1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Regrets in Highschool

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kirito, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Kirito

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm having a bit of a downer despite it being my summer :frowning2:. Throughout high school in general I was a pretty social guy, and I actually enjoyed school because of the people I knew and the fun experience they made school to be. In grade 12 though, I cut back on a lot of activities like band, clubs, and was just in general soaking in my studies. I was trying my best to get into all the universities that I applied to, but in retrospect, maybe I could have fulfilled more social obligations and achieved similar academic results and university acceptances. I was still pretty social in class and stuff but I found it harder to keep in touch with a lot of friends. Essentially I'm asking if you guys have ever felt the same or done the same and if you regret how you acted in school with your priorities. Maybe it'll help put me at ease :slight_smile:.

2. Data

Data Guest

I don't. I did extracurricular activities in 10th and 11th grade but quit them in 12th. I wanted no distraction. I was still social, but I didn't bullshit when it came to doing my work. It didn't help me really since I ended up getting a GED, but I still think it was a good decision.

No regrets at all. Plus, college is an even better social scene.

3. Ticklish Fish

im the reverse, too focus in studying, and i kind of put a wall on people who were trying to be friendly with me :frowning2:

4. Hiems

During all of high school, I focused on my studies and did few non-academic stuff. In freshman year, the only thing I did was attend a retreat. I was slightly more active during the rest of my high school years. I attended some events hosted by some clubs, was an active member of Junior Classical League, and did some community service.

Despite having good grades, my college applications would have been stronger if I participated in more extracurricular activities. That way, I would be perceived as a more well-rounded student rather than just being successful academically.

I could have done more, such as joining my high school's SGA club and trying to apply for National Honors Society. For the latter, I had the GPA requirement but didn't meet the community service requirement. I was aware of my sexuality before high school but didn't come to terms with it until senior year, so I didn't have the guts to join SGA or even come out to friends.

The university I'm attending has an LGBT club, so I'll try to join it if my academic work isn't too stressful this semester.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was pretty active in my school and did well academically, but my biggest regret is being socially inactive. I'm naturally introverted, but I really shouldn't have closed myself too much from my friends after school, especially since most of them were honors students and not crazy partiers.

6. MoyashiAlice

In high school, I stopped someone from committing suicide, was depressed for a year 1/2, found out I had social anxiety, had a crush on another girl, had 5 panic attacks, heart trouble and so on. It was really chaos, and looking back I really kissed my social life goodbye, as I couldn't/can't show to my friends who I really am. :frowning2:

I hope to make some new friends in uni, when I get accepted.

7. blueberrymuffin

I see it as the matter was taken out of my hands, even before HS. I was ostracized and so, there was little alternative but to fall into drugs/alcohol/other vice, or take academics seriously. I don't know how to feel about it. Things are much improved now, but missing out on those years kind of sucks in hindsight.

8. ScatteredEarth

I was always out of after school activities mainly because I never had a means of transportation other than my bus. I did, however used to do a few things in Middle School but that's a different story. The school that I had attended in 10th grade wasn't exactly your idea school to join after school clubs in anyway.. Because if they found out or had the slightest idea that you were bent a bit, they wouldn't hesitate to become aggressive...

9. Pocky

I began to develop social anxiety around year 9. I had a good group of friends and we were part of a wider group who were all cool.

I got along with everyone but regret not opening up more and actually letting my friends help when they saw things weren't right with me.

I regret not getting more involved in sport. Being a private boys' school, sport was a huge deal but I was lacking any self-confidence to give anything a go, even just to play in the 'C' or 'D' team.

But yeah, these regrets don't bother me a whole lot anymore. Unfortunately I still do suffer from anxiety.

10. Abbra

Socially: Nothing. I think in High School, I fared pretty well socially. I was liked by all the people that I liked, and I had many good friends and I did many activities that allowed me to be social.

Academics on the other hand, I regret not trying harder at those. I focused all my energy into my extracurriculars. I would often have 15 hour days just going to band, doing plays, and writing my novel. I even did some of the homecoming stuff put on by the student council, which was often an extra three hours. As a result, my studies kind of went on the wayside. No, I didn't fail anything. The only class I ever failed was a physics class my senior year, and that's because I wasn't supposed to be there because I didn't have the science prerequisites to handle it. My problem was that I didn't challenge myself at all. I didn't take any AP classes, and I always went for the bare minimum went it came to my education. I was supposed to take AP history, but a glitch resulted in me not receiving my summer assignment, so I had to quit.

