1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSDs/GSAs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by suppa groovy, Aug 21, 2013.

1. suppa groovy

Did/does your high school have a GSD (Gender Sexual Diversity) or a GSA (Gay Straight Alliance), and if so are/were you a part of it? Did you find it useful? What was it like?

My school's GSD used to be called GASP (Gay and Straight People—thank goodness they changed it). I joined it last year cause I was like "hey! Maybe there are other gay kids in this school and I just don't know about them! I'll check it out!" (Context: I go to a really tiny high school with a student body of about 270 kids).

Well, the GSD consisted of 1 lesbian freshman, 2 straight seniors, and 7 teachers. I didn't really feel comfortable, especially since one of the members was the school physiologist and she thought that closeted gay people weren't actually gay (wtf right?)

So, needless to say I dropped out pretty quickly. I might try and join again, now that I'm more accepting of my sexual and gender identities, but I really dislike the psychologist.

So, what is your school like when it comes to GSDs?

2. Kyllani

We couldn't find a teacher to sponsor a GSA at my high school, but we had the Young Artists and Writers Society which preeeetty much served as the GSA for all intents and purposes.

The college I attend now is too small to have anything like that, but the University in town has one. They call it the Queer Student Union. I'm hoping to attend some of those meetings this fall!

3. Secretman

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty sure we had a GSA, I never joined it though.

4. Pocky

Nope. My high school was a bit too traditional and catholic *insert pervy priest joke here*. However it was a widely known secret that the school captain from my class was gay and yet he was still voted in by the majority.

5. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not in my school, for there was no need for it. In my 12 years attending that school, I only heard of around five cases of LGBTs revealing their true colours, and nobody cared either way.

The biggest of cases was two lads from the same class who ended up as a couple. Both good friends of mine, too.