1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sorkadubane, May 19, 2008.

1. Sorkadubane

i just typed this and don't really have anywhere to post it except here and my myspace...but I'll only post it here, in hope of a better reception...

There are so many ways that people die every day...every minute. It's horrible...it's scary...you don't know if you're next. You don't know that something inside you could be killing you as you sit in front of your computer and type out some bullshit because there's so much crap on your fucked-up depressed mind.

There are many escapes from an overwhelmingly powerful sense of sadness and emptiness...like the buds from a certain plant, which I have run out of for now, or my mothers prescription pills which don't seem to work like they used to, but they can't get your far enough from the impending doom that looms over us even when we are too blissfully ignorant to notice that it shadows our insignificant lives at all times.

When it gets to the point where you can see no light at the end of the dark, painful, and empty passageway you have found yourself, then where do you go? I could sit here with my face in and arms and wait for that comforting sense that it will be over soon, but this emptiness makes that seem like an impossibility.

Chemical imbalance...Cancerophobia...I want to die but I want to live. I can never really get what I fucking want. I have nothing to look forward to. No one understands because their focus is on their immediate lives. Though, I'm sure there are people that feel as I do.

I will wake up tomorrow morning and go to work as I normally do, but I'm not sure how I will feel then. Right now, I cannot comprehend how I, or anyone else could be at all happy or motivated, but it will happen. My mind is closed off to everything but a feeling of worthlessness and waste about myself, right now. Tomorrow I might be the happiest and motivated person in the world, again, but it will come back to this feeling later.

I want to know if anyone else here feels like this ever, and how you deal with it (without drugs, if applicable).

Consistency is all I ask! Immortality is all I seek...(&&&)

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm there right now.

For the last 13 years, my mortality, and that of those around me, was something I accepted. I wasn't thrilled with the idea that some of my friends would be dead before me, but I was aware of that possibility/inevitability, and accepted it.

Now, much of the time, it scares the hell out of me.

Why? Because I'm depressed. Because I've got a chemical imbalance.

It's so strange, too. I keep thinking that my point of view NOW is the correct one. That it's normal to be paralyzed with fear at the thought of death, and that everybody else in the world is wrong. That I was deluded for over a decade, and I'll be feeling this way for the rest of my life.

Why? Because I'm depressed. Because I've got a chemical imbalance.

Because my brain's a bit out of whack, it's giving me bad information. The same way you might see a nickel on the floor and think it's a bug. My brain is interpreting information wrong. Which sucks big time, because I depend on the brain for all my information. It's hard to use logic to override it. But I must. Because it's wrong.

I wasn't deluded for the last 13 years. I was healthy. I was normal. I didn't avoid thinking of death - I just didn't let the thought consume me. I didn't let it keep me from living a fun, full, active life.

I had 13 straight amazing years. The happiest, best years of my life. And call me greedy, but I want more. :slight_smile: So I'm gonna lick this thing.

I went through a depression once before. In 1994. I was 24. It was a bit different. My thoughts were less obsessed with death and more with "my life". What was I going to do with my life? What career path should I take? What should I do for a living? And why did it matter, since I'd probably hate my job, never be happy, and I'd die anyway? The thoughts may have been different, but the symptoms were precisely the same. The same cold feeling inside, the feeling of disconnection, the obsession with negative thoughts.

Back then, I didn't have health insurance. So it was tough. I had to struggle through without medical help. It was agony. My friends and family were stellar. They rallied around, helped me through the worst of it. I learned some coping techniques to get me through the toughest times. And eventually, finally, I got to the other side. It was at least six months to a year before I really felt I was completely over it, but I spent much of the last part of that on top of things.

This time, I have health insurance. So I had a doctor check me out, we discussed various treatment options, and we decided I was probably a good case for anti-depressants. I got put on a mild one - Wellbutrin, I think it's called. It's got a few side effects. For the first couple of days, I felt a bit like I was on cough syrup. My jaw occasionally got "clenchy". And I got a bit of tinnitus (ringing) in my right ear a couple times. But I'm past the side effects stage now.

This isn't a "happy pill". I don't zone out on it. I'm not a zombie. It just makes it easier to push the negative thoughts away for awhile. I can think of positive things again. For awhile, I had to try to not think about death at all. I liken it to spraining your ankle. For some time, you can't put any weight on it - you have to let it heal. My brain was the same way. It couldn't handle thoughts of death for awhile, so I purposely avoided the topic for a bit. Now, I can handle discussing it again. I'm still not crazy about it - I feel the depression hovering nearby when I do - but I can at least discuss it somewhat.

I've also relearned my "coping techniques" - the things that got me through the tough times. There are some basic ones that tend to work - stay social, stay busy, get creative, shake things up. So feel free to try them out. But I'd urge you to see a doctor. There's nothing wrong with taking medicine when you're sick, and I most certainly was (and am) sick. And the pills are helping quite a bit. I'm not all better by any stretch, but I think I'm on the mend.

Lex

3. InaRut

I can tell you what I think about death. Basically my philosophy on this is kinda wierd but I just think you die when it's your time to die. You know? I can't really back this up with some kinda poetic stance that would make you go, "Wow Inarut is so right." But when it comes to life and death these are two cycles of the universe that you just sorta have to accept. Really it's along the same lines of, "Live every day as your last." Which I tend not to do, but I try? Sorta?

