'the same' in the sense that your friend seems to think.

It ignores every other possible behavioural modifier there is! The closest thing to science behind this as far as I am aware is that hormones are released to do a certain thing. What they are SUPPOSED to do could be considered the same I guess but even then not everyone reacts the same way to them...