1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does money buy happiness?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Aug 23, 2013.

?

Does money buy happiness?

1. Yes it does buy me a mansion and cars and clothes! Sign me up

19 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. No it doesn't, money buys objects and instant gratification.

44 vote(s)
    69.8%
  1. Alexander69

Do you think money buys happiness? I just want to see what people think. My opinion from first hand experience is no, no it doesn't if anything it makes you feel lonelier and more unhappy I guess it depends on the persons situation I know other people who are extremely satisfied with their lives an buying anything with no after thoughts.

I think people relate money to happiness becuase they see people buying things and at that moment they are happy but how long will taht last untill they need to but another thing to make them happy for that moment? I also think people with less money who dream about buying things are confused with the gratification of buying something and being truly happy.

I don't think I've ever experienced real pure true happiness I think I've experienced alot of gratification but not happens per say I mean if I had happiness well I wouldn't be sad and lonely.

I would trade my life anyday for a person who was close with their family, a person who's family was accepting and understanding a person who loved WHO they were and doesn't want to change themself for others, a person with confedince a person who eats dinner with their family every night at a dinning room table, a person who sleeps at the same house everyday.

Money doesn't buy happiness money is just an object an object which people put on a pedestal people make it better than it is. I hear people go "if I won the lottery is be so happy" no no you wouldn't maybe life would be easier but it won't make you happy.

I really don't have any memories of ring truly happy growing up or now. Isn't that sad? No matter how hard I try I can't remember experiencing pure happiness. I mean ok happy when my parents surprise me with things but that gratification only lasts so long.

I just want to be happy, I don't want to eat diners alone, I want a guy who will love me be there for me EVERY night and every day I want a guy that makes me feel good about me a guy who doesn't want to change me. I want parents who are home every night to eat dinner and talk to me, I want parents who care about how I feel ME how I feel! I want parents who wouldn't care if I was gay would accept me and my future boy friend.

But for me that's a dream, like for other who's dreams are money and winning big...... Oh how we have different mind sets. We always want what we don't have. People probably think I'm full of shit sitting here writing this oh how bad my life is I get what ever I want poor me poor me..... I'm not saying I'm not blessed to have these things I'm just saying things are "things" they are just materials that's it. Money can't buy you true love it can buy love but it's not true love and it's not real.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to go against the general grain of (expressed) opinion and say that it can. When you're in poverty, you're never going to enjoy anything properly. I think there's a point where, once money isn't dragging you into miseries, that it can no longer be responsible for your happiness. But debt and plain poverty do deprive people of happiness. Money is incredibly important, and that can't be denied.

3. Alexander69

I totally see what you are saying but I think in either circumstances (both extremes, wealth, poverty) I think both outcomes may turn out the same. I know it may seem absurd to say money doesn't buy you happiness but I think it also depends where your morals lie. For me coming from a very wealthy family and a distant family with that I always wanted a close family so much a family that was there for each other. While my mother (ill be honest) she only cares about money and for her it does buy her happiness. Well.... Maybe she confuses instant gratification with happiness....? Maybe idk.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand that attitude, but even a very close family needs money to remain truly close. The massive happiness at Christmas that is usually the height of western family interaction isn't going to be possible if everyone's poor. These are basically two different axes of happiness; one of the healthiness of relationships within social constructs, and the other of basic human needs.

5. Wells

Wells Guest

I completely agree with you there

6. ErinB

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lots of things make a person happy, and "things money can't buy" don't have a monopoly on human happiness.

Even when you are with someone you love and blah blah blah, you still have the potential to be MORE happy, with the help of money. I'd rather be going out and doing exciting things all over the place with that person. Going out for dinner, going to theme parks, baking delicious food, going swimming, going on holidays, dressing up nicely for each other, etc etc.

Doing all that stuff with the person you love is much better than sitting in a one bedroom flat with the person you love, sleeping on a line of cusions on the floor because you can't afford a matress, catching the mouldy drips of water coming down from the decaying ceiling which is now thin enough that you can hear the people upstairs arguing, fucking, crying, etc. I'd rather not come home from work stressed out of my mind and not in the mood to spend nice time with anyone becase I'm so scared about being able to pay the electricity bill next month.

