1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling "different" when you were a kid

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ItalianBlueEyes, Aug 23, 2013.

1. ItalianBlueEyes

Is this the right section to post this under? feel free to move the thread, if it isn't!

Even before I realized I was gay, I was aware of being somehow different, on some molecular level, from the other kids.. I'm talking as early as elementary school, here.
    Nothing melodramatic, but never feeling like I quite fit in, or ever really fit the social norms.

Of course, I dealt by insisting that I was "half cat. My tail comes out at night! Really!":rolle:
    Later on, when I realized I was a lesbian, it was somewhat of a relief.

Just me? Or did anyone else ever feel like that, before they started questioning their sexuality?

2. RoguesWolfe

I was the same way. I could never fit in, and it actually took my mom outing me..to well myself that things kinda clicked. She told me that from the age of 4-5 and up she knew I was gay, just by how I acted, how I interacted with the others kids and everything.

3. FloatingPiano

Yeah, I always felt a little off. I could never really pin point what it was though. I never really showed an interest in boys.

And to the OP that said they pretended to be half cat, I pretended to be half wolf in early elementary school. XD Yay for over-active imaginations??

4. blueberrymuffin

I started getting teased around age 6-7, but i don't think any of us thought of it in terms of sexuality, which was a taboo subject we were ignorant of. It was just one of those things that, when i realized my sexuality, on reflection it all made sense. This is one reason i can't stand homophobes. They are basically attacking 6-7 year olds.

5. iHateThinking

Once I hit around 6th grade it became apparent. I guess you could say it had to do with my sexuality, when everyone was talking about "hot" boys I was like "What are you talking about I don't get it. Are you in some special club that I'm not a part of because I don't get why you think these guys are hot?"

The crushes on my lady friends in grammar school kind of gave it away.

I guess my family is pretty aware of my more "gender-neutral/masculine" dress and behavior, knowing me I probably wouldnt've noticed or cared.

I still feel alienated from my some of my peers, but high school has provided an excellent opportunity to meet with people who actually don't give a darn, so chances are you'll find a circle of people you'll slide right into. :slight_smile:

6. ItalianBlueEyes

^^ :lol: oh my gosh I wasn't the only one with bi-species tendencies! I suddenly feel so much better about my second grade self.

:slight_smile: Yay for high school...it really does get better. That's what I love about GSA. Everyone's their own special genre of different. The more colorful, the better! (&&&)

Just wish I could have explained it all to the little girl who couldn't understand why no one else had a crush on Kimpossible.

7. blond

When i was kid maybe 5 or 6 i told my parent's i was a arctic fox. I just thought they were the coolest animal!

Back to the OP's question yeah i felt like i was different when i was kid. I didn't really know why i had such hard time fitting in. I just couldn't relate to other boy's my age.

8. Holly

I never felt this very early on, like 'all my life'. It only really occurred when I knew my view on women was 'odd' and 'different', which was around 13. That was before I really ever looked into my sexuality as in gay/bisexual, I had never made the link between my feelings and my sexuality.

9. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was always the different guy. Teachers liked me, even the principal and the school's "owners", I never caused any trouble, and as opposed to most students in my class, I was never into rugby. I had to play anyway. It was mandatory, but I hated it.

Then comes my fervent "anglicism", and proficiency with the English language. I could speak and pronounce better than anyone in my class, even teachers in some cases.

That rendered me 'different', and therefore, target of bullying and taking the piss from some guttercunts. I am VERY glad I never came out to anyone in that blasted school.

#9 Falklands Sheep, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  10. Pixiechic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I had a friend when I was around 8-10 who was a girl and we would hug all the time and cuddle but my sister would think it was oddish. Which made me feel bad and like I wasn't 'normal' I knew I wasn't. I had no clue I liked girls like 'that' as a child it would be odd to know I think but I did know I was different.

11. Me too! I pretended to be a wolf and would howl, growl, and sniff at my classmates.

To answer the question: Yes, I was different. (^ Exhibit A)

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well besides my height, Bracegirdle and I share our knowledge of how to properly use the English language at an early age. But thankfully, I wasn't made fun of for it. Instead, I was pretty much the spelling guru and always had people go "Derp, how do you spell this?"

I also had more female friends than any other guys would dare to have. Aaaaaand I didn't care whether or not something was a 'boy' thing or a 'girl' thing... And I never got the "cooties" game. Even in Kindergarten, I thought it was immature.

And I never owned an Xbox or playstation because my mom's still strongly against video games.

I also never got the whole "King of the hill" thing. Not the show or the game, but the mentality that all my friends seemed to have throughout elementary and High school.

I also had more friends that got made fun of for whatever reason.

I never really liked watching football.

I was also more musically inclined, but that's more due to genetics and that I come from a musical family.

