1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Defense

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MtnFr3sh, Aug 21, 2013.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    How would you defend yourself if one, or possibly more people attacked you?

Okay, I put this in the chit-chat section because I'm not asking for something for me to use, I'm just interested, and I'm sure other people are too.
    One thing is my mom is concerned about me coming out because she's afraid I'll get beat up or some shit lol Which I doubt will happen as most people at my school are open minded, even for Texas...

I DID find this, it's useful, and the sound effects and the way the people act just make me laugh, I seriously fell over laughing when the guy saw he was supposed to grab her ass to demonstrate it.
    [YOUTUBE]DZUIfT-oHv0[/YOUTUBE]

So, how would you defend yourself?

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a pacifist, but if somebody attacked me I would defend myself to the best of my ability. Not that I'd use them, but I've heard there are some pretty awful things you can do with car keys if someone attacks you.

3. RoguesWolfe

Hey I'm actually learning a bit of martial arts also kendo, mainly just for the heck of it. But I am currently working on Judo.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Judo is great. Kendo, like olympic fencing, are sports, not real self defense arts. As much as I love swords, the arts are more controlled than what I like to call martials; that is, strike-based or grapple-based systems like judo, karate, Brazilian Jujitsu, Krav Maga, etc.

I have given self-defense a lot of thought, because I am a bisexual and gender non-conforming person in Montana... So it's something I have to think about... Whenever I go out, I usually carry a five inch dagger... It's the one in my album if you want to take a look.

I believe in conflict avoidance first, but at the same time, I always want to have a lethal option.

Ziester Adrian

5. Data

Data Guest

You want an honest answer? I'd kill them. If anyone attacked me, it's justified in AZ to use deadly force in the event that you fear for life or limb. I'd kill them to prevent them from killing me.

Now, it depends on the situation too so not everyone deserves a bullet. It's case by case.

I'm always armed, between my pistol and my HD shotgun.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sooner or later I plan to carry a concealed handgun. I have my own home-brew of martial arts techniques taken from various forms, combat manuals, and pure practicality, but I have come upon the realization that in the end, nobody fucks with a gun. Unless of course they have one too, but that's a whole new can of worms. Day-to-day scraps can be deal with if you are good at fighting, yet likely averted very quickly once the weapon comes out.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've heard about using keys, too. In fact, I think I recall one case of a college woman in my area using a set of keys on an attacker. If I recall right, the wounds were bad enough that it helped catch him.

Of course, a lot depends on the key. Many car keys don't have the sharp edges on the edges these days. But there are still regular door keys.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Car keys and eyeballs are probably not the best of friends, but if accosted in a parking lot at night, I guarantee the two would meet. :S

9. letzdance109

letzdance109 Guest

Well, I think that if you could ever avoid physical violence, then you definitely should! But, there are people who will go that far, especially for us all since people can't seem to get their head out of their asses! My sisters know that, so when I came out to them, they made me carry a knife with me everywhere I go, and I still do. It never hurts to be prepared, but if you don't want a major weapon, maybe buy some mace to spray at them, then run! Haha, but still, I would say that it's better to try and calm the situation, but in the end, hope for the best and expect the worst. It wouldn't hurt to have a weapon or know some self-defense. I know both, just in case!

But hopefully it never comes to a situation like that! Fight with hugs!!! (*hug*)

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This solution is not one that would work too well at OP's high school, but it's something that's worth considering in general: a dog that will protect his or her owner.

The one huge drawback (apart from the cost of feeding the dog, vet bills, etc) is that controlling such a dog may not be easy. A certain percentage of those dog attack stories in the news are not because of a "bad breed." They are because of incompetent owners.

A dog is a solution that tempts me, particularly since Fido could give some companionship/friendship to an otherwise lonely in the real world BMC77. However, I don't know that I have enough experience or ability with dogs to be competent owner.

11. Data

Data Guest

Oh, duh, the OP is HS age. Weapons are not an option in school.

Yup, I think a good hand-to-hand skill set is really the best you can do. I would make clever use of a sharp pencil though. Outside, I'd pick up a fist sized rock and use it as a hammer. We're talking life or death here. BIG bully or multiple assailants.

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, although one supposes there are bad inner city schools where there are students packing heat!

He did indicate he wasn't looking for something to use himself. It was general curiosity.

13. ScatteredEarth

Damn.. Remind me not to cross you while you're drunk lol..

Anyway, in a situation in which I was confronted, I've shown on multiple occasions that I am fully capable of handling myself. When it comes to multiple people, however, I become the king of cheap shots and kicks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Plus I'm not above throwing people into bodies of water xD

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keys. I will never invite an attack, so responding with keys is always going to be a valid response to un-provoked violence. If there were overwhelming odds, however, I'd be likely to comply. Safety must always come first, even if I have to fight dirty.

15. leer

if someone was stupid enough to attack me I would make sure they couldn't walk away.

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two of my three sisters were sexually assaulted, they were both alone at the time or for one of them it was late at night. For this last one, she defended herself with a razor blade when the guy tried to force her into his van.

Yeah, I believe in self-defence, krav maga looks interesting and I may take some courses on it.

17. Pocky

There's usually a tipping point though. Very rarely does someone just get beaten up without some sort of verbal interaction first. Even the scummiest of scumbags will talk first.

I've never been in a fight because I never start fights (it's just moronic) and I've never had anyone try to start something with me beyond the verbal which I managed and de-escalated.

I've wanted to try krav maga though. It seems like a fighting style that would suit me. Has anyone else tried it?

18. Ashen

I'm generally a mediator/diplomat (I don't like using the word pacifist because I'm not one. Violence is part of human nature, and while I may not be violent, I understand it's kind of got a place in the world. No matter how bad that sounds), so I rarely get into fights in the first place. And the silver tongue I was born with usually helps me get out of any situation I get into. Generally I find words to be just like martial arts sometimes, and also just if not more useful :wink:

That being said. I have an odd fascination with combat, and I'd like to think I'm completely 100% capable of defending myself, I haven't ever been in a brawl yet, but I'm confident in my own abilities. I've always learned throughout my life, and with the fascinations of combat, it was no exception. I'm not formally trained in martial arts, but I did develop my own style. Through extensive studying of the pressure points on the human body, grabs, movement styles, Judo, and some other general combat maneuvers/styles. I developed my own personal style that I think works VERY effectively (pressure points in particular I love, no matter how big, strong, or brawny your enemy is, one grab, hold, or strike can send people reeling or hurt considerably). I've "sparred" I guess you could call it a few times when I was younger, but mostly the only person who would actually fight me is my brother, and that stopped forever ago before I actually developed this... OR at least developed enough sense and thinking to use it effectively :lol: . Everyone else I knew seemed to be kind of cautious about sparring with me, and only one of them was actually cautious about touching/hitting in general (AKA, a flincher). I mean, I couldn't have been that scary!

But anyway, so yeah. I'm pretty confident in my own martial ability, even though I haven't been in a fight and am not formally trained. But I developed my own fighting style :slight_smile: ... Which... Oddly enough turned out to basically be a martial art called Hapkido in nearly every way when I discovered the art about 3 months ago.

19. I'm pretty confident in my ability to defend myself, having trained in martial arts for ten years now.

20. Northern

In all honesty I am a scrawny little twig of a guy, so if someone wanted to attack me my initial reaction would probably be to try and run. Yeah a little bit cowardly, but I know I can't do that much damage. So chances are I would probably have to get creative to find a way out of it, maybe I should carry pepper spray or something...