1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best age to move out

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Alexander69

Ok so I'm so sick of my parents my family. I just need to move out like live in my own. But I'm 18 still. I feel like that's to young, I know my parents will say no also. I'm my family my parents but my first house that I choose. I've always expected to find my house when I run 20 then move out. But reality is sinking in now. I mean when you are younger you don't think about property tax utilities (Internet, phone, hydro, electric) I mean none of that ever accrued to me, and suddenly it hit me. If I move out and choose the house I want my parents will by it but I need to make money to keep living there........ I never thought of this I was in dream land, I mean the bonus is I won't have a mortgage like most new home buyers today to pay off but still the responsibilities that come with living on your own...... I would have to pay my own car insurance, gas, maintenance. Like its all so much to handle.

I know my parents wouldn't leave me to hang but the whole thought of this is stressful. I mean the home I would want would be minimum of 5,000 sqft at the lowest becuase I would like that to be my only home, I don't want to be like my parents and have many homes I just want one ONE home to call my own but the thought of maintaining a home that's a bigger than average size on my OWN idk how I would handle that. I thought of a smaller home maybe 3,000 sqft but I'm scared It will feel to small I've always lived in huge homes and I don't want to lose the lifestyle I've become accustomed to and I guess taht another big fear I have as well.

I mean I hope my father and mother will do what my fathers parents did when they bought him his house and gave him quite alot of money when he moved out, I'm hoping HOPING when I move out they will at least give me a million to do what I please with at the minimum.

This is so stressful :frowning2: I have enough stress why can't life be easier UGH I wish I was a woman sometimes like my mom never have to WORK I don't ever want to have to work. Life is stressful.

So ya back to topic I guess.... What do you think a good age to love out at is?

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Age is just a number. A person should move out when they're genuinely ready for it. I'd say the best age to move out is when you start university; the beginning of independent life should start there. For people who don't go to university, I don't know. I've never really considered it.

3. KazTastic

The best age to move out is when you can look after yourself and pay your bills. It could be 18, it could be 40.

4. leer

you move out when you feel ready to. I moved out when I was 18 but not to my own place it was shared accommodation I was happy with that had my own independence helped with the bills exc I got a little help from mum&dad with money but I made sure I paid them back. not everyone get's so much help from there parents .

5. timo

I moved out at 19, best thing I ever did. It drained my (already empty) bank account, but I learnt to be independent and to look after myself, and as a bonus the relation with my parents got a lot better after I got a place of my own.

And don't worry about the size of your house that much. My apartment is only 430 sqft and it's big enough for someone alone :slight_smile: Well I must admit it's a bit on the small side, but it's affordable. Though I can see you would want something bigger if you're used to it.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just for the record... I think we've been over this before... 3000 square feet is not a small house, and 5000 feet is ridiculous for one person. Many people live in houses of 1200sqft or less, and a house of 2000 or 2500 square feet is considered pretty average by most poeple for a family of 4.

If you get a nice 1500 or 2000 sqft house, then the upkeep costs, taxes, cost to heat and cool, and everything else will be way, way less, and you'll need to make a lot less money to maintain it. And that's still plenty big for you, even if you find Mr. Right and he moves in with you. It might feel a little small at first but I think if you get used to it, you'll find it a whole lot more "homey" than the obscenely large houses you've grown up in.

And as far as who chooses it... it will be YOUR house, so YOU should be the one to choose it, as big or small or fancy or plain as you want, where you want. I mean, if they're buying it and giving it to you then I guess they could choose it, but if they genuinely want you to be happy they ought to want to buy you the house *you* want, not the house your pretentious mother wants you to have.

7. Pocky

Am I missing something? Is the OP's parents billionaires?

Judging by the post I am going to say no, Alexander. You don't seem mature enough yet to live on your own.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This thread has quite a bit of condescending triviality. You can obviously live quite comfortably, and have no reason to worry.

I would say that you're far too immature to live independently at the moment. And almost certainly too sheltered. I think you'll have to do it in small steps, with a little more independence with each time, until you're capable of living on your own means.

9. Pat

Pat

Lol. Yeah, this really varies a lot. I say at 21.. it hits a boiling point staying at home. Because you're grown and you're not really up for the rules anymore or the chores.. you really want to be independent. Now, whether or not that's the time you leave is another thing..and it just depends on how cool your parents are about it. I'm still home out of necessity, and even when I'm gone (hope to god it's early next year) my mom's single and I really don't know how I feel about leaving her or being on my own! BUT.....with that being said, we don't really get along anymore. The time you leave is when you're financially stable. It's a lot worse when you leave...and then have to come back. That's the worst. So if they're ok with you staying, you have to stay until you can, not only be able to pay your bills, but be able to do it with some level of consistency. Here in the US, the economy is terrible and our colleges have turned 4 year degrees into 6 year ones.. jobs are scarce, it's really difficult to fly even though we want to soooo bad. So while you can go out and find your own... you're going to struggle. And why go through bad experiences when there's family there to help set you up for only good? That's why I stay at this point. I don't want to have to come back. And if you have parents who are fortunate enough financially to help you OUTSIDE of their home, whether it be sending you to a campus or actually getting you a place to live in, I say that's awesome. And I would accept that offer because that way, we're able to get the independence we want, and still have the assistance we need until we're on our feet. When I was 18, I was literally packed and ready to move for college, but she talked me out of it, and it was really not the best move. At that point, I knew I was gay and I wanted to have the "College experience" and just be open to do whatever I wanted, so I know where you're coming from. And it's very wise of you to acknowledge that it's not going to be easy. You may have to stick it out :/

#9 Pat, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  10. Stripe101

My sister still lives with us and she's in her early 20s. But she's going to school so it's not like she isn't doing anything. She just can't afford to live on her own until she gets out of college.