I regret not challenging myself and getting smarter, because I'm now kind of the stupid one out of my friends :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

11. I hated High School with a passion. I always kept to myself, was a loner, and spent much of the time being quite depressed. Life didn't get better for me until after High School and I got my first job, and started going to a local community college. Although when I look back, I wish I had more of a sense of humor in H.S. and wouldn't have been so high strung all the time. If I could go back now, I wish I had more friends -- to realize that it was okay if I didn't hang out with the "in crowd". Most of the "in crowd" were smoking marijuana which was illegal, and spent time doing underage drinking at parties. I really didn't need to be around that in the first place, and in a way I'm glad I never went.

As far as how I was with my grades, I was a lazy teenager. I went to school just to hang out, because I had to. Motivation was always a huge issue for me throughout my life.. and I wish I could have broken out of that fear of the unknown and pursued my true desires. I didn't graduate High School cum laude, I graduated Praise the Lordy. :icon_wink I failed Algebra, and another subject in 12th grade so I had to go to summer school and repeat it. I failed it again in summer school, and they basically told me "Here's your High School diploma even though you didn't earn it, out the door with you." :smilewave

12. It could have been worse; I was always kind of an introvert in high school, and I barely ever hung out with my "friends" outside of school. It wasn't until I started college that I realized what I was missing out on, and I regret it so much, even though part of the reason why I was so shy was because I was surrounding myself with the wrong people, not to mention I was in severe denial throughout high school. Anyway, it really gets me down sometimes because I see people on facebook meeting up with old friends from high school and having a good time, and that's probably not gonna happen for me because I really drifted from what few friends I had, but what's done is done and there's nothing I can do about it now. All I can do is make sure that I don't end up crawling back into my shell, and you certainly have nothing to regret. You took a year to be serious about your studies and it paid off, right? That's just one year, statistically speaking you have at least 65 more to make up for it. Odds are, you're not going to be looking back on that one year too much in the future, so try not to beat yourself up over it.

13. Kirito

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for sharing guys. Shamrockmut, your post helped in particular. I'm still kind of thinking about it, but I know that at the moment I made what I thought to be the best decisions and I know I tried my best to make a good decision at the time. I still think in retrospect, maybe I could have taken upon one more extracurricular, but I can't tell how life would have wound up if I did. Maybe I wouldn't be here! Anyways, thanks.

Feel free to continue sharing your stories and feelings. I'm sure some of us, including me, would still like to hear them.

14. Hrantou

Same exact for me, except I crushed on a guy. My high school years were crazy for me. I fell so low in high school, and the thing I regret is losing some good friends.

But high school isn't everything. Things got better. A lot better in fact! Things always get better :slight_smile: (*hug*)

#14 Hrantou, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don't have any regrets me. Nobody in high school cared for me and my inner troubled kid wanted nothing to do with the clubs and after school events because nothing appealed to me. I would have loved to start a GSA or some club, but since I'm not fit enough to lead a marching band, it wouldn't happen. Plus, my school is like a prison; so it wouldn't have happened anyway.

I kept to myself and got lost in researching my interests, reading, studying and pretending I was dead to my peers. In the 9th grade, I was welcomed back with isolation, rejection and having things thrown at me. I was Daria in a way, the "Misery Chick" that was just there to people. In the 10th grade, I was in a downward spiral since I almost lost two friends that year and thankfully they're safe now. In the 11th grade, I was struggling to keep my shit together while going to school as a closeted trans* kid, surrounded by bigotry and transphobic comments by friends and my peers. But in the 12th grade, I got the guts to leave and went to another school. Sure I was still in the system and had to chill in the closet; but at least I wasn't at a greater risk for dropping out or being jumped.

As bad as things were, they could have been much worse. My nightmares of being relentlessly and mercilessly bullied and harassed could have happened if others knew about me or I came out due to an emotional breakdown. I could have gotten suspended or expelled for snapping and taking my anger out on my peers. Anything could have happened, but it didn't. I can't say where college will lead since I highly doubt I'm going (After 12 years of nightmares, facing more just sounds stupid).

16. Glad to be of help. You'll make up for it, I promise (*hug*)

17. biggayguy

I had severe social anxiety. I was constantly putting my foot in my mouth. My grades were very average in HS so my parents limited the extracurricular activities. I regret playing chess in study hall more than doing school work. We didn't have a formal chess team or I might have been captain. I marched in graduation with my class. They gave me a blank diploma holder. Then they sent my diploma in the mail after I finished summer school. I was half a credit short at graduation. If it had been more than a credit they would have made me repeat senior year.

#17 biggayguy, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not a fun time. Not a fun time. There was a frying pan into the fire problem with a relocation and a transfer. The second was an easier high school and, while my grades were still good, they went down. Involvement? The word is nonexistent.

College got better. Grad school got even more so. I only wish high school was more like grad school in terms of the interpersonal dynamics. I guess that's too much to ask.