Oh, and there were times when I laughed at everything, such as the word "corn"

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One always hears this - "felt different as a kid." Well, everyone IS different in their own way.

How did I feel different?
    - was more reflective, analytical, and detailed about things than most kids my age, who let stuff slide
    - asked a lot of questions, which occasionally got irritating
    - spoke early and verbal-spelling test scores were high at a young age
    - enjoyed spending time alone and liked going to the library, reading anything in sight
    - loved facts and figures, and got a lot of them from encyclopedias
    - loved any kind of schedule (bus, train, plane, etc.), so that's not standard, by any means
    - wasn't averse to sports, and knew something about what major teams were doing, but it was a major "what's the big deal?" issue with me as to why it was important to other kids
    - even in HS, when people said, she or he has a "hot (little) bod," I didn't get it, because looks were mostly about someone's face, but I learned what a good bod was after that, by the time I got to college

How was I NOT different? I could, and did, basically talk to most of the people I went to school with, with a few windows (second high school) where that was not possible.

Either way, my parents were mostly all right, but even though I never got into trouble, got good grades, got a perfect driving test score, didn't smoke-drink-do drugs, they were never completely happy. It just wasn't good enough.

#13 Tightrope, Aug 24, 2013
  14. enigmeow

Oh my god.. this exactly describes what I went through (but swap the genders). All my male friends were going crazy over all the girls and I was feeling pretty despondent about how I just wasn't. I didn't understand what I was missing. My solution was to watch all the boys very carefully.. and for long periods of times.. and in the locker rooms.. etc.. Thinking that maybe I could figure out what I was missing.. I mean, the boys were obviously very attractive..

You get the idea...

15. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. This was me. I remember trying to fit in with the girls from a young age but never feeling like I belonged anywhere. Felt like an alien among them. Got along better with the guys simply because I happened to be into videogames and cartoons but again, it was like I didn't quite belong- I wasn't truly one of them but wanted otherwise.

So I ended up with a wide array of imaginary friends. Whoopdeedo.

Really, coming out and being part of the LGBT community's been the best thing for me- first place I've fit in anywhere, even as a transguy.

16. Belle

Yep, as far as I can remember I have always felt "different." I could never completely fit in with a group of boys or a group of girls. I always stood out. I used to think that I was some kind of alien trapped in a human body with a mission to understand the human race. I am not even kidding. Eventually, as I got older, I started to question my sexuality. I was in denial at first, but eventually learned to accept my differences. Definitely felt better about myself.

17. justjade

I always felt different. I was raised kind of oddly, but even beyond that, when reacting with the other kids, I always felt like I didn't belong with them. But that was long before I actually came to terms with my gender. I had some masculine tendencies as a kid, but I just assumed that it was kind of normal because there were plenty of girls that were very boyish. But as I got older, I was able to come to terms with myself and grow, but as a kid, I was kind of an outcast.

18. Harper

I felt different as a kid too. I think that it had more to do with me being autistic than anything else though.

19. Abbra

I've always just been.... weird.

I know that everyone says that they are weird, but I've always had troubles with social norms. It's not like I have aspergers or anything like that, it's just that I've never had the same thought process as everyone else. As a little girl, whenever I played house, I never really played it "right". I liked adding twists like our daughter getting kidnapped, or we were homeless and we played house in the car. I also never wanted to be the mom, because I didn't want to be married. I was lucky that I had strange friends as well, but even they got a bit tired of my not wanting to act like a normal little girl. I've always preferred my imagination to logic, and I still do.

It wasn't so much that I felt like an outsider, so much that people would show interest in my quirkiness, and then get bored with it. So in one hand my strangeness had benefits, but it also left me with trust issues. I was very shy as a kid because it was hard for me to say the right thing all the time, and I knew saying the wrong thing resulted in penalty.

As for my sexuality, I always told myself that I was too young to like boys, even though my friends liked boys. The concept of sexuality just didn't make sense to me. When I found out that two people of the same gender could be together, I was more surprised that there was a word for it. Hell, I started looking down women's shirts when I was 6 years old. Until there was a word for it, I thought it was natural. As I got older though, the above problems started manifesting themselves, and I soon became afraid of these feelings and realized that something was up, and that these feelings could result in penalty. So I got angry and hid them, and became more interested in fitting in.

In fact, the same time I began to accept my abnormalities was about the same time I really began to accept my feelings.

20. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm gonna have to say Shego was hotter but I digress.

But to answer the question I would actually become a different...somtging for a limited period of time like an animal or like a wizard or something. I guess that's a Tad odd but it stopped after around 7 thén I just was seriously quiet.
    So yayness I'm not alone:slight_smile:

#20 mickey1101, Aug 24, 2013