1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you find interacting with straight friends awkward?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MoyashiAlice, Aug 21, 2013.

1. MoyashiAlice

Ever since I discovered I was bi about two years ago, any hands on interactions with my straight female friends is awkward for me. It's not like I'm attracted to any of them or anything, it just makes me suddenly feel really uncomfortable. It may also be because I haven't told any of them I'm bi. :confused:

I don't like hugging, holding hands, kissing on the cheek, sleeping beside one another, sharing any sort of food/drink, etc.

Does anyone else who has/hasn't come out to their straight friends feel like this?

2. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im pretty comfortable around my straight friends, however the more attractive ones (of the same sex) will make it pretty awkward sometimes.

3. Secretman

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only really have one friend, and I'm not into him, so I guess no.

4. RocketMoose27

I don't feel awkward around my straight friends at all, even if they knew I was gay I wouldn't feel awkward! My real problem I have here is if they would feel awkward if they ever found out, which is why I'm still keeping my closet welded shut.
    Well, that and I'd probably lose them as friends.

5. Californiacoast

Some of the men that go to my parents church or are friends are straight and very "huggy". Pretty sure the don't know I am gay. I sometimes feel uncomfortable, but when we hug I just grab their ass and start kissing their ears while softly blowing. They get the message. Just kidding. ;-)

6. person57

I don't find it awkward at all, I have straight friends and we have no problem communicating:slight_smile:

7. Beware Of You

No, I lost a couple though

8. Data

Data Guest

Sorta kinda.

I shared a hookah with a straight male friend, and I hesitated when he passed me the wand. I wasn't sure if I was ok with sharing the same mouthpiece. It was like kissing, but not really. He had no issue with it, so I just went with and tried not to use the "wet" part of my lips to hold the tip. It was fine after a few minutes.

I love hugs! I hug my straight male friends all the time. Most of them I'm not attracted to. That always helps.

I'm not sure that I'd be ok sleeping with someone in the same bed unless they were my boyfriend or crush. For me that's just kind of odd. I know tons of people do it, but I've slept alone since I was 4-5 years old.

9. LinkLarkin

Only if I have a crush on them. :grin:

If anything, my best male friend has hugged me more since I've come out to him (I'm pretty sure he's straight) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Luckily I'm not attracted to him at all so it's not weird for me, and if it's not weird for a straight person then I don't see a need to get uncomfortable.

There are some people, friends of friends more than anything I would guess, whose reaction I am actually concerned about. I don't know anybody who's openly homophobic, thank God, but I do have my suspicions about certain people. :confused:

10. Colours

Around the few of my straight male friends who I'm not out to yet, I sometimes imagine them being awkward if they were to know I was gay. And I don't want them to. So yeah, in turn, that makes me a bit awkward.

11. Djinn

Even before I found out I was bi, I used to get really nervous around particularly feminine straight girls, even my roommate. I monitored everything I said or did to keep her from saying, "What are you, hitting on me or something?" Having someone you're bunked with suspect you of crushing on them would've been terrible (especially since my roommate was very attractive).

I guess the only thing helping me is that I'm firmly in the closet about it, so to most girls I'm straight, at least until I finally say or do something really stupid. What that will be, I've no clue.

12. Abbra

Only when they talk about boys. That basically means I won't get a word in edgewise for an hour or so.

My female friends aren't homophobic by any means... but they have no clue about how to talk about girls. I use my guy friends for that though, so I guess it evens out.

13. eatsleepclimb

I haven't really hugged anyone outside my family for so long...I just feel awkward doing it. I totally understand.
    One of many problems with going to an all girls school is that all anyone ever talks about is boys. EVER. 24/7. It's insane!

14. FloatingPiano

I personally am very comfortable with with hugging my straight friends. I've never had a problem with this.

15. BlueLines

It really denpends, I seem to be more comfrotable with those I am out too, but I am not uncomfortable with those I'm not, but akward moments still happen. But thats alright, I sometimes feel those are unavoidable.

16. Ticklish Fish

awkward before i accept myself lol

17. biggayguy

Sometimes it feels kind of awkward when a straight male nurse has to treat a private area. It's especially awkward when he's cute. OTOH how many completely straight male nurses do you know?

18. KingdomKeyDK

Well I'm straight, but I guess I don't count because I'm a guy. With guys, unless your friends are gay or just lonely, they won't let you hold hands. I myself don't mind holding hands, but most straight guys do. That's why I like to hang out with the gay guys. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The majority of my long term friends are straight, and they honestly know me inside and out, sexuality included. I'd feel more comfortable with "the gang" than an unknown crowd of LGBT, but that's because we're more familiar and have been through a lot more together. I know there are topics they're less comfortable discussing, and that's where my support groups come in.

We don't really focus on sex and relationships, either, and instead on clowning around like the old days. They're all misfits in one way or another, honestly, and I can say with certainty I've never felt any form of attraction to any of them, which frankly, is fortunate.

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's funny!