^ Now about depression. I wouldn't call myself depresed/mildly-sad or what not. Partly because I won't let myself gain that title. But yea it's a nasty thing. However the thing about depression I think is that when you face it in it's dark red eyes your not going to feel better. It's just going to make you worse. Generally, once a person has been labelled as depressed that word floats around that person and is a major downer. So it's good to vent your thoughts...because you wouldn't want your brain to explode but also don't let the idea of "depression" ruin your life.

I don't think this could be the best advice I have given. So take what you can with a grain of salt. And if I have offended you I'm sorry, maybe I just don't understand depression enough.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>sorry, maybe I just don't understand depression enough.

Bingo.

There's this weird self-perpetrating stigma about depression. People think they can't tell anybody about it, because they'll be shunned or some such. So they try to hide their symptoms and soldier on by themselves...even though depression is one of the few ailments that actually is helped immeasureably by social interaction. Talking to people - not about the depression, necessarily, or even what we're depressed about, but ANYTHING - helps. A LOT. It keeps our brains from spinning its wheels in those ruts that we've been digging.

I took a somewhat surprising tactic, both back in '94 and even more so now. I didn't hide it. I told everybody. Not in a huge announcement way. And I didn't go into graphic detail. But I said, "I've been having a tough time mentally and emotionally as of late. I've talked to my doctor, I was put on some medication, and it seems to be helping. But there's some times I'm gonna be a bit broody." To my family and friends, I've added, "There are times I'll need to just talk to someone. Not about anything in particular, but just to talk." All of them said the same thing - "Let me know - I'll be happy to talk with you." They've been amazing.

And I've had absolutely no negative repercussions from this. Yes, my mother's a bit overly concerned. "Are you OK today?" But I appreciate the concern. I feel a lot better knowing I can focus on getting past this, without having to try to hide things from them, or put up a false front.

Lex

5. Sorkadubane

Well first of all id like to say im kinda apoligitic about bringing up the subject of death and depression and yes alot of people are in there own little worlds and they dont worry or ponder on these kind of things at all. me for one,,and yes i know everyone had there own sob story and here im gonna tell u mine....heres the real DANNIe: in 93' my uncle molested me, thats when i became a lesbian i hated men from then out, and my mom as well. she hasnet had a man since that year either. and in 99' in school i was always the 'dyke' so yeah u can tell how hard that was enough to make anyone 'craxzy' in highschool i had my first real girlfriend...i was made a freak, u know peope haver always tried to make me feel inferior and make me feel like an outsider because of my choice of lovers. as most of us im sure will find out. the world isnt a big icecream cake that you are make to enjoy and shit its here to make us learn from our decisions thats the ultimate plot i have come 2 find out.l i dont hate the world i love it. two weeks ago mom had a heart attack and since then has been bed ridden, and im inbethany missouri where ]IT IS WRONG TO BE A LESBIAN and im fucking sorry but damnet im not gonna change who i am, im scared half the time moms house is gonna catch fire and im gonna burn to death but fuck it right? i wont change or be somone else for NO ONE. im depressed yes and EVERYONE gets that way from time to time reguardless of who you are. i finised highschool and for some thats hard these days and reall i went to college for two years so far for the digital arts, i may be sick in the head and i take geoden,xyprexa, and shit for my bipolar ness and i will get sad and i will hurt bad, my heart wil hurt but it will pass like i know it always will. shit happens. im not gonna kill myself tho the thought has crossed my mind a time or two. but what im trying to say is yes im sad, yes im sick and yes i love my fucking life tho it makes me wanna cry and take myown life sometiems. HALLEAUGHA(ms) Dannie(&&&)

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All I can offer you is positive vibes. Hope you get on top of this. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. Jeimuzu

I was like that. With me, I was bored. So, I filled my diary, so to speak. Now I'm stressed, and death doesn't really scare me anymore.

8. xxAngelOnFirexx

Well I was molested my a girl when I was 4 and i think it may be why i'm gay. so maybe we're just gay naturally? I've been depressed for like 5yrs. i've been in therapy since i was 8 and have been on meds since. they never help to the full. i'm on way more meds than you too. for bipolar, schizophrenia, whatever they label me at the moment. every phychiatrist has given my disorder a new name. i can really relate to you. I just don't know what to do so i starve myself and purge after eating every now and then. It helps for a minute then the sick of my selfness comes and then evantually i calm down and do it again. today i only at 350 calories yet i feel like a complete failure for eating at all. we all have our little dangerous thing we do to cope. Just try to get by and each day will get better. and days will get worse. but thats life and we just have to live it out. I'm attempted suicide like over 20x. i can't count. and i'm still :***: alive. it sux but we're here for a reason and no matter how much you pray at night not to wake up, we still do. so yeah... you can talk to me anytime!(*hug*)

9. Sorkadubane

U know ive heard god wont put us through more than we can handle but i dont know....i feel like every one and everything is agnest me all the time really all but my girl...shes the only one who keep s me half ass sane. i can relate to you seems we have alot of similarities and would be cool to talk. its just been one of those days where i feel simply helpless. and I HATE THAT. btu yeah.... ive been labeled many things and frankly i think everyone is nuts because to live in this screwed up world you have to be somekinda crazy sometimes. thanks all u guys for the talk i needed it (&&&)