You could say that money can't buy the pinnacle of human happiness on it's own, but neither can love.

7. timo

Yes and no.

Money can buy you short-time happiness ("I love my new jeans!") but in the long term, friends, family, love, hobbies and interests are so much more important.

Unfortunately I feel like we live in a society where people go for short term. Add a lot of small purchases for "instant happiness" and, hello consumerism.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most experts in this area will tell you that money satisfies needs, and hence makes you happier, but beyond that, little happiness.

But the line between need, and greed, is rather...flexible. :rolle:

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Once you get past the basics of shelter, safety, and food... money won't buy happiness.

In fact, I was just talking with a friend tonight about when I was doing some work at a Mexican hospital. The staff members that did the cleaning, maintenance, and groundskeeping got paid somewhere around $40 a week (for working 5 or 6 days a week, 8 or 9 hours a day) and most of them lived in (literally) large cardboard boxes on the side of a hill... a small city of just cardboard boxes that had held refrigerators and the like. But these people were always smiling, singing, whistling... truly enjoyed their jobs, had beautiful children, and were some of the genuinely happiest and kindest people I've ever met.

And I remember thinking to myself... if these people can be genuinely happy in the circumstances they are living in... who am I to complain about anything?

10. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

They've done studies on this. Yes, if you're living in poverty, money can buy happiness, because not worrying about where your next meal will come from or how you're going to keep your roof from caving in will make you happier. And being able to go on vacations or go to concerns or travel and see other parts of the world and expand your world view probably will make you happier.

But there's a limit (I think it was found to be $80,000 a year). Beyond that limit, having more money won't make you happier.

Well put. :slight_smile:

11. Pocky

I think it's subjective.

If you grew up working class and worked hard to become wealthy, then I think you would be certainly happier for the wealth.

However, if the trappings of being wealthy have been the norm your whole life then I don't think that wealth has any bearing on happiness. If you have always traveled overseas for exotic holidays and lived in luxurious homes, then where do you go from there?

In both cases, personal relationships also play a massive part. If you're wealthy and lonely then it's unlikely you would experience happiness.

12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, but it can buy you bacon, and that's close enough. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But to be serious, I think if you were in poverty level before I think money can buy you happiness, but for the most part I don't think it can but long-term happiness.

13. Night

Night Guest

I think it can sustain happiness, though maybe not get you more if that makes sense.

I was raised in a very wealthy family, though we lived a middle class life - my fathers choice, really. It was very minor things that my family would get or do that would show we had at least a little more money than expected, but luckily I wasn't raised to have anything and everything I wanted (partially because I didn't ever want anything). In that way, money sustained our happiness as a family because we could do and buy certain things and just add it to our lives without it being just a short-term sort of thing. We never did/bought anything to increase our happiness, rather we did it to just build on the happiness we already had and prolong it.

Does that make sense?

14. LiquidSwords

There's definite correlation between money and happiness but only up to a point. Once you've got enough money to live comfortably, more money is unlikely to make you significantly happier.

Relationships with friends and family are what make me happy more than anything.

15. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Money can't BUY happiness, no. But it can certainly RENT it for awhile.

16. DanD

Money cannot buy happiness, however, with more money I, for example, could buy a drum kit and a car and actually get into a band again and do gigs. I could 'have a life' for a change, instead of feeling lonely in my flat.
    So, it can't buy friends or anything, but it can make certain situations people are in so much better.

17. Nick07

Money contributes to happiness. Just like many other things.

18. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're dead for a real long time
    You just can't prevent it
    So if money can't buy happiness
    I guess I'll have to rent it.

- Weird Al Yankovic, "This Is the Life"

I've been both well-off, and hovering at the poverty line. And I've been happy in both places. But if I get to choose, I'll pick being well-off. :slight_smile:

Lex

19. Stripe101

Well if money can't buy it, you'll have to rent it.

20. Northern

I say yes.

While no you cannot buy love, however maybe you go take a trip to a new country, and alas fall in love with someone. Or you go out more often so you have a higher chance of meeting someone. No you cannot buy happiness, but if there is something you like to do, like travel for example. Money can help you travel and do what you love. It cannot buy happiness, but if can buy a way to it.