1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today i got braces!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rena, Aug 22, 2013.

1. rena

Its long over due, i got braces this morning, so did my twin...in so much pain i guess its all worth it in the end, im a bit worried because im 17 so im a bit old considering most people have already had them by now.
    iv heard all the horror stories even by the orthodontist herself who told me how much it would hurt if the bands snapped, so dose anyone have any happy stories or anything positive to say?

2. yogurt

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Honestly when I had it, there was nothing good.
    But after you take it off, it's like heaven. :grin:

3. Fiddledeedee

You poor thing. Still, it is worth it!

I take it you've got train tracks? If so, then don't believe what is said about it hurting if the bands snap. I guess technically it could, but they're pretty tiny. It also doesn't hurt if you break the actual wire, though you do then have to be careful to keep it in place so that it doesn't poke you whilst you're waiting for it to be replaced. (I broke the front and center part of my wire whilst in America, and had to visit a strange orthodontist because we wouldn't be back home for a couple of weeks. Try not to do that.)

4. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    At least you got them on now a days. I had mine on for a year and a half, where as it would've been 4 years if i waited.

braces hurt only when they get tightened. When they gave me mine, half my brackets werent put on right, so i lost a lot of brackets. I had rubber bands, bite guards, everything. So i can tell you i have never felt pain from anything braking or coming loos. Make sure, though that you get wax and some kind of anesthetic. Oral-B makes this stuff that will numb your mouth. You will need that so that where the wires poke it wont hurt while you build up calluses (spelling?).

Anyways, it is worth it in the end, just stick to it (and everyone chews gum with braces, dont worry about it).

5. rena

Thanks guys, that really has put my mind at ease, ill defiantly be looking for the Oral-B products thanks "qwr42"

6. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^no problem glad i couldd help.
    However if you get it in an open or rough cut in your mouth it will sting for 1 or 2 seconds, but then it will numb it down. Just an FYI

7. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Heaven...until you need them again so you can fix the impacted wisdom teeth that you had to have dental surgery to remove impacted molars to let the wisdom teeth take their place. I only have it on my bottom jaw this time around but still...

Plus I got a wire change today but thankfully no power bands. Those things cause so much soreness in my jaw.

8. Stripe101

[​IMG]

I have a retainer now...

Have fun.
    Haha Hahaha. Hahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

9. biggayguy

You're not too old. I got braces in my twenties. They were on for three years. They were a pain every month but worth it in the end.

10. Exstatic

I got mine 3 years ago when i was 25. Now, I'm just wearing a retainers. It feels better after all the hussle and pain.

It's just like "No Pain, No Gain"

11. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had braces for 3 years when I was a teenager. Pain? not really...but then I have a high threshold for pain.

I would call it more uncomfortable and an inconvenience. When they are tightened it is a bloody pain in the bum. Cleaning your teeth properly is a bloody pain in the bum. Seeing the dentist/orthodontists every 2-6 weeks is a bloody pain in the bum.

Other than that it was all fine and dandy :slight_smile:

12. AmiBee

I just got my braces adjusted today. They only hurt for a few days after you first get them on. Then, with each adjustment, there is some discomfort, but not too bad. Don't worry about 17 being too old for braces. I am 42 and have them. Just think about how good you'll look once they're off.

Oh, the one thing that is really annoying is all of the food that gets stuck in them. It's like an entire second meal. Just expect to spend extra time cleaning your teeth.

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was gonna say they're not too bad until I saw ^that post.

Otherwise... They're not too bad. I just remember not being able to eat popcorn or yummy things like Mike and Ikes.

And they get quite annoying. But it's great when they're off :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Amerigo

braces are so cute. i need them soon!

15. Mariall

Oh gosh I did so bad with them. Broke 8 brackets, slit my tongue on the wire, wire popped out, snapped a bunch of rubber bands, then came retainers and somehow I managed to break 2 pairs of those. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So, you'll do great if you don't do what I did. XD Definitely use tooth pickers because it gets pretty nasty when you eat. But yeah it really only hurts a bit when they're first put on and when they get tightened. Other than that it's just weird.

16. Bowtiesandstuff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've had them for around 6 months now. It hurts for a few days when you get them I remember I couldn't even eat bread... Getting them tightened doesn't hurt at all (or maybe that's just me) I actually like getting them tightened because the wires a pulled in a little and it feels like they aren't as big, you'll understand when you get them tightened.

17. nrazor

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got my braces at the tender age of 19. As long as you are careful and keep them clean.
    Everything will be fine. By the way, I find braces to be kinda sexy.

18. Ohhai

I had braces fr 3 years! I miss them. They only hurt for a while after being put on and when tightened (for a while = up to a week), after that, it's fine. I used to love choosing the colours :grin:

19. eatsleepclimb

I have them now, and I just had to go today to the orthodontist because the wire popped out :/ that's really the only annoying thing, besides the large amount of appointments! It's not too bad, not as bad as I thought it would be :slight_smile:

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard they are a royal pain from everyone who's had them, but I secretly think they are adorable. <3 And once you get them off, your straight teeth will be beautiful.