1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else feel nothing for the country they grew up in?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

Even though my family is Scottish I was born and had to grow up in England, I don't feel anything for England, I don't have any interest in the culture, the Royalty (Just a load of Celebrities to me) and the people who I went to school with etc. I never ever fit in, I guess part of it is being gay but I don't know. I have a UK passport but never identify as a nationality, if someone says I am English I deny it

2. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I like living in the US. I'm glad I was born here. But I have absolutely no pride in it. I didn't choose to be born here, it was an accident of birth, so I have no reason to claim it as something to be proud of. I'm not the landmass I was dropped from the cosmos onto.

3. ReyJ

Pretty much my views, I can't wait to move away from here. My family are from Italy and Ireland, and growing up I would much rather be referred to as Italian or Irish. I think the notion that I should support the country I was born in is ridiculous and outdated, especially because if I had been born 40 miles further south I'd be supporting France.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can't say I relate. I'm extremely proud of my country's accomplishments, if not of simply being a citizen here (like you said, random luck that I wasn't born in China, etc.) and I love everything it stands for*. Maybe it's just an American thing though; we're pretty big on patriotism XD.

*That is, the ideals of our founders, not necessarily the doings of our current government/populace.

5. KhanSaheb

The more I've traveled the world and experienced other cultures, the less "patriotic" I've become. If it wasn't for my little sister and how close we are, I would move to another country in a heartbeat. I'd also have no problem whatsoever renouncing my citizenship.

6. Stripe101

I plan to stay in the U.S. or at maybe Canada.
    I like my country.
    I'm just not proud of the things it's done.

7. chrisV

i feel the same about america. i'm not proud of anything america has done.

#7 chrisV, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  8. timo

I have no reason to complain about the Netherlands cause let's be honest it's a pretty good country to live in, yet I have no reason to have any sympathies towards it. It's just that the whole concept of countries objects me and it makes my blood boil.

9. josh9623

I have plenty of pride in what the U.S. is supposed to be, but I have very little pride in what it is now.

10. RoguesWolfe

I'd rather live any where else than America by this point.

11. Pocky

Sometimes I get frustrated with Australia's culture (or lack thereof) and the dominant heterosexism "Everyone is straight and lives in the suburbs with two kids and all men care about is sport and women".

The politics is pretty uninspiring. We're about to come up to our election and the two main topics have been "how much money will I get from the Government?" and a weird obsession over refugees and how they are managed.

However I'm thankful most of the time. Like, there was a thread recently about weapons and self-defence. I couldn't believe how many members here walk around with guns, knives etc. In Australia, I've never felt so afraid that I need a weapon for protection.

There's also some cool stuff here that I'd love to explore one day. Just take a big tour, but I'd kinda like someone to do that with first.

12. Foxface

no reason to be proud of a place I had no choice in choosing

But I like living here

Foxface

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm more-or-less indifferent towards it. Sure, I recognize the privileges and rights we have, but as far as patriotism goes, not so much, or at the very least, minimal.

I do have a strong sense of belonging and groundedness when it comes to the American Southwest, however, as a Mexican/Spanish/American Indian mix. It's difficult to explain to others who might pack their bags and move across the world at the drop of a hat, but this has always been home and I want to die here, just like each ancestor before me.

It's a feeling of oneness -- the history, the culture(s), the people. Instead of strict borders, I see it more like a continuum of similarities across North America.

14. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel hatred, shame and sorrow for my country.

Most of our history is that of thieves and cowards, men without any remorse or sympathy for our neighbours.
    Pointless civil wars, massacres against the native populations, the destruction of an entire nation in the hands of men that now show up in money.

I hate this country.

15. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like living here, but no real sense of pride exists.

16. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are some things I'm proud of the USA for such as the Founding Fathers and the constant pushing of liberating movements to better the human race.

However, I'm not so proud of the many countries the USA has invaded for the sake of Homeland Security. There's a difference between fighting for freedom and taking it away from others.

I'm also not really proud of the stereotype we've become: Fat, lazy, racist, arrogant assholes who have nothing better to do than business, nukes and invading other countries.

17. Californiacoast

I am pretty proud of this crazy experiment we call the USA. That our Constitution has lasted this long. That we don't jail, outlaw or kill people for being gay. That we survived a bloody civil war. That we help other countries with BILLIONS of dollars of aid. That we don't use chemical weapons on our on people. That we can have gay pride in MOST states and not be put in jail. (Mississippi excluded) All in all I am pretty happy, even proud to live here. If it was so bad, why are so many people dying to get past our boarders?

18. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I have no love for Australia. I actually hate it and the culture. I'm longing to be able to return to Finland to my extensive family there. Hopefully permanently.

19. Pocky

Money. And to escape the horrible atrocities inflicted upon their home country either directly or indirectly by the US.

People aren't jailed for being gay in the US but are jailed for almost everything else.

Sorry to be a party pooper. For the record I have always been fascinated by the US and would love to visit but you have to admit it's not all sunshine and roses.

20. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel no connection whatsoever to Romania. Never felt it, even when I was younger, save for maybe a sort of psycho nationalist phase. I even remember when I first found out how my country was called (I was about 5-6):

Mom: Romania

Me: That's such a stupid name! And why don't we speak English like the people on TV?