11. Night

Night Guest

Whenever you can take of yourself, really. I moved out when I was 18 and survived just fine, but I was ready to move out at 16 because that's just my personality.

Also, what are you going to be doing for income? As you said, your house will be paid for, but how will you be paying for everything that comes with it? For a house that's 3000 sq ft, you're going to have a lot more to pay for as far as hydro.

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A. 5,000 Sq. feet is a huge house for one person. The taxes, heating, and upkeep will cost a small fortune.

B. You should probably look at going to college, or get some kind of training, because you’ll have to have to have some kind of job to pay for all this on an ongoing basis…not to mention food, clothing, a car, and other expenses. Even $1 million could disappear much faster than you think, especially if you fancy dressing in Burberry, Gucci and Prada.

C. Despite seemingly to have grown up in a house the size of Buckingham Palace, and being used to such amenities, you might want to take a look at how other people live, and make do with less, but still find ways to be happy.

Is it helpful to believe you MUST have a 5,000 Sq. ft. house in order to be happy? I don’t mean this to be negative, but to have you start to challenge some of these beliefs that appear to be making you unhappy. You’ve got the means to look into a career that you might find very enjoyable. Why not look into something like design/fashion? You seem to have an interest in that. Life, after a point, becomes boring when we don’t have some meaningful thing to devote ourselves to doing, whether it be work, writing, or creating something.

D. In conclusion: I think it would be wise to go away to a 4 year University, and get a degree. Meet other people, live away, perhaps in another Provence/State/Country. Get some perspective on the world, and a degree. Even if you aren't in a position to use the degree, I think college will help you feel better about living on your own, and navigating the decisions you’ll be faced with later in life. Plus, it’s a great place to meet a boyfriend.

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't believe nobody has said this before, but I've had people all around me move out of the house because it was necessary. Soon, that will apply to me. And I mean VERY soon. I've actually applied to several places for housing, most of them student housing. I have a cousin that had to move out when she was 16 because she hooked up with the most irresponsible person on the planet and had a baby. I know people in the military and because of that, they had to move out. Granted they were around 18 when that happened, but they still had to move out.

On the other hand, I have friends who are in their 20's and still live with their parents. Yes, they're planning on moving out within the year but they still haven't moved.

So it's not always because they felt like they were ready to move. There are lots of times when people need to move out because they got a job and they don't want to pay through the nose for gas or whatever.

14. Californiacoast

So many parts of this post I want to comment on, but let's start with:

1. Why do you want to move out?

2. What do you want to do with your life?

I moved out at 18. Wasn't sure what University to go to so I was a Cowboy on a ranch in Colorado for a year. Hard work. Loved it. Then went to college.

Guaranteed this: you won't be happy without hard work. You won't be happy just because your parents give you a big house and money. Trust me.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best age to move out is when there is a negligible chance of moving back in, broke and defeated by the world. :wink: Usually that means the ability to pay the bills and handle daily issues on your own.

16. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im moving out when i am 17, i have plenty of money to start college or even take a year off if i need too.

That being said, do what you need, but dont let age stand in the way of any of your decisions (unless you are dating and there is an illegal gap).

17. Alexander69

My family are not billionaires multi millionaires yes, I want to move out because I feel like I live on my own 99% of the time anyways and also then I would have my own house for me and my future boy friend. And yes I know 3,000 sqft is still a bit big to others but to me the thought of having a home smaller than that scares me not "scares" but I'm nervous it will feel to small in time. 99% of the time I would like a minimum of 6,000 sqft home but then I think well for me 1 person? That's too much to handle for one person with no help cleaning.

I don't want a family just me and my future BF...... I think I am still way to immature. Ugh I'm just terrified because I'm not smart that I won't have a good career, I'm scared when I come out ill be disinherited and be left with nothing which I've based my life so far around...... I can't imagine my brother getting everything homes money IT PISSES ME off. The house my parents bought in Australia is nice I should move to the Gold Coast paradise waters or ask for the house there.

Although I don't know where Australia is with LGBT rights? But find a hunky surfer WOO WOO.

18. kem

kem

Once you're able to take care of a house and yourself (and others, potentially), you're ready. I've been mentally ready to move out for a year but I have no income so I'm stuck here.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll probably get judged for this. I moved out at about 25. After college, I penciled out if I could save any money (no) and had student loans, which I chipped into. After that, I made more money and was able to move out, and move I did - across the country. And I did ok on my own. It was a real boost to my self confidence.

After college and up to 25, I was always gone (work, the gym, visiting friends, going places) that I seldom had reason to scrape with my parents.

20. starfish

Do you really want a huge house out in the suburbs, or are you just wanting the status symbol of having a huge house?

I would think being young single person, a small condo in the city would be much more enjoyable.

You have said several times that you do not enjoy the control your parents have over you. Just a couple of posts up you are worried about them disinheriting you. If you don't have a good job, there is now way you are going to be able to afford to maintain a big 3000+ sqft house.

You mention you don't have any career prospects. I'd work on that before buying a house. You are 18, so you should be finished or finishing high school soon. Are you planning to continue your education?