1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At what age did you become 'nostalgic'?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by srslywtf, Aug 21, 2013.

1. srslywtf

Just wondering..

I'm 27 and I still love new things, but my opinion has shifted to the point where I feel like I prefer older things from my life to the new things.. if that makes sense. I mean it's pretty much 50/50, but things are starting to lean toward the memories.

My wonder at nostalgia has become greater than my wonder at new things I guess is how I would describe it.

Part of me thinks I'm just old enough to have experienced the cyclical nature of things.. ie seeing that everything is basically a redo of something that happened before.. I see that from within my own lifetime. Music I liked when I was 17, is appearing now 10 years later influencing things that kids think are new :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyway, how old were you when you started feeling this way ? (if it's happened to you yet.. and if it hasn't, how old are you)

2. DanD

Hello seriouslywtf :slight_smile: I can absolutely understand that 100%. It's kinda weird, but I love thinking about the 'coolness' and 'originality' of the '60's even though I wasn't even born then. Things like Beatles concerts, internal house decoration and the way people used to dress - I even love older times, like Sherlock Holmes stuff with bowler hats and really polite upper class people who said 'good morning' as they walked past. I wish that everything could be Titanicesque (but without the sinking).

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always been nostalgic, but not for icons and paraphernalia from another time that really meant nothing to me. It's been for rites of passage and things that bring back good memories, such as places, movies, songs, cars, restaurant chains which are no longer, and stuff like that.

4. Data

Data Guest

I'm already nostalgic at 19! TV shows come on and I think back to how I felt as a kid. Music comes on the radio and I think back to how I felt in elementary school. I go through photo albums and think back to the moments captured in the photos.

I'm totally like that. I also get weird feelings when I go back to a spot I was in YEARS ago. I recently went to a spot I hadn't been in for 12 years. Standing at that same spot in spacetime just kind of makes me feel happy. 12 years ago little me was standing there, and then there I was all grown and with so much more life experience.

Going to places like the pyramids would have a profound effect on me. 3000 years old and I would be standing there looking at them like a pharoah would have. Except this time, I would have gotten out of my car, and maybe checked my cell phone before taking a picture of the pyramids. :slight_smile: See what I mean. It makes me feel spooky. The ancient Egyptians had no idea of what was to come, and whenever I go to a place that I was years ago, I think back and wonder what I would have thought if I knew everything that would happen to me in that time period.

5. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I HATE NOSTALGIA.

I am a huge gamer, particularly in the Halo Series. So hearing the soundtrack to any Halo game gives me massive nostalgia.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get nostalgia when I go to Queensland. Everything from the air to walking around the streets brings back memories from my early childhood.

7. Abbra

Sound is the only thing that really trigger nostalgia in me for some reason. Whether it's a soundtrack from an old video game, a movie, or even hearing a sprinkler go in the summer time. I haven't really gotten to the point to where I can honestly say I prefer the past or the current times, because both have their upsides. I also don't seem to have the rose colored glasses that a lot of people have, because I see things from my childhood all the time, and I can honestly say that I don't like them some of them anymore.

I'm sure there will come a time when I will prefer things from my past, but I look forward to the future right now. Though I will admit that a little nostalgia is nice once in awhile, I'd rather not live too far in the past.

8. eatsleepclimb

Like at the age of 8... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I'm so nostalgic. I don't think I'll ever leave my city because I get so homesick. Songs that I loved 3 years ago and haven't heard for a while make me cry when I hear them again. It's weird because I'm way too young to be nostalgic i think :slight_smile:

9. FloatingPiano

I'm only 18, but I have been experiencing a lot of nostalgia lately. I think this can be attributed to this shift in my life. Now is the time where everything is changing.

One thing really brought intense feelings of nostalgia for me recently. To be honest, I was almost brought to tears.

From the time I was 3 to about 13, my grandma and my mom would vacation in Ocean City every summer for two weeks. We always stayed in the same hotel and in the same room. We had to stop going because it got so expensive.

I was in OC recently with my friends family, staying at her beach house. When we would go into town, we would often drive past the hotel. It brought back such found memories of sitting on the beach in the evening, laughing about whatever with my family. Watching the sunset from the balcony. I could even remember scenes in my head of collecting sea shells with my grandma and making sand castles with my mom. Everything was so carefree then and the worries of life now, didn't even exist.

I guess I'm just really sentimental. :slight_smile:

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nostalgic? Back in my day, we only knew "nostalgia" as something old people did remembering when they were kids. Those were the days...

XD I'm not nostalgic. I've read/seen Tuesdays With Morrie and fully agree with his (paraphrased) opinion, "I've had my time to be 23. Now is my time to be 78." All of life is worth experiencing, yet eventually comes to an end. :slight_smile:

11. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always been a very nostalgic, sentimental person. I tend to live with my mind stuck in the past, and I'm always thinking about old times and old memories with people whom I miss. It's strange at the same time though—I'm very nostalgic about the past, yet there have been so many things from my past that I am not fond of. Many bad, tainted memories clutter my past, but I find myself missing it. I guess it's because there are just things/people that I can't let go of, and being in the present and thinking about the future without them hurts. It also hurts to look back and see the good things that have become mere memories, but that's where my mind lives.

12. Jonathan

I've always pretty much been nostalgic, it's just that the focus shifts over time.

For example:
    In middle school, I was nostalgic for elementary school.
    In high school, I was nostalgic for middle school.
    And etc.

13. GayNerd

10, When I finished 5th Grade. Going to a different school and missing friends.

Oh, Madison...

14. biggayguy

I'm nostalgic for 80s music and MTV from my teens and twenties. However, I'm thankful to be old enough not to make the same mistakes I made back then.

15. DerpyLittleMe12

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    12. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: lol but only with some things. :thewave:

16. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started getting it a lot around 15. Whenever a song I listened to nonstop years ago comes on the radio, I always get it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Same for me.

18. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm another one of those always nostalgic people, probably because I have a good long term memory. Even today I can remember some important memories I had in daycare and as a toddler. I love history and everything old, from Classical Antiquity to Medieval times.

19. Emberblaze

Probably 4-8... My parents got divorced when I was 3 and, I missed the way things were. And somewhere in there, I played final fantasy 7 for the first time, and then lost it. I spent about 4 years trying to hunt that down, finally got it, discs got scratched. </3

20. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A part of me embraced the old even before I was a teenager. And by old, I mean really old, like before my lifetime old. I remember seeing a tubed radio when I was about fifth grade, and it was the neatest thing ever... (Although tubes weren't that strange to me--the family TV up until I was about 5th grade had at least a few tubes inside it.)

As a teenager, I knew nothing about current popular culture. I knew more about Jack Benny and Burns and Allen and Perry Mason than I did almost any current TV show. I was probably the only kid in high school who listened to old time radio shows on tape.

I'm not that extreme now...